Thread: ? on what to replace my Turnigy 180 ESC

Default ? on what to replace my Turnigy 180 ESC

I have a genesis running the T-180, leopard 4082 1600k and I use nanotech 3s 6000 batteries. I switch between a CNC 42mm 1.8p and a 45mm 1.4p. I keep on tripping the LVC on my T-180. I had to turn it off and time my runs based on which prop I'm running that day. It has now cost me one battery, plus puffed another, because I must drive my boat different every run so my battery run times vary. I'm tired of it! What ESC what you all suggest I replace he T-180 that wont cost me a arm and a leg. Thanks

Maybe you should try 2P parallel packs instead of 1P.

What Type of Nano techs are they and what is the "C" rating for discharge.

Your esc is most likely just fine.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Do you have the ESC set for 'auto lipo'? That will trip the LVC for sure. It is far better when a cell count is chosen.

What is the "c" rating on the batteries your using? A nanoteck 35c will give you 210 amp supply but they should be considered over rated. Some 65c batteries may solve the issue. Are the packs old? If your ruining batteries it would be logical to say your setup is pulling more amps then the batteries can deliver. I would address the battery side of things before blaming the esc. If your boats running wet and if they are 35c cells that could be your answer by just doing the math. The T-180 seem to be able to handle more then they are rated for. This type of setup should be running high c rating batteries especially using low cost batteries.
    A good esc would be the swordfish pro plus 2-6s. It has data logging and will tell the story for you. It's all a guess but I would start with the cells.
    The A spec nano's 65-130c are a good value and are about the cheapest cells you should run on this setup. My genesis will be going together with them.
    Good luck, go for a setup where you dont have to worry about your packs being borderline. Likely no need to change esc but data logging is cool.
    Srislash (or anybody else) jump in if I have any of this wrong!

I have the 25-50C nano techs which both are new. I have to check to see if I have the auto cell off. I posted a thread about this before and many suggested to turn off the LVC and auto cell. That seems to be a common problem I have heard about the T-180. I have to double check that I have both off. My next set off batteries will be a higher C rating but I just bought the nanos and really dont want to buy more. I wouldnt mind trying a different ESC. Im looking at the swordfish pro now. Thanks guys!

You may find this interesting but I have heard the the SK180 (same as T180) will be ditched, that was direct from the return department where my Sk180 that I killed is sitting... Forgive me if I don't respond but I usually hang out in other threads...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

why dont you go for a LVC alarm? i run one and beeps when you get to a chosen voltage

Is it really loud the LVc. I thought about it. I really dont want to untape to check for the alarm going off. Most of them I heard where kinda low.

I picked up cheap ones from eBay that are pretty loud. They are the same ones from SPC lipo (great place for lipos).

You won't here it on the other side if the lake but will do when you pass near or bring it in without taking the hatch off

These cells are low end. I owned some and they melted down completely in a 40" mono. I still have 4- 4500Mah packs I use for accessories etc but, not in the boats. I have some 7 year old Poly RC 5000's that are better than the above 25-50C nano's.

Get some 65C Dinogy or Turnigy Nanotech 65C and you will be better off!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaOutlaw33 View Post
    I have the 25-50C nano techs which both are new. I have to check to see if I have the auto cell off. I posted a thread about this before and many suggested to turn off the LVC and auto cell. That seems to be a common problem I have heard about the T-180. I have to double check that I have both off. My next set off batteries will be a higher C rating but I just bought the nanos and really dont want to buy more. I wouldnt mind trying a different ESC. Im looking at the swordfish pro now. Thanks guys!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    These cells are low end. I owned some and they melted down completely in a 40" mono. I still have 4- 4500Mah packs I use for accessories etc but, not in the boats. I have some 7 year old Poly RC 5000's that are better than the above 25-50C nano's.

Get some 65C Dinogy or Turnigy Nanotech 65C and you will be better off!
    When I bought the nanos the didn't have the 65c and I never had a problem with them until I went to the 4082 leopard. I also ran them in my erevo and never had a issue. I would like to get some batteries with a higher May so I can have longer run times hence the 6000mah. I wish the a specs came in a higher man. I know other companies sell batteries to those specs but I really don't want to spend 300$ for a set.

Does anyone know who sells the swordfish pro 200 or 220a esc. OSE is out of stock and can't find it anywhere else. I think I want the data logging to take the guess work out. Thanks

They will be in stock soon but, maybe Rocket City Racing or Kintec or, Keith Bradley Boats.
    Nortavlag Bulc

The new ESC will not help, you puchased pretty much bottom of the barrel lipos, you switced to a more powerful motor in your boat and your revo clmbing a 60' incline with a 10lb rock chained to it will not pull as many amps as a boat! also running higher mah doesnt just give you longer run times it increases the amount of amps you can draw from the pack, a lot of people don't get this? so if you're running 25C 5000's you can theoretically draw 125 continuous amps, now if you parallel 2 sets you now have 10,000 mah and can draw 250 amps, get it? now you can run harder and longer and you wont be stressing the batteries as much, now look at a set of 50C batts and you can now pull 500 amps from the parallel setup!!! get sum new batteries I use the t180's in lots of hi amp setups with good batteries and have never had 1 single problem with any of them.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

I'm sorry I couldn't have saved you the trouble before you bought cells. They are o.k. for smaller stock motors but, not for a 4082 let alone a 5694 I was running in my mono. They are just fine in RC cars but, rc cars are very easy on lipos compared to boats running a 4082 motor.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwarner View Post
    You won't here it on the other side if the lake but will do when you pass near or bring it in without taking the hatch off
    You know what would be a neat little gizmo... one of these alarms that would work with say Spektrum telemetry. Would be so handy, set it once and swap around boats.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    The new ESC will not help, you puchased pretty much bottom of the barrel lipos, you switced to a more powerful motor in your boat and your revo clmbing a 60' incline with a 10lb rock chained to it will not pull as many amps as a boat! also running higher mah doesnt just give you longer run times it increases the amount of amps you can draw from the pack, a lot of people don't get this? so if you're running 25C 5000's you can theoretically draw 125 continuous amps, now if you parallel 2 sets you now have 10,000 mah and can draw 250 amps, get it? now you can run harder and longer and you wont be stressing the batteries as much, now look at a set of 50C batts and you can now pull 500 amps from the parallel setup!!! get sum new batteries I use the t180's in lots of hi amp setups with good batteries and have never had 1 single problem with any of them.
    I know I need new lipos. I just want the data log features that everyone seems to like. I cant remember my numbers now but when I had my erevo doing 100+ MPH speed runs with very tall gearing with the nanos. I was able to pull some high amps out of them for a short period of time. Which kinda equates to the amount of time when my LVC would kick in when I first put my boat in the water. Does anyone think theres a difference between the gold a spec nanaos to the standard a spec's?

Default ? on what to replace my Turnigy 180 ESC

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You know what would be a neat little gizmo... one of these alarms that would work with say Spektrum telemetry. Would be so handy, set it once and swap around boats.
    I will shoot you a pm later to a guy who does a lot of electric work for my RC stuff... He is smart with the electrics on land vehicles, he also built me a lipo Discharger. Just ask Him if he could work something out with that, there has to be a way. Keep in mind I don't guarantee he will but it's worth a try.

EDIT--- Here is a page he made, his email is toward the bottom:
    http://forums.wondertiger.com/viewto...p=23411#p23411
    Last edited by Spartanator; 05-04-2014 at 11:51 PM.