Thread: Firebird Lake??

Default Firebird Lake??

hey guys just wanted to throw feeler out..have had great meeting with guys at firebird..aka wild horse pass motorsports..they are very interested in having boat races..gas and electric..talking with newland..I guess the gas guys only have 1 event in phoenix area per year..they have a few questions..but will be working with dave newland in next couple of days to get something going..but basically..it would be a $15 dollar fee to get into park..and of course rest of details are in works as of right now..if anyone in az or surrounding states is interested please chime in..would like to do something early april..

this is a world class facility..they hold finals here for drag boat races..real boats..so course size isn't an issue..or noise

The FE racers looked at Firebird a few years back and determined that it wasn't suitable for the boats that we raced at the time. Even with today's larger and more powerful boats the surface conditions of the lake may be too rough for racing. Granted, there are times when it's glassy and smooth, but for the most part it's unpredictably windy and very choppy..... the unpredictability being the negative factor. The only suitable launch and retrieve locations are the ramps at the North and South ends of the lake, both in the least sheltered areas. Some of the gas boaters may be comfortable if conditions are right. My two cents....

It would most likely work for gas. Might want to talk to Lenny Blake.
    As for electric the other problem besides being rough is the salt that is in the water there. Salty water and electrics no Bueno!

Ted

Salt water. Never knew that. Google confirmed, not that I didn't believe you or anything.

That nixes it for me.

Thanks for mentioning that, Ted..... something that I now recall from the real boat racers, but didn't connect with R/C.... doh!

Yep..salt water..weird