Thread: Alien Power systems ESC's

Default Alien Power systems ESC's

Anyone use Alien Power system ESc's ?........ they look like fighter cat's. There seems to be anything you need from 100amps to 420amps but these things are really big. Prices are very reasonable like $240.00 for a 300amp marine version.Any input would help since no more Castle units are available.

Still looking for more input or reviews on these ESC's if anyone knows. I am empty as far as ESC's go and can no longer do any SAW boating....no more Castles. Looking for a 300-400amp unit in anything that has high amps and reverse functions.
    Last edited by Gary; 06-03-2014 at 05:01 PM.

I have a castle 240 I might would sell.

If the alien are the same thing as the fightercat then they are decent. The fightercat 101 doesn't really have an official rating but it looks pretty beefy. I have a couple of them and they work pretty well.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Sorry but no more with Castle. Not enough amp rating to last. Update; Just saw the swordfish 300/380...going to give it a try.My spikes are sometimes to 380-400amps so it might just survive.
    Last edited by Gary; 06-03-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Anyone on the Alien's before I take a chance? Will be getting the 400amp 16s version.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Anyone on the Alien's before I take a chance? Will be getting the 400amp 16s version.
    I have one but haven't tried it yet.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I will receive two big ones (the third pair after getting two pairs which were not as intended).
    Yes, it is flier-style.
    I would open the ESC and check, if everything is as it is expected.
    Last edited by Ralf; 08-29-2014 at 05:39 AM.
    WR T-Mono 108.95mph

Received my two 450A ESCs (72Fets...).
    Build well now.
    If you are thinking about buying a flier-basic-ESC i think Bruno is the one where you should buy it.

He trys to help and he gives you Support and warranty.

But it is anyway a flier
    WR T-Mono 108.95mph

Bruno is very helpful, I just received my 350amp from him for a truck, also sent a 450 amp flier to him for repair and conversion to marine, flier never worked from the word go and about as cheap to repair by Bruno than to send back to china

Where is Bruno?

http://alienpowersystem.com/

this is his website

Dont expect much from these esc,s. ive tried two different models and niether lasted more than a handfull of runs.The 300a 16s version was never pushed near its limits and still smoked.They are a pain to arm and I dont think i ever really managed to get full throttle from it. At first glance they look well made but they areall show and no go.Mine were directly from flier and they are still using FC branded boards and jackets. The bottom side water jacket is basically dead weight. The board itself is way too thick to pass heat through and they use way too much thermal paste making it even less effective.Many places have tried selling these at on time or another and most of them eventually stopped selling them.There is also a thread on endless sphere where an alien unit was tested and it went up in smoke waaayy below its rated amps.

Well I bought one and what a F***ing mistake. I am so pissed off with this Alien ESC you have no idea. Not only could I not get the programming to work off the computer including downloading files right from brunos account direct, I bought the program box and it still will not work. No link from the transmitter, no programming from the box and with 2 hours in I am done. This was the last hope for a ESC that would work in my Phil Thomas boat that I have had for years and now I am done!! Have been into cars, heli's and boats and have come across some difficult times with ESC's but this is a total joke. All for sale on Ebay if anyone wants to give it a try that knows more than me!!

Sorry to hear the news but im not surprised. But before you totally give up let me see if I can help you get it working. It can be a real PITA, easily the worst ive owned when it comes to initially getting it working. First question I will ask is did you download the prolific usb driver from the alien site. The computer program will not work unless you do. The programing box is not marked as to what way it goes. Did you try every possible way to hook it up. Are you using a separate battery pack to power the box. did you hook it to the box first and then to motor and lipo. Its safest to use a lower voltage lipo than the one you plan to use if you can. What type of radio are you using.

Take a look at the MGM controllers. May cost more upfront but you'll save in the long run over countless burned ESC's. Get them from Brian at rocketcityracing.com.

Tried Prolific using Bruno's password with no luck so purchased the program box....no luck. Did everything you have listed and although I have things going on it still will not bind or program....lots of beep's. At this point i have no faith in this controller and can not take the chance. Others do but I am done and will either sell off the boat or look to convert the ICE 200 Castles and see if it works. I have spikes of 375 amps so it will be tough. MGM looks great but with the options I will be at 1,000.00 and thats getting a little crazy at that point!

What hull/motor combo are u running? After my FC esc smoked i bought a castle xl2. Its for 1/5 scale cars but i read that it has the same inards as the now discontinued 240 boat version.It took some work to watercool it but nothing too crazy. It has the added advantage of a fan so you can use both water and air cooling. If you use the computer program to set it up there is a current limitting feature. It works like the LVC protection so it can be used to protect the unit from too much amps and allow you to play with your setup until you get the amps down to a place where it is happy.I believe the default setting was 240a.I have it in my .45 rigger. Unfortunately my motor had an issue and had to go back for repair so i only tried it a cple times but hoping to do more testing the wknd.

Thanks for the info on the 1/5. I am going to try it, now that I am off the edge LOL. This is going to be the answer to my esc problems I hope!!
    Last edited by Gary; 09-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Ya been there done that....lol.The FC/alien type esc,s can be really aggravating for sure. I had hi hopes for mine but looking back they are really behind the times with the features. They dont even have thermal protection which almost all esc,s now have. To water cool the castle I used three of the water blocks similar to what OSE carries. One on top and two on the sides. I held them on with hi temp automotive silicone. Not the prettiest but should be effective.A t180 water block fits perfectly on the top but my rigger hatch wouldnt fit over it. I then mounted my fan to blow lengthwise through the esc instead of on the top.

Do you remember the specs as far as the maximum amps on the program screen for the 1/5th? 240amps I think is the lowest and 300 the highest? like the hydra 240 used to be. I spike sometimes at 350-375.
    Last edited by Gary; 09-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.

did you ever get the alien esc up and running?

Quote Originally Posted by robw View Post
    did you ever get the alien esc up and running?
    Are you having issues?

mine is working fine, only issue was me with mine, I set it up with the red wire removed from receiver plug, like in a castle xl2, this esc is in a truck, once wire refitted was ok, downloaded from the aps site, everything working fine and programming the esc is surprisingly easy.

The program box is a charm, as long as they get the quality control down pat they will be a great product. I had a few of the 'firsts' and smoked a few and had one arrive dead but others have been great.

What size esc do you guys have? I'm looking at the 180 or 250 amp models. Are they still working as they should?
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie