Thread: Delta Force 29 newbie build

Default Delta Force 29 newbie build

Greetings everyone! I thought I would post up my first steps into non-rtr boating. I realize that this is pretty simple stuff for most of you guys, but it was fairly intimidating for me.

Some history:
    A couple weeks ago I crashed my Aquacraft Revolt 30 pretty hard into some rocks and severely damaged the hull.
    Thread about it here: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-advice-please

Anyway, I decided to buy the DF 29 hull, and a few other associated items from our host. (Extremely pleased with OSE's service by the way!)
    The idea was a budget build using the hardware and electronics from the Revolt in the new hull.

Equipment specs:
    Delta Force 29 hull
    Aquacraft Revolt hardware (grimracer?)
    Aquacraft 60amp esc
    Aquacraft 3656 1800kv 6-pole motor
    4s 5100mah lipo
    Octura x445 prop
    Savox 1258tg servo (I know it's overkill but I had it laying around)
    Airtronics 92524 reciever and MT4S transmitter

On to the pictures! ...

First a couple shots comparing the size difference between the two hull. (The DF29 is .5" shorter and about 1" wider than the Revolt.

Last edited by danallen; 12-09-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Having never built a boat before, I wasn't sure where to start. I decided to begin with simply marking a centerline on the transom as a reference point for the hardware.

And drilled my first hole in my virgin hull.

After a couple of hours of carefully measuring everything... and a few wild guesses thrown in for luck, the stern was starting to look near completion.

Well, I had no idea where to mount the electronics so off to google for some info (because the internet is always right. ...right?) I read that most mono hulls seem to like the cg around 28%-30% so thats what I shot for. Pretty much I just set everything in place and slightly adjusted everything around until I was happy with the weight balance. With my 4S battery all the way back the cg is about 25%, but I ordered 350mm battery tray with the hull, so there is plenty of room to move it forward to adjust the cg.

At last I was nearing completion. I finished a few things, slapped some stickers on the hull and took a few completion pictures.

looks mint
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Unfortunately, I have only been able to run the boat twice since building it. Very busy with work, but such is the life of a military man.
    It is fast! quite a bit faster than my friends stock revolt. It accelerates great and turns great, but at high speed I cannot hold full throttle in a straight line for more than a second or two or it wheelies out of the water. I have since adjusted the prop down a few degrees, hopefully that will settle it down some (yet to be tested).

Also, I've made a couple of upgrades/changes since building the boat that I thought I'd share.
    I sold the AQ 60a ESC and ordered a seaking 180a v3 from our host to replace it. Also, the Savox servo got removed to serve in my Tekno SCT, and a Hitec HS-5646WP was installed in its place. Lastly I replaced the 92524 receiver with an RX-461 that has telemetry so I can keep better track of motor temps while running. Unfortunately, the Seaking 180's bec only goes to 6.0v and I'd like to run at 7.2v so I may add an external bec in the future. I'm also toying with the idea of buying a receiver box, as opposed to shoe glueing by receiver, cap and maybe ext-bec to the hull like I have now, any recommendations?

One last question; What timing does the AQ 3656 1800kv 6-pole motor like?

Stay tuned for the next update when I get the new ESC installed and get some testing done.
    Bye for now!
    -Dan

P.S. a pic of the new servo and receiver (the small nylon tie on the motor is holding the telemetry temp sensor) minus ESC:

Last edited by danallen; 11-04-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Nice clean build there Dan.
    But one thing worries me. Having the motor mount just glued to the hull on its own can usually result in it tearing away in a good tumble. The battery tray too.
    I usually epoxy a piece of 1/4" carbon fiber tube from the transom, against the motor mount, & up to the front of the battery tray. This bonds everything to the hull a lot more strongly. And it also makes the hull & motor mount much more rigid. Sand the areas that epoxy will contact, & wipe it down with Acetone to get rid of the waxy film in the hull. Nothing sticks to that very well. Works in cats & hydros too.
    Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the tip, Ill look into some CF tubes. Is there a certain brand or strength I should look for? Or just any 1/4 cf tube.

Also, Do you epoxy the whole thing or just every couple inches?

No special brand. A good thick wall or even a rod. I generally salvage my sons broken arrow shafts & use them. If you have a local hobby shop, they usually sell carbon tubes. Especially if they sell kite making stuff. I've even used tubes from Hobbyking. Plenty strong enough.
    I Epoxy all the way, with plenty on the engine mounts & battery tray.
    Be sure to sand the rods with some 240 grit, or so, paper too.

I bought some 1/4" CF tube at the hobby store and installed it today. The motor mount is much more sturdy now.

Today I got my new ESC installed. I also replaced the esc/motor 4mm bullets with 6.5mm bullets. I honestly never felt any heat after a run with the 4mm ones, but I don't want a problem in the future. Especially since I'm considering upgrading to a bigger motor, but that topic is for another time.
    I did some googling and found that the stock AQ 60a esc has its timing set at 11. So I set the timing on the Seaking to 11.25, it was the closest setting available. I suspect AQ knows their motors better than I do, so why change it.
    Next, I'm thinking about a new motor. The castle 1515 2200kv is the one in sight right now. We'll see, I would like to run the boat as is a few times and learn a bit more about trim/strut adjustments before I put in a bigger motor.
    Thanks for reading.
    -Dan
    Edit: I forgot, I also read that it was a good idea to pour some epoxy into the tip of the bow. So I did that as well. Not alot just about 3/8".

Nice build Sir

Dan.
    Cuppa is 100% right.
    For a first build you did everything pretty much spot on.
    Congratulations on a job well done.

Of course you do understand that videos are a compulsory part of the deal, don't you.

That is a fine build! Especially as your first one. Congrats!
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S