Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good RC boat radio???

Default What is a good RC boat radio???

Hello OSE Mariners.... I just have a simple question... In your opinon what would be the best boat radio to use for Fast electric or gas boats. Don't know if gas or electric makes a difference(but I have FE boats).

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Here we go again. I would suggest a high end radio like airtronics or futaba, or spektrum. Don't control your $800 boat with a $40 radio. It's just not worth it.

Futaba 3PM 2.4 MX is a great affordable radio ...more than enough for most Fe/nitro/gas boats Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

i have been using the cheap turnigy gtx3 radio in all my rc surface stuff and it has never once given me a problem. its simple and easy to use and rx are cheap. the failsafe has never not worked, i test them every time i go out with it. but everyone has their own preference on what they like.

Futaba 3 pm-x, amazing radio for the money. They can be had for $180 bucks on ebay. I haven't had any signal interference in areas where all of my other radios have failed.

Cool

You can waste your money on expensive radios like Futaba or Airtronics, but if you want true value then the $25 Chinese radios are just fine. I know this because I read it in the Internet and they can't put anything on the Internet if it isn't true!

J/k. Most of the guys in my club run Spektrums, DX2s, DX3s and DX4s. IME get a mid-level model from Airtronics, Futaba or Spektrum in no particular order. The top models are great and I have owned several, but for beginners they have more features than required.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Spektrum has my voted

Futaba here! I originally had a 4PL now I'm running a 4PLS, it can be had for $209.00 to $249.00 depending on where you get it. Loads of features, 40 model memory, telemetry, Etc. And it's 4 channel in case you decide to get fancy with power trim tabs or something like that. Also the range is excellent even with a CF hull.
    Last edited by flraptor07; 04-14-2014 at 08:56 PM.

ive been running a futaba 4pl on my boats and trucks for a few years with no problems
    miss geico 29,revolt 30,villain ex,summit,scte,8ight

IMO Futaba, i have a 4-Pl and I've got around 800-900 mtrs of range in my carbon fantasm

I have used Top end stuff like KO & Spektrum and cheaper stuff like Flysky.

In all honesty the cheaper radio's have never let me down can't say the same for the high $$$$ radio's. I like a computer radio regardless as they have so many good features like EPA & Travel adj as well as model memory.

The next big question is this going to a wheel or stick radio?? I'm in the process of changing over to sticks for racing as I feel they suit boats better and been meaning too for a while but a half good stick set up is rare.

I have just purchased this and doing some testing with my sporting boats before I throw it in a race set up. Has way too many features for me which I like. So far all good.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-...products/38217

Quote Originally Posted by straitline View Post
    Hello OSE Mariners.... I just have a simple question... In your opinon what would be the best boat radio to use for Fast electric or gas boats. Don't know if gas or electric makes a difference(but I have FE boats).

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
    Depends on your budget. I am eyeing this: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rs4210-SPM4210 I will snatch it the moment it is available!
    I use MR200 and MR3000 on a number of boats but my transmitter is an entry level one ( DX3E). I think this will be a good one and it is backward compatible with the marine specific receivers. The price seems really reasonable as well.
    Tactics are my second choice for sport running, I have encountered numerous signal lost with my boat at the same spot on the lake. ( once or twice with Spektrum as well).
    The FlySky never had trouble at that spot but ... ( If I repeat this story one more time, for sure I will be put on the Ignore List by some people)

Cool

Holy chit' stimpy, here we go again .....
    this has been kicked around & around & around & around & around .....

Alot of people have good luck with the tactic ttx-240 & the flysky fs-gt3c or fs-gt3 from Hobbypartz.com , http://www.hobbypartz.com/rccarradios.html

It seems like there is not a 100% guaranteed boat radio out there, cause everyone has had a problem with every radio at 1 point in time or another. Each location is different I guess. The top 5 radios you'll see here are probably spekky, futaba, airtronics, tactic & flysky.

If you want to try flysky, go with the fs-gt3 (dsss) or the green fs-gt3c. The orange model has a power button issue solved on the green model. I don't reccomend the gt3b even though a lot of people like it. It has a faulty firmware so the epa & trims don't work.

www.overkillrc.com sells the b model with flashed firmware if you want to look.....

