Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Spartan build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    If the two 3s packs were in parallel than that would just be like running on one 3s but double runtime.... How many wires do you have coming from your ESC to the battery connectors? Should be be TWO negative (black) and one positive (red).Pictures may help...?
    Yeah I'll post a pic...sorry for the confusion...

If the two 3s packs were in parallel than that would just be like running on one 3s but double runtime.... How many wires do you have coming from your ESC to the battery connectors? Should be be TWO negative (black) and one positive (red).Pictures may help...?
    IMAG0692.jpg

Also got my stuff from OSE today. put in the bulkhead fittings n it worked as i imagined it... i wil post pics once i get my stuff in from Jeff. which should be Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That's a serial connection. 2 x 3S will give you 6S

Just a heads up, keep an eye on your Deans connectors for running hot. They are great connectors, but a bit under rated for the Spartan. I ran Deans in everything until the Spartan, I have now standardized all my boats to EC5's.

Kevin

Thanks for the pic, dag-nabit is correct, as like most of the time-well always-...
    I just had a thought, if the TRX/Deans are acted for a certain amount of amps 50C batteries wouldn't matter much? Maybe I'm just blabbing...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    That's a serial connection. 2 x 3S will give you 6S

Just a heads up, keep an eye on your Deans connectors for running hot. They are great connectors, but a bit under rated for the Spartan. I ran Deans in everything until the Spartan, I have now standardized all my boats to EC5's.

Kevin
    Ok, I have them in everything. I will keep an eye on em... Can't wait to get this thing in the water... N e ideas on what should I use to lubricate the strut. I got the OSE one. So not sure if I should use oil or grease...

Try some of the grim racer grease, the stock isn't think enough (IMO) maybe if you live near a HD/Lowes or even a Marine shop pick some marine grease up...

Grim Racer grease is good, have used it in the past.
    Now I just pick up a cartridge of water resistant wheel bearing grease at the local hardware/auto supply. It's inexpensive and you get enough for 3-4 seasons.
    Kevin

Thanks guys.... Well just got the flex cable in n......... Hold the phone.... The .187 cable won't go in!!!! Wth. I have the OSE strut...

Was the OSE strut specifically designed for the Spartan stub shaft?

The Spartan flex cable has a bit different prop stub on it than most RC boats. The measurements escape my memory at the moment, I will see if I can find them.

The .187 cable fits the stock strut, but you do have to remove teflon liner from the stuffing tube.

Kevin

EDIT

OK if memory serves the Spartan stub shaft is 5mm diameter, stepped down to 3/16" (.187") to accommodate standard size props and drive dogs. (NOTE: FYI many Chinese manufactured boats run 4mm cables, with 3/16" stub shafts)

If your replacement strut has 3/16" (.187") bushings in it, it is possible the .187 flex will be too tight to fit.

You can see the "step" on the Spartan Stub just to the right of the drive dog flat. This could be the difference between fitting or not.

The "good" news is a standard 3/16" stub shaft size gives you many more options to source flex cables. The "bad" news is, it appears you are limited to .150 flex cable diameter, or, a wire drive.

Kevin
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 03-28-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Yeah I got that... It's just that the shaft doesn't go in the strut.. not the cable but the shaft...

OK

Would be the same issue, If the strut is 3/16" and the stub shaft 5mm, it will be too big to fit through the bushings.

I believe you mentioned it is a Jeff Wohlt flex cable? His Spartan cables are fitted with the same size stub as OEM (5mm).

But you are right, the flex should fit since 3/16" is same as .187". It is the 5mm stub possibly not being compatible with the OSE strut.

Kevin

Here are some mods I just did in the last 48 hours. I Will find out how it will all work on Monday. I installed a Leopard 4082 - 1600KV, 200A ESC and adjustable turn fins with stainless hardware. I will try a 442 prop for the first run. I have other props to move up too. The next part I will try is a dual water pick rudder. I may try one that is a little longer in length, I heard positive results.
    Spartan03.jpgSpartan08.jpgSpartan09.jpgSpartan10.jpgSpartan11.jpg

OK

Would be the same issue, If the strut is 3/16" and the stub shaft 5mm, it will be too big to fit through the bushings.

I believe you mentioned it is a Jeff Wohlt flex cable? His Spartan cables are fitted with the same size stub as OEM (5mm).

But you are right, the flex should fit since 3/16" is same as .187". It is the 5mm stub possibly not being compatible with the OSE strut.

Kevin

Well this Sux... Now I have a part I can't use... And I really wanted to use it too... Jeez...guess I'll have to use the stock one... Just fill it with grease I suppose.

I WAS thinking to get the wire drive and then pick up a strut from OSE but guess not now...

You have options.

As you suggested, run the OEM strut with your .187 wire drive. I run this setup on one Spartan, Haven't replaced a wire drive in two seasons. I find the strut lasts about a season.

Or you can go to either a .087 wire drive, or .150 cable with a "standard" 3/16" stub shaft and run the OSE strut. (I'm not sure if you can get a 3/16" stub with .187 flex??)

I run a wire drive in the other Spartan with OEM strut, with pretty much the same result, about a season out of the strut. I think the wire drive may wear the bushings a bit quicker because of the stiffness of the wire.

Note: I find the wire drives easier to cut to length than flex cables, if required. The flex cables need to be soldered at the cutoff to prevent unraveling, and I find them very difficult to solder properly.

Kevin

Ok....Well got ahold of Jeff n he said he can modify it for me...

Was the OSE strut specifically designed for the Spartan stub shaft?

The Spartan flex cable has a bit different prop stub on it than most RC boats. The measurements escape my memory at the moment, I will see if I can find them.

The .187 cable fits the stock strut, but you do have to remove teflon liner from the stuffing tube.

Kevin

EDIT

OK if memory serves the Spartan stub shaft is 5mm diameter, stepped down to 3/16" (.187") to accommodate standard size props and drive dogs. (NOTE: FYI many Chinese manufactured boats run 4mm cables, with 3/16" stub shafts)

If your replacement strut has 3/16" (.187") bushings in it, it is possible the .187 flex will be too tight to fit.

You can see the "step" on the Spartan Stub just to the right of the drive dog flat. This could be the difference between fitting or not.

The "good" news is a standard 3/16" stub shaft size gives you many more options to source flex cables. The "bad" news is, it appears you are limited to .150 flex cable diameter, or, a wire drive.

Kevin
    Love the made in USA ruler...

Anyway Spartan you should pickup the kit from Kintec I have it and its great. Overated for stock though.
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

I would have but they didn't have n e in stock when I went to purchase... Just gotta wait some more now... It's all good...

Well everything is built up ready to go... Jeff modified the flex cable for me and it fits like a glove... I've been really busy since the last post but I got the cabl back like maybe a week and a half ago and last night I assembled everything... Just gotta lube it now n charge the batteries n give it a whirl... Hopefully I will find some time to do so.. I'll post a pic of the transom later today.

I received my OSE Velcro Battery Straps, the 11.80" ones to be exact! I should "warn" you that they fit and they look darn good! They are no doubt a bit longer and wider than the stock straps but these have more stick IMO and are a direct fit! I killed a flex cable the other day, unsure what caused it yet because my strut was level and I was only pushing 1 5s pack that day. Trim tabs were level to. I was trying to stability tune since we finally had NO wind!

Sorry Spartan, Don't mean to jack your thread....lol Ever get yours up n' runnin'?

I received my OSE Velcro Battery Straps, the 11.80" ones to be exact! I should "warn" you that they fit and they look darn good! They are no doubt a bit longer and wider than the stock straps but these have more stick IMO and are a direct fit! I killed a flex cable the other day, unsure what caused it yet because my strut was level and I was only pushing 1 5s pack that day. Trim tabs were level to. I was trying to stability tune since we finally had NO wind!

Sorry Spartan, Don't mean to jack your thread....lol Ever get yours up n' runnin'?
    Do you lube the cable after each time you go out? I noticed after each time out at the lake, the cable is in need of grease. Also if you hammer on and off the throttle will hurt the cable.

I lube the heck out of it before every run, then after I clean with freshwater and WD-40 then store it on the battery compartment. I admit I can be heavy with the throttle sometimes but I was scared I would flip so I couldn't jump on the trigger...:) I still have a wire drive that needs to see some use, just gotta get the correct hex sizes for the coupler part.

Not yet but it's fully assembled. Gotta lube the cable and charge the packs. Been super busy lately... Keep us posted on yours though.

I ordered some new lipos from SPC, 2 of these (been sitting in my Spartan bin for a month) and two of these that have are on there way!
    I plan to have 3 5s sets, I currently have 2 5s lipos (parallel) from NeuEnergy (got em' used) and get some nice runtime to enjoy the boat. They are only 35C but 6200mah. I need to pick up some more chargers (TRX 2933)

I now run a P215, ambient temps- 79F motor temp 113F.

I am going to switch back to an X442, less heat. Had a blast running it this weekend though, had about 8-10 runs since Friday. Multiple flip overs caused my ESC to bounce off it mounting point.

I eventually put zip ties on the ESC to hold in place. Works well.

Thanks dag-nabit, I run the stock ESC (little modified) so it has it's mount points. I was running HARD and it barrel rolled twice .

Hey guys been awhile huh..Lol....well finally got the boat out today. Man this thing is sexy on the water... Gotta look it over though... I think I may need some new batteries. The boat went into cut off mode quite quickly real quick actually. probably 3 min in to the ride. Other than that the new parts work great. Got a nice steady flow of water coming out the sideports.. hopefully it's both of em..Lol.. andbodg have some recommendations on a good set of Lipo's I was told the ones I'm running r to low.

How's yalls goin?

I would suggest SPC lipos. They work very well. Another brand to look at would definitely be Revoletrix. They are as good as if not better than the SPC packs. Make sure that you get 50c or higher. Hope this helps!
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12