Thread: Port side sponson lifting on sport hydro ?

Default Port side sponson lifting on sport hydro ?

Hi all im running a Forrester Hydromite hull length 16.25'' beam 8.125'' with .25 oz of lead glued inside of each sponson tip at time of construction sport hydro powered by a 2700 kv motor with 3s 11.1v lipo turning a x430 prop .Hulls c of g works out to be 2.125'' behind sponson transom.The depth of the sponson's is .625'' im running a flat bottom strut set at 9/16'' depth with 10 degrees of downward thrust the port side sponson starts to lift out of the water at about 38 mph followed by a blowover . What adjustments should i be looking at to correct the lifting of the port sponson? Regards Andris Golts.

I would start by removing the turn fin. You are running a fin on the starboard side correct? Run the hydro and you will learn a lot. The fin can lift the starboard side, run neutral, or pull down the starboard sponson. The lift or pull down will corkscrew the hull down the strait and and cause it to blow over. Next use a set-up board and set the rudder. Start neutral and 90 degrees to the board. Same issue, if its tucked under or out it will change the attitude of the boat if you slightly turn going down the straits. There are other potential areas to cover but I would start here first. Let us know your results.

Allen

Many sport hydros will lift the left sponson particularly at the end of a straight. Prop torque causes this on FE, gas and nitro boats, it is a well known phenomenon. It could be boat design. Too big a prop or too much power for the hull. Weight bias is the usual cure.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for