Thread: Dynamite 6s help to connect to the geico motor, different color on motor cable.

Default Dynamite 6s help to connect motor (fixed) hull modify sandpaper to hull question

Hi.
    I have a pro boat miss geico and i have just buy a new 80a dynamite esc. When i look at the impulse connection the esc cables goes like this:
    Esc red to motor red
    Esc white to motor white
    Esc black to motor blue

The miss geico is different like this:
    Esc red to motor blue
    Esc black to motor white
    Esc white to motor red

How should i connect the 80a esc when 1500kv motor is connected with other colors on geico than the impulse with 80a?

Thanks a lot for help so i could finish my boat :-)

Edit: it works fine now, but it only beep one time when it powered on, and i need advice to modify the hull to get better room for 3s battery
    Last edited by waterproof; 05-24-2014 at 04:08 PM.

It really doesn't matter! The important thing to check is after the connection is done, connect the batteries and give your throttle a blip, see how the motor is turnning, ( check the direction of the rotation). If it is correct, you are done! :) If not, swap any two and try again until rotation is correct. It is nice to match the color, but some of us have only black wires and this is somewhat a random act . I connect the wires first according to their physical position in relation to each other, I want the best arrangement first, and then I see if I get lucky with the motor rotation, start swapping wires from there...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    It really doesn't matter! The important thing to check is after the connection is done, connect the batteries and give your throttle a blip, see how the motor is turnning, ( check the direction of the rotation). If it is correct, you are done! :) If not, swap any two and try again until rotation is correct. It is nice to match the color, but some of us have only black wires and this is somewhat a random act . I connect the wires first according to their physical position in relation to each other, I want the best arrangement first, and then I see if I get lucky with the motor rotation, start swapping wires from there...
    Thanks alot! It spin the right way now when i connect it as the impulse.
    I have use the program card and it beep 2 times when i use it and that is ok.
    But when i connect the battery and turn on the boat it only beep one time, the manual say it should beep 5 times. Got any ide why it only beep one time?
    The reciever have orange light.

I have try it now with the new esc and everything works fine but it still beep only one time.
    I broke the stock plastic prop after 2 minutes so its more powerfull now and fun to drive :-)

The 3s battery is realy hard to get into the boat, its 5400mh hardcase, the edge around the opening is broke and i must bend/stretch the fiberglass to the max and then put it in sideways.
    Im afraid to get cracks to my boat, but i guess its flexible so it could handle a bit before it got cracks?
    The paint in the edge under the hatch is gone after the thin line is broke away because of the battery is to big, do i need to add paint where the hull have damage? Im going to upload a pics of it because my english is poor.

Be careful with the hull, there is some flex but I would try to avoid using hard cased lipo in general for boats. When you touch up with paint be sure you find compatible paint, some paint will " eat' existing paint. I don't think you should add paint if you continue to use those batteries, it will flake away whatever paint you add on when you flex the FG hull---be careful you don't crack the hull! . I run 4s2p and I had to grind away some of the wooden battery rail in the boat. I have the 1st generation of MG, it maybe is different on later models.
    Good Luck!

image.jpg
    Thimage.jpg

The first pics shows the line/edge around there the battery is with broken edge to the left side, and littlebit longer than the battery lenght, the first thing that happen was that the thin edge get broken when i try to mount the battery for the first time, and after that i took and cut it away and use sandpaper to get it smooth as you can see on pics two to the left side.

Have it anything to say if i dont add glue or paint here?
    I also using sandpaper to the wood edge and it help alot, but i need to stretch it maby 2-3mm to get the battery in and out there the 3s pack is..

It hurt a bit to me when i did this to the hull, but it have nothing to say? Just spend my saving money to it and i want to be carfully, but i was to excited to wait to thursday again before i could get smaller batteries, and since i found the same battery as my 2s i save money for buying a new 2s to match a smaller 3s, so i only have to buy one 3s today to get 5s total. Its good to have many mh as possible too,

I can't tell if there is any damage to the actual hull, the rough edge you sanded is a good move, sanding away the wood edge wasn't enough for me, I used Dremel to grind away the wood. If the paint is not peeling, don't mess around with it. if it is peeling, then coat over the under edge with paint. I have even used CA to coat other hulls with slight damage.

Yes, i could try to take a pics from inside under the edge.
    Its not peeling to the edge because i have use sandpaper there, inside the hull it not paint, but coat?
    Do you think i need to add something inside under the edge or the boat need to replace coat everywhere it been rubbed away or maby not because its inside the boat and not outside?

