Thread: Counterfeit Seaking?!

Default Counterfeit Seaking?!

Tried searching for past posts, either I don't do it well or there is nothing about this.

Anyway, I'm completely new to the hobby, and I was gathering parts yesterday to put together my first boat. For the task, I wanted to get a Hobby Wing Seaking 120A, and while taking my time deciding which other parts to order, OSE ran out of stock for this particular ESC, so I had to order it from elsewhere.

No other place had it at a good price as here, finally I settled on eBay listing, where the price was a little bit higher. Btw, the seller marked it as "shipped" a few minutes after ordering.

Later, I saw that what's on the picture is different from what is shown on the picture of OSE and other reputable stores, including Hobby Wing site itself. It is very easy to deceive people, who just started with the hobby.

Bad:

Good:

Anyway, I ordered the good one from another place, and sent a message to the eBay seller. Hopefully he'll refund me, if not, I'll ship it back when I get it (they accept returns).

I don't know how good those counterfeit ESC's are, I just wanted to make sure I have a good start with the hobby.

The picture shows an esc that "looks" different from the other Seaking. I think the oldest version of the Seaking 120 had that configuration but, it doesn't exist anymore. Most likely you would receive one that looks the same as the second picture BUT, I could be wrong...

We shall see won't we?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I agree with Ray as I had one of the very early 120's and it looked like the first picture...sold it with my RTR Aquacraft VS-1.
    Pete
    I let the dogs out...

Oh, I didn't know that. Oh well, worst (or best?!) case scenario, I'll have two of those in my hands---will be a good excuse to make another boat :)

Yes, there are more than a few places that still use the old picture. Chances are that you will be getting the current version.

Also a turngy is a hobbywing with a different sticker. Uses the same program card. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._boat_esc.html

For your reference , the picture on Kintec's site is yet different: http://kintecracing.com/ESC_s.html

Cool

This line of esc's is marketed under several names, Seaking, turnigy, hobbywing & skywing. Turbojet esc's used to look just like turnigy / dealings, but now they look like shenzhen ? ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 04-29-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    This line of esc's is marketed under several names like, Seaking, turnigy, hobbywing & skywing. Turbojet esc's used to look just like turnigy / dealings, but now they look like shenzhen ? ....
    "They" all look alike.lol...... Like I said, I can say that, ( I am from China)

That I haven't seen, but there is alot of re-branding going on. I guess...

Thats a Suppo design. AKA: Skywing, Birdie, HK Super Simple, Mystery, Turbo Jet, D5r Beast DNA, GX, Hi-Model, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    This line of esc's is marketed under several names, Seaking, turnigy, hobbywing & skywing. Turbojet esc's used to look just like turnigy / dealings, but now they look like shenzhen ? ....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks for the replies. I just thought the two pictures are very different. The old (or what I thought--knock off) model has the cooling inlet and outlet on opposite sides, and the new version is on the same side. Either way, looks like I'll end up having two perfectly usable speed controls :) What I won't have is about a 100 dollars.

The Seaking/Turnigy range of ESC's are also marketed as 'Top Edge'.
    I have a 60A & 90A version that came with a couple of ready to run Boats. But scroll down this page a bit & you'll see the 25A, 35A, 60A, 80A, 90A, 120A & 180A. They are not copies, just the same ESC's with a different label.

http://www.fuyuanrc.com/dept.asp?mfr=136

You'll see that Top Edge also have their name on many different well known items from motors to connectors to radio gear, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    The Seaking/Turnigy range of ESC's are also marketed as 'Top Edge'.
    I have a 60A & 90A version that came with a couple of ready to run Boats. But scroll down this page a bit & you'll see the 25A, 35A, 60A, 80A, 90A, 120A & 180A. They are not copies, just the same ESC's with a different label.

http://www.fuyuanrc.com/dept.asp?mfr=136

You'll see that Top Edge also have their name on many different well known items from motors to connectors to radio gear, etc.
    Thanks for the tip, idk that