At the moment I am running the airtronics m11 w/ a spekky module, and the tower hobbies 2.4, but I have used a lil' of everything .
    For a Ben Franklin, I think I would jump on the Airtronics MX-V. Its gotta be one of the best bang for the buck radios on the market, for these features, quality, performance & price .....

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...proof-Receiver
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 04-15-2014 at 02:30 AM.

Here's a smokin' deal on the Airtronics MXV. $85 + free shipping if your Interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtronics-M...item19eb8fa0ff

They all work pretty well now. Just go to the local hobby shop and try out the radios they have and choose the one you like the feel and price of.
    Don't bother with things like telemetry for a boat, I have it on my radio, you can't look away from your boat long enough to see the screen on the radio.
    A basic 2 or 3 channel radio with servo reversing is all you really need. I have 13 boats and have never needed any of the fancy programming my radio is capable of.
    I'd strongly suggest buying a radio you can touch and feel from a hobby shop, only way you can really know how the radio will feel in your hand and you can make sure the switches and knobs are in places that work for you.
    The bargain radios work great - but for me the ergonomics are horrible. I have pretty big hands. Need things spaced apart a bit.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

hehe Jay, are you saying that not everything I read on the net is true? Wwhhhat?

I have about $2k in my scale. $40 radio makes sense. Gotta save dough somewhere.

Someday I want to find a radio so cheap that they pay me to take it.
    Noisy person

Telemetry is a nice option. I use the temp sensors to monitor esc and motor temp. You can keep track of things when setting up without pulling the boat in, removing tape, hatch bolts etc. Awesome for that and sport running. Not really practical on the race course I would guess. I won't mention the brand. Just that telemetry is a great thing.

Well, I will mention my brand...

I run the Fly Sky FS-iT4 and telemetry has saved my butt a couple different times now. A sub-$12 receiver and a $9 temp sensor for each of two motors helped me realize I had a major issue, as I used half my battery capacity and one of the motors was >204 degrees with only intermittent high speed operation.

I had a similar issue in my RC10T4.1 where a temp sensor on my motor showed a serious problem before it became an expensive failure, too. It is entirely likely the FS-iT4 has saved me more money in replacing components that would have failed w/o its telemetry, by giving me a heads up soon enough, than it actually cost me to purchase.

This radio shows you the signal strength the receiver is getting from the transmitter on the OSD for the transmitter, the voltage the receiver is receiving from the receiver battery or ESC, plus the receivers and telemetry modules are available at great prices... $4.50 for a voltage telemetry module... that's nice.

As a $130 option, I believe you should look into it... If you decide not to get it, well sure it's obviously up to you... but don't fail to check it out, IMO.

Now, after having said all that, the first one I ordered arrived DOA. Still, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, at this point. The second one works great.
    Traxxas Villain IV kit (ca: '92) water-cooled 13-turn dbls, Graupner K-series 45mm props
    Castle Sidewinder ESC & 2s 70c Lipo
    Associated RC10T4.1 Factory Team: NeuCastle 1410, Castle Sidewinder ESC, 2s 70c Lipo

One thing I should have mentioned is that I use an EagleTree data logger, gave up with the radio telemetry as soon as I got this. Does way more than telemetry and can be set up for flight logging for my planes.
    I just can't get the info off the radio screen while boating, by the time I look down and focus on what I'm trying to find the boat has gone more than the length of the straight and I'm past the turn. Plus it becomes a real hazard if you are running with a number of other boats on course. I'm getting old, can't handle too many distractions at once anymore!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Relating to the Telemetry... Spektrum systems can be outfitted with telemetry such that it will be able to be read from an iDevice (iPad, iPod, etc.) from the shoreline real-time.

Obviously, you'd have to have a partner there looking at the display.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/Telemetry.aspx

I like the EagleTree option, but I only use if for the GPS and some of the "non-intrusive" features. If I want to see volts and amps, I run a Castle ICE controller.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Telemetry isn't for the race course, that's not the point of it. when setting up a boat it can save a lot of time and bother having to pull the boat out of the water dozens of times and removing the hatch. Great for sport boating all around.