It not vissible from the outside, its more that i would know that everything is ok and nothing could get damaged if it touch water on the spots where i use sandpaper :)

No, if you don't have a crack on the hull, you are OK! :) Underside is just Fiber Glass cured epoxy, no paint, no coat, no worries! :)
    Forgive me if I confused you, what I wanted to know was if there was a real crack, but it seems from your answer that there is none. No water will enter! You can "massage the hull outside and see if there is hairline crack, if you don't see anything, don't lose any sleep over it----I am the same way, I understand how this feels!

image.jpgThank you. I finaly got a photograp under inside and it was not easy but i think i got two god pics so i upload them anyway :)image.jpg

Hehe, its stupid to get hang up just for a hull, but its ok to ask about it so i dont loose sleep lol.
    The massage thing, you mean that i could push easy outside and look after small crack outside to the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by waterproof View Post
    Hehe, its stupid to get hang up just for a hull, but its ok to ask about it so i dont loose sleep lol.
    The massage thing, you mean that i could push easy outside and look after small crack outside to the paint?

YES! Apply pressure and see, but do it gently , lol... It's not the paint you should worry about, I mean to see if there is crack in the actual fiber glass hull----I really don't think you need to worry about that, I was just saying...

It looks fine, so everything is fine, its just typical to get some trouble after a trip to the city for buying thing you think its just plug and play.
    The geico was more fun to run now :-) everything was cold, the motor cables was a bit hot but not hot at all. So maby this telling me that i should upgrade to another 3s and run 6s later this summer, or do i beg for trouble? :-)
    The motor have 300 less kv then a stock impulse so maby it will work without frying the motor cables with this 1500kv motor.

Do you know why the esc beep only one time when i turn it on?
    The manual to geico and impulse says that should beep 5 times.

I realy dont need more power than 5s on the geico :) it was just a tought..
    The weight on both side is different because the 3s is heavier, should i add more weight to the side where the 2s is mounted or leave it as light that is possible? I think it leaning to the heaviest side when i have mutch trottle..

Well, because you have torque so I will put the heavier pack on the portside. The boat would want to "lean" to the starboard side under full acceleration/power, but it depends if you can pass the battery to the porrtside where there is also the water outlet ( if I remember correctly)
    No, I don't know why the ESC only beeps once, I haven't used a stock Proboat ( Dynamite) ESC for a long time.
    The motor wire will always get warm or hot, and stock 3.5mm plug is really too small for good current flow, you may want to up grade to at least 5.5mm bullet on everything: Motor-ESC-batteries. My MG with a Leopard 4082/2200kv on 4s2p makes the motor to ESC wires very warm, I had run the boat once for more than 6 minutes and the wires heated the inner lid so much that it had a bubble!
    I agree that 5s is good for sport running, how is the prop? I guess you are lucky on that one, that's great news!

The prop broke after 2 minutes of running with the new esc and 5s setup.
    Lucky for me that i had a new one to replace it with.
    Im waiting for the pro boat steel prop with the same size. Hope its enough balanced..
    I dont think the battery would fit to the left side of the boat ( when you stand behind the boat)
    Another time i will spend money on new smaller lipos but right now i cant spend anymore to this hobby :)
    I have never broke something to my boat before, i thought it was only grass or something but when i take it up from the water i see that the one blade was gone. It sounds like i had gas two stroke motor :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Well, because you have torque so I will put the heavier pack on the portside. The boat would want to "lean" to the starboard side under full acceleration/power, but it depends if you can pass the battery to the porrtside where there is also the water outlet ( if I remember correctly)
    No, I don't know why the ESC only beeps once, I haven't used a stock Proboat ( Dynamite) ESC for a long time.
    The motor wire will always get warm or hot, and stock 3.5mm plug is really too small for good current flow, you may want to up grade to at least 5.5mm bullet on everything: Motor-ESC-batteries. My MG with a Leopard 4082/2200kv on 4s2p makes the motor to ESC wires very warm, I had run the boat once for more than 6 minutes and the wires heated the inner lid so much that it had a bubble!
    I agree that 5s is good for sport running, how is the prop? I guess you are lucky on that one, that's great news!
    I have install and run the stock impulse 31 steel prop now, running it 4 times with this prop on 5s, the flex in the strut have under 0,5mm of opening so its not 100% tight, how should it be there? Not easy to say how big the gap is but its maby 0,3mm gap, you could feel the flex moving littlebit to the side but not mutch, talking about when the flex is inside the strut, what is normal? Trying to figure out if the prop kills the strut bearing or not :)

Here is a pics
    Attachment 115967

After i push it almost all way in it feels more tight than the posision on the pics but the flex seems to have the same thicknes so that was maby strange
    Last edited by waterproof; 05-28-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Can't see your picture.
    Do not judge by how much room you have between the strut and the cable, it is the tolerance between the actual stub shaft and the bushing you need to pay attention. Push the prop all the way in and "wiggle " it and see if it has too much free play.
    Hope that makes it more clear...