Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The HV Fantasm performance vids

Explain sand the flexes?
    If you are meaning sand them so they are smooth in the stuffing tube I would think just running against the brass tubing would take care of that. In Teflon however it may be beneficial.
    And I keep meaning to go back to Teflon but keep forgetting on my builds(maybe on my HPR). So no to the Teflon.

By sanding flex I mean smoothing the cable surface by slightly reducing the overall diameter of the flex by like around 0.10" inch and then polishing...

I really don't know if it contributed to speed gains but it runs quieter and smoother so I would assume it helps with the friction.

Ok yeah I am sure it would help as long as you leave an inch at the collet end alone. I wouldn't take anything off there. If you put a three blade on that's when the slip starts and if it is extra small it certainly would not help matters

I sand and polish my flexes except the end that goes in the collet. I sand that part with 30 grit paper. It's very important to make sure no lube makes its way into the collet. If you do and you've got a high power setup, you'll be sorry. (Most people don't realize why a flex slips and most of the time it's due to lube getting in the collet from the flex sliding though a tube with leftover lube)
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I usually (silver) solder as much of the part of cable that goes into the collet... seems to tighten better.

kfxguy: How much of the cable do you take off in terms of total diameter? Just till its completely flat? (I'm using the OSE shaft flex so the wire that spirals it is more rigid/thicker than usual)

I don't take off any certain amount. I just smooth it and polish it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Darn... I probably shouldn't have flattened the cable so much then lol. Probably creates more resistance since more of the cable would be touching the teflon...

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Darn... I probably shouldn't have flattened the cable so much then lol. Probably creates more resistance since more of the cable would be touching the teflon...
    I doubt it would make any real difference Dmitry.

In terms of running without teflon though-- do you think it would be a bad idea to run it without it in 9/32 brass ?

The teflon always seems to be spinning... I'm assuming thats not a good thing. Tried wrapping the teflon tube in teflon wrap (the one you use for pipes) and it seemed to help a bit but still seems to move especially after the latest prop up (1815's).

I use 1/4" tube for my 3/16" shafts. Have never tried to run without Teflon in 9/32" tube. I did have your problem though and that is why I don't use it now. I recall having it cram down in against the drive bushing and bunging things up.

I bet the flex would do some funky things inside a 9/32 tube. Not certain but I imagine it would.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I bet the flex would do some funky things inside a 9/32 tube. Not certain but I imagine it would.
    And it doesn't take too much to form a 'twist'! If there is much of a straight in the tube it may be an issue. I think as long as the Teflon isn't bunging the cable up run it. Maybe pinch the brass slightly to hold the Teflon .

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Awesome! You need a longer area to run in!
    Like this Travis:

116mph. And never mind why it took flight at the end (pm for detail )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123