Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Spartan build thread

Default My Spartan build thread

Well I've picked back up on getting my boat back in the water. I got the bought back when I joined I believe it's the gen 2 with all the castle components. It's setup on 2 gens ace 3s1p 5500mah 25 c batteries in parallel of course. Motor has the cooling jacket and dual pick up rudder along with adjustable trim tabs. When I first got it it cooked the motor then I got a new one back warranties. Then it was the stupid cable... I was out n about n thought I fried my esc. Smoke was comin out the hatch n I was like great. Opened it up n huge cloud came out... So then I began trying to get ahold of Jeff, n kintec, and also the guy that makes the wraps for the boats as well... There was Alot of info to absorb which led to confusion n I didn't have time to absorb so I let it sit till now...

So now it's Showtime. Decided to go with Jeff's .187 cable got the drive dog n collet n bullet nut. Ordered from OSE the upgraded strut with Teflon bushings. Ordered the 5in rudder from kintec n the cnc sharpened n balanced x442. Have all that to install plus splash guard n mock pipes. Just waiting on the wrap guy now... I believe that's all ordered from all three folks that lost track of all I ordered...lol... Either way time to get er back in the water...

Been reading up Alot so Alot of this came from here n recommend actions from Jeff.

New thing I just found was @dag-nabits sealing of the tube. Gonna have to look into that.

Thanks Lmk what u think n all suggestions are welcome please.

Just a note, the difference in Spartan hull versions: Version 1- The bow slopes down, creating an aerodynamic look. Version 2, has a straight bow. I believe the user picture you have is a version 1 hull but not a 100% sure.... Get a higher C rating of lipos (40C minimum), have more than one prop, quad trim tabs with adjusters. I just notice that you say it runs on 3s1p, I hope that is a typing error or that battery won't last long at all! Try to run on 5s lipo for a more reliable boat, Traxxas sorrta had a fluke on the Spartan.... You should get an OSE hook I installed one on the tip of the bow on my new hull, planning to get two more for each side.... I got the small size.
    I feel ya' with gettin' the boat wet again!
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Just a note, the difference in Spartan hull versions: Version 1- The bow slopes down, creating an aerodynamic look. Version 2, has a straight bow. I believe the user picture you have is a version 1 hull but not a 100% sure.... Get a higher C rating of lipos (40C minimum), have more than one prop, quad trim tabs with adjusters. I just notice that you say it runs on 3s1p, I hope that is a typing error or that battery won't last long at all! Try to run on 5s lipo for a more reliable boat, Traxxas sorrta had a fluke on the Spartan.... You should get an OSE hook I installed one on the tip of the bow on my new hull, planning to get two more for each side.... I got the small size.
    I feel ya' with gettin' the boat wet again!
    The batteries yeah... It runs on 2 of the batteries I mentioned... Can the castle system handle 5s? Also what is a hook?

Need some help with this... I've been searching around trying to find something on the install of the 5in rudder... I've seen it installed this way: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...932#post279932 and installed the way it comes out of the package.. Does it matter which way it it is mounted onto the transom? Seems like the way it is mounted above the swivel piece would have to be punched out n flipped around??

Also the plastic screw goes on the bottom of the 2 screws that hold the rudder on right??

Thanks... Let's get this done..

Found this as well don't like the way the steering servo arm is bent over instead of being straight..https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...d=1334451251.I think the one I. The first link would be best.

Also this: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...711#post410711

I still like the first one it keeps it inline n centered.

Also, why is the rudder off center n not in front of the prop?

I think I'm going to mount it with the servo arm going through the middle of it.. basically where the hole on the 5in rudder transom mount is.
    Last edited by Spartan; 03-23-2014 at 01:04 AM.

I installed mine like this:

A tow hook is just like a half cleet on a 1:1 boat... I would not run over 4s if I had a chance to rewind time... How cool is the water you run in? I usually run early morning to prevent the sun heating surface water. You will have to drill out the rudder to fit around the boot, or you can take a drill press or something which would look nicer. You could get it cut if you have the machinery, I don't remember if I had to flip the mount bar or not, it's been a while... I'm 17 and it wasn't hard for me to take MY drill and take away until it fits, it took a while but it was worth it! The prop is not directly behind MINE because I think my prop would hit my rudder, which doesn't seem like a great idea... I had to bend my servo rod to get the steering I wanted but for that inexpensive bar I would do it, or you can create your own by other means? Lol.

Some also do there's the way Kintec recommends it..... It might even help cavitation but having it off center didn't look right to me....lol
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-23-2014 at 09:03 PM.

That looks nice Spartanator. Also does the boat turn any better with that rudder? Spartan, I run my boat on 6S all the time with no failures (knock on wood).
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

I installed mine like this:

A tow hook is just like a half clert on a 1:1 boat... I would not run over 4s if I had a chance to rewind time... How cool is the water you run in? I usually run early morning to prevent the sum heating surface water. You will have to drill out the rudder to fit around the boot, or ou can take a drill press or something which would look nicer. You could get it cut if you have the machinery, I don't remember if I had to flip the mount bar or not, it's been a while... I'm 17 and it wasn't hard for me to take MY drill and take away until it fits, it took a while but it was worth it! The prop is not directly behind MINE because I think my prop would hit my rudder, which doesn't seem like a great idea... I had to bend my servo rod to get the steering I wanted but for that inexpensive bar I would do it, or you can create your own by other means? Lol.
    Aw man thats exactly how I have mine sitting right now.... perfect...I was able to fit it right over the boot... like an interference fit.

Thanks y'all! It does have a noticeable turning difference. Power Demon, I highly advise this upgrade and I mean this one of the best! It did add some cavitation but I adjusted my strut so my Spartan runs mostly out of the water at WOT and she handles like a dream, well before she blew... The strut adjustment helped but it's still there and will most likely never disappear... I see OSE has a rudder that looks similar to the Kintec 5"....
    LINK_1
    LINK_2
    ^^^I try to make it easy^^^ :)

Thanks y'all! It does have a noticeable turning difference. Power Demon, I highly advise this upgrade and I mean this one of the best! It did add some cavitation but I adjusted my strut so my Spartan runs mostly out of the water at WOT and she handles like a dream, well before she blew... The strut adjustment helped but it's still there and will most likely never disappear... I see OSE has a rudder that looks similar to the Kintec 5"....
    LINK_1
    LINK_2
    ^^^I try to make it easy^^^ :)
    Post a pic or link to the completed back end... Thinking about getting those adjustable trim tabs that have the knuckles on em but want direct replacement ones so I don't have to make new holes or have to modify n e thing else.

How easy was the install Spartanator? I'm not too keen on drilling holes in my boat.....

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
    How easy was the install Spartanator? I'm not too keen on drilling holes in my boat.....
    It was pretty easy, just have to be patient and take your time. I just drilled until the transom mount fit around the steering rod boot. Eyeballed it and marked holes. I did mark the holes with a sharpie and drill one at a time to make sure I wasn't just putting holes in my boat! PowerDemon, if you have a drill, and eyeball(s) you should be just fine! Lol
    I do think that it should be measured but it starts to matter if your more than a hair off.
    Long story short= So easy a Caveman with basic knowledge on how to use a drill could get it done! Lol
    Only if every Caveman could have a DeWalt! Lol
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-24-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Ok great thanks!

I'll b mounting mine up today....

It was pretty easy, just have to be patient and take your time. I just drilled until the transom mount fit around the steering rod boot. Eyeballed it and marked holes. I did mark the holes with a sharpie and drill one at a time to make sure I wasn't just putting holes in my boat! PowerDemon, if you have a drill, and eyeball(s) you should be just fine! Lol
    I do think that it should be measured but it starts to matter if your more than a hair off.
    Long story short= So easy a Caveman with basic knowledge on how to use a drill could get it done! Lol
    Only if every Caveman could have a DeWalt! Lol
    Also Spartanator, why is your boat cavitating?

IMAG0689.jpg So Decided to get started as i wait for the rest of my stuff to come in...

I'm sure why I have cavitation, Carnes99 on the TRX forums did as well.... I really think the rudder is causing most of it, but then again I am new to boats.
    Spartan: that looks great!

EDIT: I'm NOT sure....
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-25-2014 at 12:37 AM.

I'm sure why I have cavitation, Carnes99 on the TRX forums did as well.... I really think the rudder is causing most of it, but then again I am new to boats.
    Spartan: that looks great!
    Thanks I try to mix both function form together... I want to get the RC boat biz trim tabs but just not sure... What makes u think that??

