Thread: Mini Rio rescue boat

Default Mini Rio rescue boat

Hey folks just wondering what your thoughts are regarding a rescue/retrieval boat for my Blackjack 29. Does this little hotrod have enough power to haul my BJ29 in with a line and tennis ball hook combo? It would be a bone stock Mini Rio with a 2000 mah Lipo 2S.(LVD alarm)
    Also considered the Rio with float and arms style setup for collecting BJ29.
    Thanks!
    Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO the Mini Rio is not a good candidate for the task mentioned above. It is too small and the little motor with the ESC/radio combo unit makes it hard to avoid issues with heat build-up and signal loss at a range that might exceed the system's capability.
    At $20 more, you will be better served with the RIO EP, the dual rudder turns the boat on a dime even at slow speed. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the ESC is non-water cooled, if you push too hard, it will fry. Also this boat is a ton of fun, so in no time you will want to make her run faster, as I did with a BL conversion, so now I am rescue-boat-less.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSzhyfHF3w

How about you make one of these ? 0045.jpg
    There is a video of it doing it thing some where on hear.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Allyou have to do is run a line out to the dead boat and circle it once, then reel in the line, dead boat, and retrieve boat. The retrive boat doesnt have to push or pull. I just use a small zig zag forthat job

Great input guys thanks very much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    IMO the Mini Rio is not a good candidate for the task mentioned above. It is too small and the little motor with the ESC/radio combo unit makes it hard to avoid issues with heat build-up and signal loss at a range that might exceed the system's capability.
    At $20 more, you will be better served with the RIO EP, the dual rudder turns the boat on a dime even at slow speed. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the ESC is non-water cooled, if you push too hard, it will fry. Also this boat is a ton of fun, so in no time you will want to make her run faster, as I did with a BL conversion, so now I am rescue-boat-less.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSzhyfHF3w

I use a Walmart boat for my small electric boats.

Inline rudder turns best for singly prop retrieving
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein