Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Time for me to build my first saw boat

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Vacuum bagging some more battery trays. This time using all carbon instead of a balsa core like I have been.

Travis, I'm curious what is the reason for vacuum bagging the trays and what materials do you use it on and does it make a difference?
    thanks

Well back then I'd make my carbon sheets with a vacuum bag method. One side would turn out smooth and shiny like glass and the other side would be rough like the bag. Then I started laying my sheets up using two pieces of 1/4 glass plates and wood backing on the top glass with a bunch of weight on top. That method turns out some nice sheets of carbon.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

cool, just learned something

The vacuum bagged piece will probably be lighter though. Even a converted fridge compressor should be able to pull 20hg which is like stacking 930lb on an area the size of an A4 sheet of paper.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    The vacuum bagged piece will probably be lighter though. Even a converted fridge compressor should be able to pull 20hg which is like stacking 930lb on an area the size of an A4 sheet of paper.
    I may be, but the vacuum bagged ones did not turn out and nice as the glass sheet ones. The glsss sheet ones were stronger than the bagged ones too, the bagged ones seemed to not have enough epoxy in them if that makes any sense. Do note this thread was from long ago and I've improved processes on everything since this thread. I only posted because I thought it was pretty funny how I used to do stuff back then and I thought that was neatly done. I guess it was but doesn't quite compare to the current methods.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

please do tell. . .the improved process or current methods

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234