Thread: lipo battery discharge rating

Default lipo battery discharge rating

Hi guys, I have talk to some friends about the discharge rating an did some research on this,
    an what I found is so companies r hyping up or lying , to sale batteries for profit .
    What I found is , lipo technology can only get to 50c discharge rate at this time,
    so plz be careful when u buy batteries , an don't get caught up in the hype,
    plz post your thoughts on this. thanks Darryl

Do you have any documentation or proof where this 50c max Lipo technology comes from? Just curious and would like to read it.

Most claimed 65c lipos you will be lucky to see half of that or just over.

How do you know? Have you done any professional testing to prove this out? Documentation would be helpful.

Go to rcgroups.com forum & under Batteries & chargers go to Battery Load Testing. Theirs extensive testing been done by some of the best name batteries around with some surprising results, over 100 pages with some very interesting reading.

thanks Martin, I too read that on rcgroups in my search on this.

Most high c rated lipos typically use 10 gauge wires I believe a few might use 8 gauge, if the claimed discharge rates that these manufacturers claim were possible then 10gauge or even 8 gauge wire would melt the wire.

You r so right , Martin, the info I got from friends here at Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids, Ia, who fly with me , and with Mike at ML boatworks.
    they told me , I would have to use 5 or 4 gauge for 70c discharge rate , that's if everything holds up.
    but on the bright side , batteries r getting better, lower resistance,

I don't want to pay for them but would love to try the over rated maxamps in my P-Mono
    just to see how they do
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s