Thread: Brushless motor cleaning !!!!!

Default Brushless motor cleaning !!!!!

Decided to take apart my used brushless motor I purchased a Leopard 4065 2700KV and found lots of rust ! Will this motor function normally if it is cleaned out , seems to have a bit of pitting also from the rust .

Thanks Albert M
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch seen worse soak in dw40 and flush with the same not perfect but wouldn't test on a pricey esc but is had one I purchasedlike that work just fine

We'll as I was bench testing my rigger and fine tuning the throttle end point adjustments the Esc burned out bad ! Could this rusty brushless motor be at fault for my Esc burning out

You can take WD40 and a toothbrush to the inside then rinse out. Lastly I would add a blast of corrosion block it will soak right in. If the inside is rusty, the boat it was in ran wet or got a good soaking at least once meaning the bearing will need cleaning too and possible replacement.

I check them by sticking the long part of the rotor shaft into the front and rear bearing and spin by hand to listen and feel for roughness and or clicking.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yes, possibly. Was it new before you tried the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert M View Post
    We'll as I was bench testing my rigger and fine tuning the throttle end point adjustments the Esc burned out bad ! Could this rusty brushless motor be at fault for my Esc burning out
    Nortavlag Bulc

Always good to have a 10$ hobbyking esc around to use a a test esc figured this out early in my brushless leanrning curb after burning up a MGM compro esc on q bad motor

Btw looks like a fine design motor as he markets the gold leopards

No it was used also maybe the previous owner dunked the boat a couple of times and never cleaned it after , thanks for the tips guys I will clean it up then shortly after order my new Esc ..

Yes it is Alexgar

I'll donate a cheap hobbyking esc to you so this won't happen again pm you addy to me

Albert I received your pm ant the esc is a cheap heli esc I use one for testing it is.waterproof and water cooled but to be treated as a tester as for.the hydra 120 I have one and its worked ok but would look into a t180 or at minimum a swordfish 120. Castles have been hit or miss on the quality of the.hydras could have been the motor or the esc.in the future use a programming card to tweak your escs.it doesn't create as much heat

Yes that's my plans to test the motor and servo if its works correctly , and I was looking into the T180 just hope its not much bigger than the 120 hydra my space is limited . Any good suggestion on where to purchase the T180 ?

Thanks Albert M

They are for sale a lot of places but they are huge and the wires coming out of the top make them bigger. Might loook into swordfish 200 amp

Thinking about it I may just have enough room in front of the tub right on the carbon fiber boom. Would have to run the water line a bit longer tho .

Try the swordfish 220pro plus 2-6s and has data logging for $130 here on OSE. I picked up two of them though have yet to test. I haven't heard anything bad about them so this is good.

Best $60.00 I've spent in a while, no more burnt up ESCs http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-motorc...FW1nOgodGx8ATA

After cleaning the motor with Pb blast and denature alcohol it cleaned up pretty good bearing feel pretty smooth ! Servo and receiver are in working order only the Esc burned out .....
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could take an Ohm meter and check the resistance across all three leads. 1-2, 1-3, 2-3. They should be even and low resistance. Then check between each lead and the case of the motor to check the insulation. An ohm meter is not as good as a megger but it's better than nothing. It is bothersome that your esc went poof.