Thread: Lucas Oil sponson blueprinting

Default Lucas Oil sponson blueprinting

It appears that the sponson area near the transom, just behind the last step in each sponson has a little bit of hook built into. I'd like to blueprint the sponsons and was wondering if this hook needs to be there to keep the boat from porpousing.

Thanks!

Jeff
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)

I'm about to find out
    beating amsoil boat. 1 race at a time !!!

Get rid of it..

Your on the right track

Grim

Weird that it needs it. There was a Lucas oil boat at the lake yesterday and he was finishing 3/4 a lap ahead of the rest of the field. I'm running a PB mystic and set up a geico for Jessie, a buddy that doesn't have a p-limited cat. Tony was running a AQ MC as was the son of the Lucas oil boat driver ( forgot names). We were all pretty close in speed but that Lucas oil boat was just Rollin, he said all he did was put a prop on it, said he didn't even touch the strut.

Sure made me want to sell of my geicos and mystic so I can get a Lucas oil boat.

Once the hook (or rocker for that matter) is gone the boat is easer to tune. thats all.

grim

Heck, at my age the rocker is about all I look forward to http://th06.deviantart.net/fs30/PRE/...dyiverzzen.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

You and me both old man.. (wait.. Im catching ya...lol)

Glad to see you guys ROCKING AND ROLLING!

Grim

Grim,

The rock 'n roll in D19 West, particularly P-Ltd Cat is due in large part from the acceptance of FE by the Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association (SCSTA) ; the sweetest bunch of guys you'll find anywhere. They've now opened up 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale FE classes and they're growing as well.

I'm jazzed that now some nitro/gas racers are picking up on how much fun the P-Ltd Cat class is. The good news is that they help populate the entries to make the class ( bad news is that the know how to DRIVE ).

Yesterday there was some of the best racing ever ; closely matched boats, drag racing side-by-side from one turn to the next - Oh yeah ! My MC goes full throttle through the turns and for the first time I didn't chicken out and go wide in a four boat cluster entering a turn ; just dove in, pinned it, winced, and came out ahead in lane one - may sound insignificant to some but it sure got my toes a-tappin' !

After two good P-Ltd Cat race seasons, I think { what I basically believed all along} that the MC is the most capable contender now that things are sorting out. I just acquired a second one just because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMTnLHDWRA
    Last edited by properchopper; 05-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Love it man. love the story.. Racing is about making storys.

Keep up the good work..

BTY.. nice job on the boat review last month.. email be at mzaborowski@hobbico.com. It might be worth putting you in touch with the folks that send out review boats. Not sue we can do anything but what the heck.. we can always ask..

Grim

That was me.

what.. I thought............... I read...........

Send me your info via email...lol

Grim

This hull kicks ass! I love it. And absolute truth, all I did was prop.

If anybody's looking for a blueprinting tutorial, I have one here --it is for the Miss Geico/Blackjack, but applicable to any cat).
    It covers strut, rudder, then blueprint.

http://www.rcchiefhobbies.com/Tutorials.html

Chief

need more help from Auqucraft on my racing endeavors ....help
    beating amsoil boat. 1 race at a time !!!

I just got a Lucas Oil cat. I intend to blueprint the bottom as described above. When I put the boat on a set up board, I noticed the strut was set with a LOT of neg.angle (similar to how you might set up a rigger) and the back of the strut was below the bottom of the boat. Is this a typical set up? My gas cat is just the opposite, positive angle with the strut just above the bottom. Is the strut setting correct out of the box?

Oh Boy Jim, PLC is gong to be fun now !!!

I like to run the strut up high to keep the motor a tad unloaded & up a bit to get the front of the sponsons out of the water under wot.

DSC06326.JPG

mine : back of strut is about 1.5 mm above sponsons with a very small neg angle

+1 on what Propperchopper said. Also, if you blueprint you can run the strut angle flat. See my note above for a how-to on blueprinting.

Chief

Thanks to the info. I watched your tutorial and blueprinted the bottom the way you suggested. It came out very nice. Flat & sharp edges.
    Jim

I just received my Lucas boat yesterday and was wondering about strut height. The Lucas hull has stepped sponsons, and when set on a flat surface the back of boat is up off of surface due to the stepping. Should I set as boat sits? Or do I hold back of hull down on surface and then set height?

I just got the Lucas Oil from Jim looking forward to what guys end results were with the blueprint and if anyone has input on what moomba45 just posted.

I don't have back-to-back GPS data for a before/after comparison yet but I can verify that the boat needs much less positive angle on the strut to carry the bow, which should equate to higher speed. After blueprinting, I ran the boat with the same strut angle as before, and the boat porpoused because it no longer needed that much positive angle. The boat handles better and certainly appears faster.
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)