Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr Krabs build

Default Mr Krabs build

Some of the parts for my H&M Xzess 3 arrived today. Sorry if the pictures are not great but I used my cell phone at work to take them.

There is not a lot of room inside so careful attention to detail will be needed to make everything fit inside.

There is not a lot of wind resistance here....

There will be a bit of shaping the mounting brackets for the strut and rudder to make them blend in with the transom shape....

Several boats in various stages of destruction

Just to save me having to go try to read/translate German... what are the dimensions of this hull??

This build will be interesting to watch... Go forth and epoxy away!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

The strut and rudder are both Speedmaster and the turn fin is a Taipan fin.

The boat will be encouraged to plane with the following.... Neu 1521 1D, Castle 240 esc, Octura V947 prop, 4S 4500 30C lipo

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Just to save me having to go try to read/translate German... what are the dimensions of this hull??

This build will be interesting to watch... Go forth and epoxy away!
    Darin it is 33 1/2 inches long and 21 inches wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    Darin it is 33 1/2 inches long and 21 inches wide.

Thanks... That's cool then... Looks like you should have room to put everything in there... Will be watching with ENVY!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Thanks... That's cool then... Looks like you should have room to put everything in there... Will be watching with ENVY!
    Darin, I think we all envy your boat building skills. I hope the boat that had the accident is repairing well for you

Paddy,
    this is a great rigger, I have not bought one since the Euro is too strong these days...
    but you will have a bullet in your hands once it's done... specially with the setup you specified. I am just wondering if the 947 is an appropriate prop for the oval setup(?)
    But it will haul in the straights until it heats up...
    What happened to your "custom rigger"?
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Paddy,

Another straightline rocket? Just judging by the motor and prop choice

As UB asked, what happened with the BBY rigger?

I've attached a picture of the hardware of an XS3 from our July race meeting. I like the way the Speedmaster rudder is mounted to the side of the hull.

Cheers,
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scott T; 08-12-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Paddy I Like The Way You Mentioned " Will Be Encouraged To Plane With "
    ..........my Friend A 1521 Will Make Her Haul With Very Little Encouragement. I Will Also Be Watching. I'm Interested In The Krabs. Build Away.
    Last edited by tth; 08-12-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Hey Paddy, you don't want to build that hull. It runs like crap...........................With that said pack it up and send it my way
    Team Liquid Dash

Jan....... you are correct about the prop but I am only interested in straight line speed as I have no one to race here. I am told that this setup will give me speeds above 90 mph. My goal is to see 100 mph and that may not be with this boat, but if it even looks like going close then the turn fin will be removed and a SAW rudder installed and a few other mods that will give a little more speed will be made. There has been quite a few PM's exchanged with others that are getting speeds into the 90's. Your second question I will answer in my reply to Scott.

Scott....... Randy is still building the rigger. Basically it is finished except for painting. His health is not good so I told him to take his time. Randy told me that they have to see if his heart is ok for the operation he has to have. That does not sound good.
    Also he wanted one of those riggers for himself for a special meet he has coming up and knowing his health is bad I told him to use mine if he wants. I am not sure if he is going to use it or not.
    Your old NS 3 is still going well but I am not sure it will ever be faster than 50 mph. That hull is so hard to tune. On flat water it is great but put a ripple on the water and it can do anything. Anyway it is a good fun boat and does what I wanted it to do. ie. allows me to hold the throttle hard down for more than two seconds.

Tracy........ the "will be encouraged to plane with" part is just my sense of humour. Usually I play the part of the village idiot on OSE but for the purpose of this build I am trying my best to be serious but what is life without a smile occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    Hey Paddy, you don't want to build that hull. It runs like crap...........................With that said pack it up and send it my way
    When I get off the floor and stop laughing I will answer you Ray.
    That is not what John (m4a1usr) told me. There are some nice pics of his near the bottom of the link below...

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ighlight=krabs

It was a good try though Ray

Hey I had to try
    I have had my eye on that hull since it came out but I just can't afford another rigger.
    Team Liquid Dash

Quote Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
    I just can't afford another rigger.

That is what my wife keeps telling me Ray.

Paddy that hull will be great, you are right when you told me room is tight though. What did the wife say mate when that box arrived?

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Paddy that hull will be great, you are right when you told me room is tight though. What did the wife say mate when that box arrived?
    Andy as you know she is Chinese. There was a stream of Chinese words coming from her mouth in a raised voice. Then she stopped talking. Ahhh silence is golden.

I have been working all afternoon making a place to mount the rudder. I cut a hole in the side of the hull and glued some of that CF you gave to me in the hole I made it extend beyond the transom of the boat so I can run the rudder a little further back. I am drilling holes now to mount the rudder. All should be revealed tomorrow morning when I get home from work with some more pictures. I get my best boat building done at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    There was a stream of Chinese words coming from her mouth in a raised voice. Then she stopped talking. Ahhh silence is golden.
    Som man have all the luck in the world... if my wife found out about a Lehner 3060 I bought she'd kill me, revive me and kill me again

The rudder is now on. As you can see I have inserted some carbon fiber into the side of the hull so that is fits level with the outside of the hull. I wanted to mount the rudder a little further back so this seemed like a good way to do it. It has saved me shaping the aluminum rudder bracket to match the shape of the transom also.
    I have over filled it with epoxy as you can see but that will be sanded off later and the area painted

That thing looks like pure evil...lol Thanks for sharing your build.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    That thing looks like pure evil...lol Thanks for sharing your build.
    My pleasure Tom. I hope it helps someone else who might be building one. It is nice when others chime in with some pictures as Scott did to show how they done things too. The OSE forum has become a big part of my life and it is nice to give something back.

Paddy that CF looks familiar, I would sand it nice and flush and then some 2oz glass over the top and on the inside as well, not much weight and heaps of strength. I just glassed the frames on the whiplash and once dry you can not even see it unless you look. If you want a small peice let me know mate and will post it over with those props when they get here. It is looking god keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Paddy that CF looks familiar, I would sand it nice and flush and then some 2oz glass over the top and on the inside as well, not much weight and heaps of strength. I just glassed the frames on the whiplash and once dry you can not even see it unless you look. If you want a small peice let me know mate and will post it over with those props when they get here. It is looking good keep us posted.
    Andy a small piece of the glass would be great.
    I have the strut mounted on CF now and will put some more pictures on when I wake up. That CF is a great way to mount the hardware. I cut two strips of it and scuffed one side of each piece up and then glued them together so they made very strong brackets.

The strut and rudder are both on. Quite a lot of time was spent getting epoxy to the inside of the hull to make sure the CF is bonded to the hull securely. There is so little room towards the transom that the epoxy was put on a long artists paint brush and put in all the right places without making a mess inside.

The sanding and filling process has started and soon some undercoat will be put on this area

Both the rudder and strut are aligned perfectly according to all the tests I done to check them so I am very happy with the way things are proceeding.

pretty good idea for mounting the hardware. that is a sweet looking boat.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti27offshore View Post
    pretty good idea for mounting the hardware. that is a sweet looking boat.
    Thanks John. The carbon fiber brackets saved a lot of work shaping aluminum brackets.
    I always enjoy your builds and have stolen some of your ideas for my boats. You must have quite a large number of boats now.

Paddy, how secure is the strut mount? Are you going to reinforce your build?

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    Paddy, how secure is the strut mount? Are you going to reinforce your build?
    Jan, I copied some German text from the H&M site and got Google to translate it........
    "Xzess 3 was the competition for use in hydro-3 (20 cells) or designed for fun and extreme speed rider in the field of 16-22 cells. The model is in a mixed GFK-CFK sandwich construction made"
    I know the translation leaves a bit to be desired but I take it that the GFK-CFK sandwich construction means it is Glass fiber and Carbon fiber sandwich construction. It does have a large weave matt on the inside bottom half of the hull. I did not notice this matt in John's (m4a1usr). This hull is much stronger than the Xzess 2 hull and has very little twist in it, unlike the Xzess 2.
    I have made sure both the strut and rudder brackets are epoxied in well.
    Andy gave me quite a bit of CF strip and I will probably glue some of that to the high stress areas.

Here is a picture of the inside matt. This is only on the bottom half of the hull.

I should have cleaned the hull before I got the picture.
    Last edited by Xzessperated; 08-15-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Paddy,

Looking good. Andrew did something similar with his rudder mount, but he just screwed a piece of CF to the side of the hull, then the rudder mount to that. Yours will end up a lot neater once painted.

The XS3 sure is a wicked looking hull!

Paddy, just noticed something... you have a brass screw on the rudder assembly, I think that is a great idea to avoid major damage since the screw breaks before the CF... BUT
    you'll have to round off the top corner of the CF rudder mount if you want that support to swing up... do you see what I mean (post #23 first pic)? Unless you were planning in doing it and haven't gotten a chance to do it yet because I am such "trigger happy" fella... in that case... silly me.
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 08-15-2008 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    Paddy, just noticed something... you have a brass screw on the rudder assembly, I think that is a great idea to avoid major damage since the screw breaks before the CF... BUT
    you'll have to round off the top corner of the CF rudder mount if you want that support to swing up... do you see what I mean (post #23 first pic)? Unless you were planning in doing it and haven't gotten a chance to do it yet because I am such "trigger happy" fella... in that case... silly me.
    It is better to be trigger happy than let an old geezer like me forget something Jan. I have not got around to it but it is good you mention it because it helps newb's. I will make sure I post a picture of it after I do it so you can cross it off your list of "Paddy's things to do" lol.

Scott... I could not stand looking at that mess on the side of the boat so I went and got some white primer to cover it up.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast