Thread: Flex Shaft broke, OSE installed, is this good gap?

Default Flex Shaft broke, OSE installed, is this good gap?

Hey all, new around here and am seeking your invaluable knowledge on flex shafts

Was wondering if this is too much of a gap or if this is OK, I push that brass part back to show it moves both ways that much.

Broke the stock one somehow, it was decently lubed but it looked old when I cleaned it out. Anyways here are the pics and thanks in advance for the help. This thing SCREAMS with this new prop which isnt even S&B'd (Grim 40x52/3 & 2x 2S 5200mah 40c)

Trey

77E1AF47-83CA-4939-AAD4-1665EF685B22_zpsmhftckjp.jpg

12C8EBD4-4333-4166-8061-24EEBD2046D5_zpsnxnsxwy8.jpg

Oh and after like 3 minutes of full throttle run my batteries were cold/room temp my motor was barely warm and my ESC was just warm. Could I use a more aggressive prop? You think its this way because the prop isnt balanced yet? I have a balance machine on its way.

I replaced my Geico one once with a Aquacraft (all the LHS had) and it made it 25ft out. I have read of other incidents. Get an OSE one and don't look back. Gap looks fine to me. BTW, gap should be width of the flex.

Don't run that prop too much if it is not balanced/sharpened! Wears out the bushing quickly. I like the M545 prop.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I replaced my Geico one once with a Aquacraft (all the LHS had) and it made it 25ft out. I have read of other incidents. Get an OSE one and don't look back. Gap looks fine to me. BTW, gap should be width of the flex.
    Yea it snapped right off! Ill post a picture in a little, weird. Lasted about one lap on Lipo's. Ran for like 8 minutes on NIMH before that no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Don't run that prop too much if it is not balanced/sharpened! Wears out the bushing quickly. I like the M545 prop.
    Ah damn, OK Im taking it on my boat trip to Georgia tomorrow think itll be ok running it a few times? It seems well balanced as is, came better than I thought I guess you could say. Here's from Kintec:

GrimRacer 40 X 52/3 Aquacraft# AQUB9720 High performance Copper-Beryllium-Titanium. These props are impressive. Very well made with no flashing and tumbled to a bright finish. If you don't know how to balance a prop these are as close as you can get. Very close in size and pitch as the octura 440/3. Made in USA

I would take a look at your strut angle. Right now it looks like it has about 10 degrees of positive lol

"GrimRacer 40 X 52/3 Aquacraft# AQUB9720 High performance Copper-Beryllium-Titanium. These props are impressive. Very well made with no flashing and tumbled to a bright finish. If you don't know how to balance a prop these are as close as you can get. Very close in size and pitch as the octura 440/3. Made in USA "
    Yes, they are well made and shinny, but they need to be properly thinned, they are very thick and you are not enjoying the benefits of a metal prop even if the prop is balanced. I buy mine professionally done and all my GrimRacer props are thinned.
    Just saying, not trying to be negative, happy boating!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrancisco892 View Post
    I would take a look at your strut angle. Right now it looks like it has about 10 degrees of positive lol
    I will do that, ran it and it seemed perfect no chine walk or anything ran faster than with stock prop. Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    "GrimRacer 40 X 52/3 Aquacraft# AQUB9720 High performance Copper-Beryllium-Titanium. These props are impressive. Very well made with no flashing and tumbled to a bright finish. If you don't know how to balance a prop these are as close as you can get. Very close in size and pitch as the octura 440/3. Made in USA "
    Yes, they are well made and shinny, but they need to be properly thinned, they are very thick and you are not enjoying the benefits of a metal prop even if the prop is balanced. I buy mine professionally done and all my GrimRacer props are thinned.
    Just saying, not trying to be negative, happy boating!
    No offense taken I understand