I agree with most of the opinions given already. Buy a mid range radio from one of the major manufacturers, buy a high end radio if you'll have a use for the features it can provide. Buying a $40-$100 radio to control a $1000 boat makes no sense to me personally. It's like buying a $1,00000 sports car and putting $99 dollar no name tires on it to save some cash. If you want to save some money figure out somewhere else to save it, but don't cheap out on your only life line between you and your hobby investment.
    Just my two cents.

The spektrum telemetry sensors aren't to badly priced though the telemetry module would hurt the pocket book for multiple boats. You would think the phone interface would be available for Android. Makes a small market for it even smaller. Neat idea though

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    You would think the phone interface would be available for Android. Makes a small market for it even smaller. Neat idea though
    Yeah, that's just bad marketing.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Yeah, that's just bad marketing.
    I, and Andy, both agree as well... Licensing deal, not in their (Spektrum's) control...

Just for reference, all of the Spektrum surface radios, from the DX2E to the new DX4R-Pro (SUPER SWEET, by the way!) have about the same range performance with the MR-series receivers. If you want to take advantage of the newest DSMX and AVC, etc., you'll need the newest offerings (DX4S and DX4R-Pro). I haven't looked to see if the DX3R-Pro can be updated as well (I suspect not... would need the 4 channels format I believe).

Bottom line is that you can get a quality, name-brand radio system for a pretty reasonable price.

I've been using futaba radios and servos for 20 of my 28 years racing RC and have had 1 glitch once!!!!! 8 years with airtronics radios and servos have cost me many races and a carpet oval National Championship, and equipment!!! I've used some of the cheaper stuff in cars without a problem but you couldn't pay me to put one in my race boats or cars.
    We call ourselves the "Q"

+1

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    I've been using futaba radios and servos for 20 of my 28 years racing RC and have had 1 glitch once!!!!!
    I don't know man. I've retrieved your T hydro from a far off location twice. On one of those occasion it wasn't even close to being in the water. Had to climb over a tree to get it. Clearly a lose wheel nut. haha Futaba is still the gold standard in the eyes of most I think. They're priced accordingly though.

Dang it Darin! I've only got a half season on my DX3r Pro. Not there's a new one! Tell Andy to stop making new ones please. The one I replaced I just gave away. Still works fine. Has Horizon/Spektrum learned nothing about RC enthusiasts? We don't like to be told we must buy x,y,z in order to do anything. The variety of radios in this thread alone is proof of that.

There are both success and failure stories with most of the brands available. So we each run what we like. A clear consensus on what's the bestest/smartest/mostest/ cost effective......ist..... approach will not ever happen. Look for features you like. Get the best reputation you can afford.

Stuff I need in no particular order:
    good signal
    multi-model memory
    endpoint adjust
    comfortable in the hand

I've never messed with telemetry. I have used a third channel before for on the fly trim but that's kind of a distraction.
    Noisy person

It's hugely expensive getting setup in this hobby and saying you wouldn't run a $100 radio is a boat you race is good advice. Unfortunately when starting out this applies to so much more than a radio. Batteries and esc's are a vital area and probably as important if not more so. Running a cheap motor can take out your esc. Having a fast boat requires a good hull (or appropriately reinforced). Getting a few boats outfitted with everything including a good charger takes planning and often enough compromise. The longer I am in the hobby the better quality everything will be across the board.
    Batteries alone will run over $1000 if I use budjet aspec nano's, closer to $2500 plus if I run hyperion or other high end stuff. It's hard to figure out where to save any money period. Mistakes are very costly period. I would feel better running a tactic radio then a cheap esc or bargain basement batteries. It's a minefield out there trying to make choices getting established. The more established I become the easier it is to pick areas to upgrade on. Eventually I will have the best of everything but until then compromises will have to be made. That's kinda the big picture around why I don't have my $600 radio to run this year and I can imagine others are going through the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    That's kinda the big picture around why I don't have my $600 radio to run this year and I can imagine others are going through the same thing.
    People are throwing around some crazy numbers here. Even the top of the line surface radio from Spektrum isn't $600.00....

You can get a QUALITY radio, with good model memory, and ALL of the features you could ever use in a boat, which is WAY fewer than a full-function Car would require, for $100.00....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-radio-SPM3300

20-model memory and every feature you'd ever need...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast