Thread: My Meltdown

Default My Meltdown

Put the boat in the water for the second run after changing to 5.5mm bullets and smoked the ESC. Spoke to tech support and they said to send them pics and hopefully would hear back about a new boat or new ESC and Motor. Burned enough to discolor the hatch and surrounding areas of ESC.20131016_201459_resized.jpg20131016_201442_resized.jpg20131016_201521_resized.jpg20131016_201354_resized.jpg

Anybody else had one like this?

Yup mine did the same thing on the second run after buying it new. I sent pics of the boat and esc to Horizon and they sent me a whole new boat. It had bubbled the bottom paint, almost a hole in the boat. Hats off to Horizon, they had me back in the water in less than a week. By the way, I was running the exact 6s packs that it listed on the box.

After a 2 to 3 week review of my boat they are finally sending me a new one. Hope to have it back Friday. I think I'm gonna move down to 4s. Maybe it will last a little longer that way??

Hi.. This problem is known to Horizon Hobby. Blackjack 29 suffers in exactly the same way. Its the 1800kv motor thats fitted to blackjack 29 and impulse 31 that cant cope with 6s, it overheats. They say if you want to run impulse 31 or blackajck 29 on 6s that you should fit the lower revving 1500kv motor from the miss geico 29. Iv'e tried it and it works pretty well, no overheating issues!.....

I smoked my motor & esc while running 6S lipos today. Ran fine yesterday, with all temps 90F or below. Today it's a stinking black mess.burnt1.jpgburnt2.jpg

Got a new boat finally and started a few upgrades to prevent the first episode hopefully!!!
    20140504_170604_resized.jpg20140504_170550_resized.jpg

This is a swordfish pro 220 for 6s and a Sirius 1512. Hopefully have some videos to post soon.
    Last edited by DSC1; 05-09-2014 at 03:00 PM.

I don't care what proboat says, you cannot run 6s on an 1800kv motor in this hull and expect it to last. I just don't understand why they would do something like this.

On a side note, I have two 1500kv miss geico 6 pole motors that I'd even swap for the 1800kv version provided yours are in excellent shape because mine are. Pm me if interested.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Default I'm interested in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I don't care what proboat says, you cannot run 6s on an 1800kv motor in this hull and expect it to last. I just don't understand why they would do something like this.

On a side note, I have two 1500kv miss geico 6 pole motors that I'd even swap for the 1800kv version provided yours are in excellent shape because mine are. Pm me if interested.
    KFXGUY, I've got one 1800kv motor I'm willing to trade. It's the new one from my replaced Impulse 31 V2.

PM me if interested.

There are MANY threads of people frying the ESC on 6S. The reason is this-- while the ESC is rated for 22.2 volts, it is only an 80A ESC. So if you keep the stock prop on the boat, all it takes is a little hop out of the water and when the prop unloads and reloads, you get an AMP spike that kills it. The only safe way to run 6S stock is to drop down to a very small prop, like X440. But that slows the boat down... better off running 4S with a larger prop like x642.

Another problem, as mentioned above is 1800kv on 6S is really high RPM, a better 6S motor is the 1500kv.

If you want a 6S boat that is reliable, you should use a 180A ESC.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    There are MANY threads of people frying the ESC on 6S. The reason is this-- while the ESC is rated for 22.2 volts, it is only an 80A ESC. So if you keep the stock prop on the boat, all it takes is a little hop out of the water and when the prop unloads and reloads, you get an AMP spike that kills it. The only safe way to run 6S stock is to drop down to a very small prop, like X440. But that slows the boat down... better off running 4S with a larger prop like x642.

Another problem, as mentioned above is 1800kv on 6S is really high RPM, a better 6S motor is the 1500kv.

If you want a 6S boat that is reliable, you should use a 180A ESC.

Chief
    I am unsure of the hull efficiency of this model but almost no matter what hull (Cat or V) you should never run 6s on ESCs that are not rated for 180 AMPS continuous... Example: Spartan (V2 Castle setup) states it has 90 amps continuous but with a 300 amp burst... That does NOT make sense ratings wise, especially since I have been through 2 of those stock ESCs... Not touching 6s again with my Spartan... I would recommend that your battery wires are shorter, yours seem a bit long. Seems odd that they put the 6s on the box... They should have put flames around the ESC picture...lol
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    With the wealth of knowledge about fe boating on this forum and others, how in gods name do these companies make mistakes like this? Traxxas and proboat make 6s boats with 80 amp escs..... It's just stupid..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by drewluvskarin69 View Post
    KFXGUY, I've got one 1800kv motor I'm willing to trade. It's the new one from my replaced Impulse 31 V2.

PM me if interested.
    If you look carefully (well, you don't really need to look that hard!), you'll notice that the replacement 1800KV motor is considerably different than the previously supplied version. It's a "substantially" improved motor. I'd highly recommend it if you can get it in trade!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    With the wealth of knowledge about fe boating on this forum and others, how in gods name do these companies make mistakes like this? Traxxas and proboat make 6s boats with 80 amp escs..... It's just stupid..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No mistake, no mistake at all.... It's so you buy it, and many do.... I think it's called a Marketing Tactic....lol, I was just visiting the Traxxas forums and there they go again blocking more things that don't have Traxxas in the same sentence... Lovin' OSE! But it is a Mistake, with a capital M!
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Ok so I got it in the water and have my first video. Water was a little rough and so is the video and my driving.

http://youtu.be/K7-lWhk4SL4

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    If you look carefully (well, you don't really need to look that hard!), you'll notice that the replacement 1800KV motor is considerably different than the previously supplied version. It's a "substantially" improved motor. I'd highly recommend it if you can get it in trade!
    Agreed its not the motors I see go out the ESCs usually go before the motors get the chance.
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S