Thread: Correct Prop for MG

Default Correct Prop for MG

I guess this is the right spot..Hello fellow boaters I am new to electric boats.I have a new MG and was wondering what prop to use.I have a leopard 4082 1600kv motor 180 amp esc and 2 x Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack.Boat has not seen water yet.Thanks for your help

I have run a Leopard 4082/ 2200kv on 4s with m445 most of the time, also ran with x462. If you have different props, I will start with m442 and work up since you are on 6s.
    Presently I am running a Proboat 1800 kv motor on 4s and a M545, I like that better than the m445, but this is a stock Stilleto motor and is a whole different story...

So you have 1 3s pack per side? If so she is light. You should spin an X6 prop no sweat but start small and check temps. I also like that X545 but run X645 too with my 4074 Castle.

Let me know how you get on with that set up.its identical to what im planning for my second boat.i was planning to go for a m645 prop, no lift and extra drive? Leopard motor is good for up to 9s, it should be great.good luck.

Oh my Geico has been running the 645 for 2years now. The M645 is best. You have lots of room there for experimentation. With that setup.

With hindsight would u still buy a geico or go for the blackjack based on different hardware and rudder setup in the same hull?probably not much in it but when your staring down the barrel of spending that much money + the cost of mods,any help is appreciated.cheers.

Yup. BlackJack has the offset rudder,80amp ESC, and a program card. I also like the 1800kv motor too. It is a nice kv to work with. 5s would be a good step up with that. I have them in my Geico twin but haven't tried 6s yet https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-Little-Twin-G

Not fussed about the innards, they can go in my first boat.I like the look of that leopard motor though and maybe the usual t180 or a hydra ice 240.i guess the offset rudder gives more room to change up?

Thankyou to all who have given me the help on the props for my setup of the M G ...Gord

Quote Originally Posted by jonrs2k View Post
    With hindsight would u still buy a geico or go for the blackjack based on different hardware and rudder setup in the same hull?probably not much in it but when your staring down the barrel of spending that much money + the cost of mods,any help is appreciated.cheers.
    I would base your decision on which paint scheme you like better as both configs are great and differences are pretty minor

Here are some minor considerations:
    Miss G's center mounted rudder makes left and right hand turning nearly equal, a lot of folks like that. Plus it looks more scale. The Blackjack's offset rudder is more for oval racing, but it still turns left just fine, but requires different steering input. The offset rudder makes removing the flexshaft marginally easier (on the Miss G, you have to remove the prop and the nut (you can leave the drive dog on) to get it to slide past the rudder-- no big deal). Either boat can run either config so if you don't like one you can switch it over to the other config.

If you want to run 6S on the stock motor, the MIss G's motor is 1600kv which is perfect for 6S setup. The blackjack's 1800kv motor is too much RPM IMHO. If you want to run 4S, the blackjack's stock motor will give you a tad more speed.

The blackjack has a 80A esc rated for 6s voltage vs. miss G's 60A rated for 4S voltage. HOWEVER, while the blackjack's ESC is rated for 6s VOLTAGE, 80A is not enough headroom to handle the current spikes on 6S IMHO if you plan to prop up. To run the blackjack reliably on 6S you need to run a small prop, which will end up giving you about the same speed as running it on 4S with a larger prop. To run on 6S reliably with a larger prop you need a 120-180A ESC. You'll hear lots of folks say they run 6S no problem, but I know many people who have burned out their stock ESC trying it. Bottom line, on both boats the stock ESCs are great on 4S up to x642 prop which will get you really close to 50mph with stock motor and esc. If you want to upgrade to 6S I'd upgrade the ESC. So the ESC difference should not really be a consideration in your decision between the 2 boats. PS, the stock escs are very nice and highly water resistant, so I'm a big fan on leaving the boat on 4S and running x642.

I have a setup guide for both of these boat which also covers strut mod to improve handling, connector upgrades, prop selection and prep, useful links, etc. If you'd like a copy shoot me an email at jqhydro@gmail.com

Chief

Thanks Chief,all taken onboard! (Good vids too!)

What would your advice be on a BNIB mystic 29?esc upgrade before it hits the water.did the blackjack move on that much?

Hello fellow boater I have a prather 220 and a 225 .Are these any good for my setup as per above

The 220 should be real good on the MG Gordo. The 225 may be slightly large but if you move the strut up accordingly should work as well. It may 'prop walk' on you.

Default Prather Props

Srislash Thankyou very much for your feed back on the Prather Props.Will try both once the ice melts.

Quote Originally Posted by jonrs2k View Post
    What would your advice be on a BNIB mystic 29?esc upgrade before it hits the water.did the blackjack move on that much?
    The Mystic (which has been discontinued) is very similar to the Blackjack, except it uses the older 60A ESC. Note that the 60A esc is not rated for 6S voltage, but like I cover in the setup guides, the blackjacks "6S" ESC (rated for 22.2v) is only 80A and isn't a real practical choice for 6S either-- so in my mind they are pretty much the same boat.

Chief

G'day tlandauer,,i have this miss geico29 and im just replacing my stock esc with seaking 180 amp,and everytime i connect the battery to the esc it always spark and i think it will harm my esc,is it possible to install on-off switch between the batt to the esc,,hope you will help ,,tnx

Quote Originally Posted by Muckhangbata87 View Post
    G'day tlandauer,,i have this miss geico29 and im just replacing my stock esc with seaking 180 amp,and everytime i connect the battery to the esc it always spark and i think it will harm my esc,is it possible to install on-off switch between the batt to the esc,,hope you will help ,,tnx
    The spark is a good thing, it lets you know that your capacitors are working and charging up ( storing energy). If and when you don't see spark consistently, ( when you first connect, there will be a definite one, but if you unplug and re-connect quickly, the spark is not as evident because the charge in the capacitor is still there) it's time to check your capacitor or just replace them. Sure , the spark is annoying, but it is harmless to your electronics. You can install a spark arrestor but I would not install a switch. Too many things in the circuit = too much resistance.
    http://kintecracing.com/
    Fifteenth item down this front page.
    of course you need to configure your bullet plugs accordingly.
    Most don't bother with 4s set up. When you go to 8s, 10s or 12s, then a spark arrestor would be nice.
    JMO.

Tnx so much that will help,,,,