Thread: Is this too much battery?

Default Is this too much battery?

So I've been fighting on how to break my 5800mAh 6S 30C lipos. Well I couldn't and finally admit defeat. The 5.8 is physically too big to fit in my Daytona hull, but I was able to "unfold" the pack. Would two of these be an overkill?

I was thinking or running two packs in parallel for a 6s 11600mAh setup. I want to use a single 4082 1600kv motor.

Here is a picture of one pack.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397386667.268292.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397386689.618687.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397386722.970991.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a 3660 by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would it be overkill? Just give you a long runtime.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Just a lot of battery weight in my opinion. gonna scrub some speed and add stress to the hull if you run it in any chop. I like to keep em as light as possible.

why not split them like you did and make 2 3s packs out of each one???

because his motor will consume 6s1p in about 2 minutes
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

it will use 5800ma in 2 minutes??? idk about that. i use 5000mah on a t600 1400kv outrunner and get 5 min easily

well I'm exaggerating obviously, but still, run times will be drastically lower. i think people overestimate runtimes….
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I think it will be fine. A lot of guys out there run their daytonas with twins and they run great (weight of your packs will be fine). Just keep an eye on temps, its spring and things are warming up quick a setup now might stay cool but in 2 months may not.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fst98 View Post
    why not split them like you did and make 2 3s packs out of each one???
    ...would kind of defeat the whole purpose of this thread. I didn't split it because I can't. I simply "unfolded" the 6s.

Thanks guys. I was just curious to know if it would have been too heavy. I would prefer it to be light weight, but I have work with what I got.

It does not defeat the purpose, you said you were trying to break up your 6s packs to be usable in your Daytona, others expressed concern over weight of two 6s packs so I suggested a very doable option of essentially making your own 3s packs out if the 6s pack. I'm sorry if you did not understand.

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

Diagram shows how to connect balance plug if you decide to do so

No I meant that I just can't split the packs. I even tried to with a 140W gun. I only managed to bend and break tips. I would probably have to use a torch. I would rather not grind the solder down or cut the tabs in the middle. I think we just had a slight mutual misunderstanding of what each other was saying.

ahhhh gotcha! haha my bad bud. we both got confused...a 140w didnt do it? hmmm. def do not want to have it near open flame. thatd be a bad idea. worst case scenario, once the boat is ready just try it out with both packs n see how heavy it is in the water and how it performs. you could do things to help stop flex if thats a concern (bulkheads, inlay) but i know im running twins in mine with 5800 5s packs

I would really like to do the CF inlay. I just order a 36" x 50" from Solar Composites for $30. I already have West Systems 105. I guess I'll soon be starting a new build thread for this Daytona.