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    IMAG0689.jpg So Decided to get started as i wait for the rest of my stuff to come in...
    It looks real nice are you going to use larger diameter cooling lines?

It looks real nice are you going to use larger diameter cooling lines?
    Not sure was gonna use what I had already. I'm waiting for the transom fittings to come in. Gonna try n put em where the hoses ran through which r right above the rudder. I got the large ones cuz I wasn't sure what size mine r. I know I can stretch a smaller hose onto a bigger hole so we'll see.

The 7/32 is a small upgrade and 1/4 is even better! If you had to go big I guess you could get the extra large OSE tubing but you would have to get little hose holders... The reason I think cavitation is happening is that the rudder MAY be actin like a wall next to the prop so H2O can't flow correctly, I'm in salt water with stock prop last time it was running... I just received my new SK180, I don't know if I want I send the ESC to my favorite soldering person on the TRX forums or have my LHS do it....?

The 7/32 is a small upgrade and 1/4 is even better! If you had to go big I guess you could get the extra large OSE tubing but you would have to get little hose holders... The reason I think cavitation is happening is that the rudder MAY be actin like a wall next to the prop so H2O can't flow correctly, I'm in salt water with stock prop last time it was running... I just received my new SK180, I don't know if I want I send the ESC to my favorite soldering person on the TRX forums or have my LHS do it....?

Well guess we'll see... It only moved over .5 of an inch or so... We'll see how mine runs.

Darn, you replied fast! I may just speaking out of the water (lol) but I am not sure if my statement has ANY type of accuracy. My Spartan runs pretty dry when at WOT so maybe I should adjust my strut but I really DON'T want to because it is the most stable I have ever seen it! Just ordered my SPC packs! SO EXCITED! Going to mail off my ESC soon!

Darn, you replied fast! I may just speaking out of the water (lol) but I am not sure if my statement has ANY type of accuracy. My Spartan runs pretty dry when at WOT so maybe I should adjust my strut but I really DON'T want to because it is the most stable I have ever seen it! Just ordered my SPC packs! SO EXCITED! Going to mail off my ESC soon!
    Well hopefully the setup I have is solid....

As long as you don't go past 5s you will be good, hopefully. So why did you decide to run on 3s in parallel? I think that would be sloooooow, like 25mph slow or are you running two 3s in series? I'm jut confused due to the first post where you state your lipo specs...
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-25-2014 at 12:14 PM.

As long as you don't go past 5s you will be good, hopefully. So why did you decide to run on 3s in parallel? I think that would be sloooooow, like 25mph slow or are you running two 3s in series? I'm jut confused due to the first post where you state your lipo specs...
    The batteries came with the boat. I got it from a previous owner. Yeah pretty sure it's parallel. I do.t think the esc can handle them in series.

If you have the Castle ESC I think it should handle 6S fine as long as you aren't crazy with it. And keep the prop within x442 range.

If you have the Castle ESC I think it should handle 6S fine as long as you aren't crazy with it. And keep the prop within x442 range.
    Man if u say it's like 25 mph then dang it's pretty quik to me...Lol.... Well food for thought then.. I see 5s is popular or common maybe I will try that... N e good n affordable places for batteries??

5s will be better, it's just a 3s and 2s of the same specs that provides 5 cells. LIPO_1 LIPO_2 I just ordered the 5600mah packs. After having four SPC packs for my land RC I will only buy SPC from now on! And yes, PowerDemon is mostly correct, he just uses the word "should" and when in doubt that should word usually results in broken boat IMO.... No chopin' on PowerDemon, it's just my 2 cents... My 2 cents could be worth more though! lol
    I was running pretty stock driveling besides a bullet nut when mine smoked. It also depends what temp your water is, i am in Texas so by the end of the day the surface water is too warm to SAFELY run... Anyways get some SPC lipos, they are the best IMO!

EDIT: They are out of stock most of there lipo's at the moment but they are worth waiting. Whichever you buy don't go below 45C, some ESCs may be melting because they can't get the proper power.

Well if that's the case that means I'm runnin 6s 2 3s packs in parallel guess the only downfall is the discharge rate @ 25c.

If the two 3s packs were in parallel than that would just be like running on one 3s but double runtime.... How many wires do you have coming from your ESC to the battery connectors? Should be be TWO negative (black) and one positive (red).Pictures may help...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast