Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for me to build my first saw boat

Epoxy laid out. Now I just have to wait till it dries. Then I can begin mounting stuff.

And I got this in today. It's already given me a few ideas on my build. I'm not sure if the previous owner wants me discussing any of it so I'll ask him first. But here's the boat..... I bought this for my buddy and to get some ideas on my my build. I wasnt sure how to lay everything out just yet and this answers all my questions.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

So my inlay is dry enough to touch now. So I started laying stuff out. I was going to be held up because of a custom motor mount I was having made. Well that got pushed back a week or so. I don't want to wait. So I modified a mount I had. I chucked up the tail ring in my lathe and cut the inside diameter bigger to fit my finned castle motor. I had to slot the screw holes a little longer on the CF side plates and voila.... It fit like a champ! Then I noticed the cooling jacket was too long. Back to the lathe and shorten it a little. Then I got carried away and polished it. I'm getting excited now! Tomorrow night I may get started on mounting the strut then cutting the hole for the stuffing tube. I'm making my own servo mount too. It will have a cf plate on bottom. Two 3/4" threaded posts and then a cf plate on top.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I just remembered. I need a Damn servo, receiver and some linkage boots. I ordered everything a few minutes ago except the receiver. I posted a wanted ad for one before I buy a new one. I guess I need not be in a hurry as I have one that I was going to use for my bling. I can use it and replace the bling one later. I ended up ordering a waterproof savox servo. Hopefully they are as good as everyone says they are. I coukd have want with a hitec.... This one just looks better. Lol

Looks great! How much weight have you added in this strengthening process?

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Sorkin View Post
    Looks great! How much weight have you added in this strengthening process?

-Ben
    Its hard to say because I didn't use up all the epoxy every time I mixed it up. I also poured... Sanded... Poured sanded in the sponson area. I added 3oz in the tips. 1oz in the center and about 1.5oz per sponson, 1oz in the transom and the weight of the CF cloth which was 15"x16" and the resin for that which I mixed up 60grams of it but soaked alot back up with the foam roller. I'd guess I total about half a pound lol. It should stay together if I flip it a few times lol!
    Last edited by kfxguy; 03-11-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Made some progress tonight. Made the stuffing tube and epoxied it in and mounted the motor and rudder/strut bracket.

Looking great, surprised I missed it till now. Looks like your going to go real fast! Great hull choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    Looking great, surprised I missed it till now. Looks like your going to go real fast! Great hull choice.
    Thanks. I thought you saw the thread and posted on the first page. Maybe not. I'm waiting on or few things that should be here tomorrow so in the mean time I'm going to get the rest of the epoxy work done. I'm waiting on a servo, billet rods ends for steering linkage, billet servo arm, stainless rod for linkage, hatch bolts and some boots. Hopefully everything will get here by the weekend so I can finish it up.

Properly done inlays add very very little weight and judging by kfxguys work it looks as if he "struck the balance," based on the texture of inlay. Great work again. What kinda speed and props you going to be running? Andy brown can cut down and pitch up anything his props are incredible and will add more speed than you can imagine.

I also go to dasboata, his props gave me more speed than I knew what to do with

Quote Originally Posted by iridebikes247 View Post
    Properly done inlays add very very little weight and judging by kfxguys work it looks as if he "struck the balance," based on the texture of inlay. Great work again. What kinda speed and props you going to be running? Andy brown can cut down and pitch up anything his props are incredible and will add more speed than you can imagine.

I also go to dasboata, his props gave me more speed than I knew what to do with
    Thanks man. I did soak up a bunch of resin. It has a fairly smooth texture so it's not too dry but it's not too wet either.

You gave me a really good idea with the props. I'm going to get one done and compare to my prop job. I feel certain that their job is going to be better than mine as I'm a newb. I would like to see the difference. I have a few different one to try. I have these in the pic and I have a 646/3 and an x450 that I haven't even removed from the package yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Thanks. I thought you saw the thread and posted on the first page. Maybe not. I'm waiting on or few things that should be here tomorrow so in the mean time I'm going to get the rest of the epoxy work done. I'm waiting on a servo, billet rods ends for steering linkage, billet servo arm, stainless rod for linkage, hatch bolts and some boots. Hopefully everything will get here by the weekend so I can finish it up.
    Well looks like all my stuff from kintec is out for delivery today. Yeah!

My stuff from kintec came in. I'm disappointed in the hatch locks. Don't get me wrong, they are really nice and high quality...... Just the bottom is too big. I ordered the medium sized ones. I didn't want to use the small ones because the springs are weak. Looks like I'll be replacing springs or making the medium top work with the small bottom.

Got some stuff done tonight. Finished the epoxy on the motor mount. Had to remove the motor and do the inside. I also made a mount for the esc. Its a flat cf plate with two slots milled in it for a velcro strap and I epoxied it in. Then I made a really nice, super light and cheap servo mount. I really like how it turned out. Something different than what you buy and its low profile which is what I needed. Trying to keep weigh as low in the hull as possible and every bit counts... Right? Lol

This is very, very nice work.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    This is very, very nice work.
    Thanks man! This means alot coming from you! :)

I have a better idea on the hatch hold down. I was gonna use hatch locks. I don't like how big a Hole I have to drill to make them work and weakening my hull which I don't want. I was recommended to go with hatch bolts. I don't like the idea of having to fumble with an Allen wrench. So my idea is some knurled aluminum thumb screws.

I have a better idea on the hatch hold down. I was gonna use hatch locks. I don't like how big a Hole I have to drill to make them work and weakening my hull which I don't want. I was recommended to go with hatch bolts. I don't like the idea of having to fumble with an Allen wrench. So my idea is some knurled aluminum thumb screws.
    Thumb screws work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar22 View Post
    Thumb screws work.
    Where did you get those? I like them.

The stuffing tube and motor mount turned out first rate, nice job. Excellent work on the servo mount to. Your really outdoing yourself on this one. I am almost ready to start my build thread, been a long time coming and should have it up within a few days, if not today. Keep up the top notch work!

Where did you get those? I like them.
    I have a bunch coming in on Monday. I also have the rubber washers and foam seal. PM me what you need and screw size and we will see what we can do.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    The stuffing tube and motor mount turned out first rate, nice job. Excellent work on the servo mount to. Your really outdoing yourself on this one. I am almost ready to start my build thread, been a long time coming and should have it up within a few days, if not today. Keep up the top notch work!
    Thanks man. I learned a few more tricks since I built the cheetah. I think I wasn't as into building the cheetah as this boat. Not saying the cheetah isn't build well... It is. I just got more excited after driving the cheetah a few times. Guess I was a little depressed because I wrecked my geico. Was nervous about doing it again and destroying a much more expensive boat. I've found a safer place to run since then and learned not to do what I did again lol. I've also had more energy here lately and I usually don't work in my shop during the week. I was hoping to have this thing done this weekend but the hatch locks ordeal is setting me back. I'm going to run to this badass hardware store we have 15 mins frm my house to see if they have some stuff to do what I'm planning on with the hatch so I don't have to wait. Still gotta get by the hobby shop and grab my castle connectors. Probably do both tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 12-26-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Time to drill the hatch for my bolt setup. Never drilled a hatch before and I didn't wanna screw it up. So I came up with my own way of making where to drill. I'm sure yo can figure out what I did by the PUC.....

Next time just measure and mark holes to be drilled on the hatch keeping in mind that the thread bosses have to sit in the hatch lip. Then with the hatch on, drill your holes through hatch and hatch lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar22 View Post
    Next time just measure and mark holes to be drilled on the hatch keeping in mind that the thread bosses have to sit in the hatch lip. Then with the hatch on, drill your holes through hatch and hatch lip.
    I didn't trust myself holding the drill straight or maybe slipping and scratching it up lol.

Hatch is done. I put the foam Seal on. I have some temp hatch screws on there for now. The motor is mounted. Wires shortened on the esc and motor. Blue loctite on all the screws. I'm laying the straps and velcro for the batteries right now while the epoxy dries on the ubec. Servo is mounted. Rudder and linkage done. Two part foam floatation in the hull and hatch is done. Basically I have to run the cooling lines and finish hooking up electrical. Almost done!

I had some issue with the cooling lines and steering linkage getting in the way of each other. I had to recent the steering linkage and run a short piece of brass tubing to the cooling bulkhead fitting. I didn't want to take the chance of it binding. Its good now but took a while to get it sorted. All I have left is the power connections on the esc and its done. I decided to call it quits for the night. Here's some pics.

I'm putting foam in the hatch. I don't know why because if it comes off its going to take some of the hull with it. Lol. I guess just in case..... You never know.

Looks good, Maybe run some CF cloth over the hatch and seal the foam in after leveling. Looks good and adds some strength to it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast