Thread: STS-250 Shaft Tube Seal .250

Default STS-250 Shaft Tube Seal .250

http://aeromarinerc.myshopify.com/pr...l-250-1-4-size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Here's the breakdown :

A bearing is used so the other side of the piece with the o-ring rotates with the flex (preventing o-ring wear):
    DSC05591.JPG

The o-ring side :
    DSC05592-1.JPG

exploded view :
    DSC05590.JPG

In place :
    DSC05589.JPG

Also has a lube port, and the retainer ring set-screws to the flex to hold all three pieces together and as a byproduct it retains the flex if it comes loose from the collet

Rather clever !!
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Where is my buddy Jimmy when I need'm... (inside joke)

That system is very dependent that you don't have a collet with horrible run-out (or misalignment for that matter)! Otherwise it's going to translate all of the misalignment into the stuffing tube, shaking the dog poo out of the stuffing tube/rest of the hull.

Later
    Ball

Don't get me started on runout lol.

I like it...there is a .187 version also
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    http://kintecracing.com/

I was thinking about trying one but I wasn't sure if it was extra drag. If not I'll put on on all my boats. Anyone know if it's more drag?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    http://kintecracing.com/

I was thinking about trying one but I wasn't sure if it was extra drag. If not I'll put on on all my boats. Anyone know if it's more drag?
    Since the o-ring does not stand still with the flex rotating inside of it (see post #2)- it rotates with the flex, the only "drag" is that of the ball bearing. The only downside I can potentially see is that the retaining ring setscrews to the flex and has to be loosened to pull/lube the flex each time.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

DSC05775.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Since the o-ring does not stand still with the flex rotating inside of it (see post #2)- it rotates with the flex, the only "drag" is that of the ball bearing. The only downside I can potentially see is that the retaining ring setscrews to the flex and has to be loosened to pull/lube the flex each time.
    Isn't that the point of the grease fitting though? I've never had a boat with a grease fitting so excuse my ignorance...

hey tony have you tried this thing yet? what ya think?

hey tony have you tried this thing yet? what ya think?
    Not yet - none of my boats get water up the shaft. I have a build coming up soon where I'll use it 'tho

I got a mess of these in and they sold out very quickly. I'm waiting for more. My experience with them says;
    1. I found its much better with a 50/50 mixture of ATF and a heavy oil like STP between runs. I don't like putting actual lithium grease through it. (Or any other oiler I've ever used)
    2. I found they work best with a clamp on collet as opposed to a floating square drive like I use in my nitro 1/8 scale. If you use on a square drive the cable clamp moves slightly as the cable floats. I don't like that.

Remy put a lot of thought into these and I think he found a winner.

Bill Brandt

If it would work with grease I'd jump on it. Perhaps you could squeeze it in while you rev the prop a bit to let the shaft work it down into the tube. I put a stuffing tube bracket with an oiler/reservior setup in my Sniper, and I don't use it now. I found that on the first run the oil/ATF would break down any grease in there and the flex would come out clean and somewhat dry, while I could do 2-3 runs with grease alone and still have a good layer in there when I was done.

I just installed two of the .187 size ones on my fantasm and I like them pretty well other than when you go to put oil in the nipple some of it always pushes it's way through the actual bearing itself and comes out inside of the boat. I only have run these on the bench so far but my drive line seems nice and smooth and the resistance was very minimal. I will report more on these after I actually run them in the lake this weekend. I also didnt mention that you need to debur the insides of these before installation as there was some loose aluminum in both of mine that was left from machining.

Okay, I've had enough runs with the stuffing tube seals now to say that im anfan of them and will install them on most if not all of my future builds. Ive spun them at over 35k rpms and had no problems or water intrusion from the stuffing tube. I just wish someone would get the .187ones in stock again so that I can order more

I'm gonna try it out now.....thx
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Yeah, there's some trouble getting that bearing back in stock. They're all on back order.

Bill

order bearing that have seal on one side , no more oil in the boat and easier to get.

anyone try ordering one from aeromarine I beleave there web site shows they have them in stock

My friend ordered his direct and had no problems

Any updates on running these since 2014?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

I stopped using them

The bearings in mine exploded. Aero said they'll send out a new one but haven't received it yet. They seem to be good for oiling your driveline though even if your not using it with the flex saver and other parts etc, I think.
    It actually ended up locking up my driveline... so if I didn't notice the busted bearing in time it would have easily caused an entire meltdown in that side.
    I think it's good for some setups where water runout is a huge issue and/or lower rpm stuff, otherwise... im sure its just an extra thing to break and cause havoc.
    I'm not the only one with these bearing issues-- I have talked to at least 1 other person that had the same thing happen and it was in the similar kind of a high RPM catamaran setup as mine.
    The fact that these replacement bearings are no where else to be found is something to consider.