Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charge Rate

Default Charge Rate

I always charge my batteries at 1c but I know a lot of people charge faster than that. Post up what the max charge rate you guys charge at, just curious.

Your battery/manufacturer should dictate what charge rate the battery is capable of taking.

Later,
    Mike

2c is just fine IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SloHD View Post
    2c is just fine IMO.
    Again, your battery manufacturer will tell you what is acceptable for the battery. I can tell you that GrimRacer Lipos are only rated at a 1C charge rate. So in that particular case 2C is not "fine".

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/acces...ipo-packs.html

Later,
    Mike

Nobody said I had grim racer batteries... You might, but not everyone has the same brand. I am well aware manufacture suggestions. I would imagine the op has lipos capable of higher than 1c charge rates, hence the reason he is asking.

And if he does have Grim Racer batteries, you just told him he could charge them at a rate higher than rated. Be careful what you recommend, and just as careful the advice you take.

Mike's advice is spot on...IMO
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by SloHD View Post
    Nobody said I had grim racer batteries... You might, but not everyone has the same brand. I am well aware manufacture suggestions. I would imagine the op has lipos capable of higher than 1c charge rates, hence the reason he is asking.
    This is NOT a toy?!?

No I did not tell him that. You should actually read the OP. It asks a broad question. I gave a broad answer. Why all the hostility towards my post? Geez... My advice is valid, answering such a broad question. I'm sorry I didn't sugar coat it for him like an expert would do.
    Last edited by SloHD; 04-18-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Sp

My batteries are capable of being charged up to 5c. That is what the label says at least. I was just asking the question to see what people charge at. I'm sure it's harder on the cells the faster you charge them, I will probably continue to charge at 1c just curious what everyone else does.

Depends on the batteries for me. Most of my 5000 and larger packs get charged at 1C. Smaller receiver packs and 2200-3300 mah airplane packs charge at 2c. I usually don't have a need to go over 2C. The big factor for me isn't the batteries since all my packs can be charged at 3-5C. It's about not pushing the charger to maximum wattage output. Just like on my boats, I try not to push the electrics too hard which keeps things running cool.... and so far has given me five years of trouble free service.

I charge my hi discharge packs at 1.5C MAX. Just keep in mind that regardless the brand and discharge rating, the harder you charge them (as in higher C rate) the more life you take out of them in the long run.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

I charge at 2C, but my charger maxes out at 7A so anything above 3500mAh gets just that.

hi guys , this post is what do an it works well for me ,
    1- I charge lipos at 1c , even if the label says 5c charge rate, why, because the manufacture would like you to be hard on your batts, shorten the life
    so you buy more ,
    2- I only fully charge my batts the night before, or the day of running my boat or planes, why, because its hard on lipos to sit around with a full charge in them.
    3- when I'm not going to use my batts , for some time , I will charge them up , in storage mode,
    these are my ways I treat my batts, an I've had real good long life on my batteries

Thanks for the input. Same as I do.

Why would it be hard on them to leave a charge in them?

Quote Originally Posted by darryl whitman View Post
    1- I charge lipos at 1c , even if the label says 5c charge rate, why, because the manufacture would like you to be hard on your batts, shorten the life
    so you buy more ,
    2- I only fully charge my batts the night before, or the day of running my boat or planes, why, because its hard on lipos to sit around with a full charge in them.
    3- when I'm not going to use my batts , for some time , I will charge them up , in storage mode,
    these are my ways I treat my batts, an I've had real good long life on my batteries
    uhhh?
    no documented proof of shortened life by charging at 5c when a pack says you can charge at 5c

reminds me of a bogus chart someone put up at rcgroups about this
    heck even some ThunderPower lipos have a charge rate of 12C !
    many users want a fast charging lipo when they go fly or run boats
    big debate at rcgroups on just that, fast charging is the way to go some say... and they live by that, and I know of a few who charge at 5C and greater all the time without any loss of power or performance

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Why would it be hard on them to leave a charge in them?
    it's ok to leave packs fully charge for about 2-3 weeks, any longer and they should be stored half charged
    something with the chemistry they don't like be left fully charged for a long time, they will loose capacity and power over time
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

really, I'm glad u feel that way, U must be a battery salesmen ?

12C charge rate listed right here bro
    http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Produc.../TP5000-4SPF70
    60A charge rate on a single 5000mah 4s pack
    not feelings but specs
    I have yet to buy a charger that can actually do this yet
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    it's ok to leave packs fully charge for about 2-3 weeks
    Todd please show us where a battery manufacturer says this^^^.

This from Hyperion.
    Lithium Care
    To maximize your investment in Lithium Battery packs, do the following:
    * ALWAYS Store your packs at 60% of capacity. After a day of flying, use STORE Mode to achieve this. It is especially harmful to store lithium packs fully charged, and should be avoided for more that a day or two at most.
    * AVOID discharging cells beyond 90% of capacity (80% is even better). NEVER fully discharge lithium packs.
    * STORE your packs in a cool, relatively dry location.
    This from Thunder Power
    2. If storing longer than one week; batteries must be stored at 3.8V/cell to 3.9V/cell (approximately 50% charged). This is easily accomplished using Thunder Power charger on storage or 50% mode.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 05-01-2014 at 10:44 PM.

like I said, people will believe anything a manufacture will print just to sale goods.
    you mite want to check out what the USAF says about lipos they uses for the drones,

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Todd please show us where a battery manufacturer says this^^^.

Doug this came from LNE who makes Giant Power and Dinogy packs
    I have an email from them and not from someones site, saying 2-3 weeks max for a fully charged pack, after that they need to be placed in storage charge
    not my words but there's
    but....
    all my packs are put in storage charge right after race day for best life of the packs
    my flight packs are not stored fully charged for more than 48hrs at home...
    Last edited by Brushless55; 05-02-2014 at 01:21 AM.

so you buy more ,
    uhhh?
    no documented proof of shortened life by charging at 5c when a pack says you can charge at 5c

reminds me of a bogus chart someone put up at rcgroups about this
    heck even some ThunderPower lipos have a charge rate of 12C !
    many users want a fast charging lipo when they go fly or run boats
    big debate at rcgroups on just that, fast charging is the way to go some say... and they live by that, and I know of a few who charge at 5C and greater all the time without any loss of power or performance
    like I said, people will believe anything a manufacture will print just to sale goods.
    you mite want to check out what the USAF says about lipos they uses for the drones,
    again no proof manufactures are telling customers to charge their lipos at higher C ratings in hopes their customers will kill their packs in order to sell more???
    sounds like that would be a fire waiting to happen in so many homes around the world?

Doug this came from LNE who makes Giant Power and Dinogy packs
    I have an email from them and not from someones site, saying 2-3 weeks max for a fully charged pack, after that they need to be placed in storage charge
    not my words but there's
    Ah but these are your words.
    it's ok to leave packs fully charge for about 2-3 weeks,
    You have to be careful while painting with such a broad brush, as noted above.

Thank you sir,
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 05-02-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Ah but these are your words.

You have to be careful while painting with such a broad brush, as noted above.

Thank you sir,
    uh broad brush..... 2-3 weeks or was that 2-3 weeks

Doug I want to personally invite you to the High Altitude Shootout that my friend and I are putting on
    you can run one of my freshly charge erh uh make that my 3 week charged lipo and see how she does
    https://www.facebook.com/MileHighMod...17226264982870
    This is our club
    https://www.facebook.com/MileHighModelers

and our facebook page we over see
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/690269474349798/

We belong to Namba20 and really want to take D20 higher and bring the family fun factor for all ages!

Man I'm scared. Scared to charge over 1c. I'd rather wait than be sorry. That's how I roll. It's not worth it to me in my opinion. All my Batts balance perfectly.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

but....
    all my packs are put in storage charge right after race day for best life of the packs
    my flight packs are not stored fully charged for more than 48hrs at home...

Doug I want to personally invite you to the High Altitude Shootout that my friend and I are putting on
    you can run one of my freshly charge erh uh make that my 3 week charged lipo and see how she does
    Which is it Todd???

Never mind, we have a clear understanding now. lol

Thanks for clearing that up.

Driving on now.

I always put my packs in storage mode immediately after use. Just funny about it I guess.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

uh broad brush..... 2-3 weeks or was that 2-3 weeks

https://www.facebook.com/MileHighMod...17226264982870
    This is our club
    https://www.facebook.com/MileHighModelers

and our facebook page we over see
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/690269474349798/

We belong to Namba20 and really want to take D20 higher and bring the family fun factor for all ages!
    Which is it Todd???

Never mind, we have a clear understanding now. lol

Thanks for clearing that up.

Driving on now.
    let me try this again....
    I will charge up a few packs 3 weeks before the High Altitude Shootout and leave them charge up just for you to try out and see they don't melt down during a 6 lap heat

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Man I'm scared. Scared to charge over 1c. I'd rather wait than be sorry. That's how I roll. It's not worth it to me in my opinion. All my Batts balance perfectly.
    never a bad thing to charge at 1C

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I always put my packs in storage mode immediately after use. Just funny about it I guess.
    usually Sunday after I get home from a race I start putting my packs into storage charge...
    but some sit for several days depending on how busy I get around the house and at work

Do some reading on capacity loss fellas.
    I'm going to go practice peeing up a rope.

Later...........

I don't mean to bud in here but I always get confuzed on this 1c thing, I use turnigy 5000 2s1p mah and charge tham at 4-5 amps, is takes about an hour.
    can someone go over 1c = what ect...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast