Thread: offset rudder for Miss Geico 24

Default offset rudder for Miss Geico 24

Lemme know what you have and for how much.

Thanks!

I just use a piece of U-Channel Aluminum from a metal store and copy Kintec's offset. Cost me less than a dollar.
    Nortavlag Bulc

even if u bought direct from kentec its onlt 18 bucks
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Ray, I am all for making my own, it's just I don't have a template or measurements to aide in the fabrication. Fabrication could be a real PITA if all I have to go by is pictures off the internet. Making the rudder seems problematic too given that it has to be hollow to allow for the water pickup, and, needs a hole to allow for the rudder to braket set pin.

I understand. I can see your time being worth more than $18 if you have to go get the aluminum, then fab it up.

FWIW I like the way the Mystic was offset better than the Geico or BJ29 because the prop wash is free from the overhanging aluminum. It's just not that easy to setup with the control arm. If you are just sport boating the Kintec is fine or whatever similar units are available.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I don't know how the mystic offset differs from the MG29 offset, weren't both applications set upon the rudder being to the right of the prop?

When the MG29 or BJ29 use an offset there is aluminum over top of the prop that can interfere with prop wash. Not a big deal for just having fun but, the Mystic uses a different bracket that leaves no aluminum overhang above prop and leaves the prop wash alone. Not really a big deal, sorry if I caused any confusion.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Mystic offset: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pro-Boat-PRB4...item58ab11147b

You would have to cut off part of the Port side strut mount and re-drill it's mounting hole to use this. You would also have to change the steering rod or make other mods like the Mystic. Much simpler would be to get an offset bracket from Kintec or elsewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, haha, no need to apologize and no real confusion, I am a noob when it comes to this hobby, just got my boat in December!! Confusion is my life!

One thing that is perplexing me, I read here and other OFS posts where people say "just get the Kintec, it only costs 18 bucks." What costs $18??? My MG24 has a steerable drive, so, if i were to convert to an offset, I would need the breakaway bracket, the prop strut with mounting bracket AND the rudder - that is WAY more than $18. As a matter of fact, I don't even see a rudder for a MG on the Kintec site. Can someone open my narrow eyes?? :)

I am thinking that these parts will get my 24 to be offset:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Boat-Pro...item1e86792ab7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Boat-Off...item258981b910

Maybe an even more important question is, do I even need an offset? I am currently running the stock, brushed 2200kv motor, brushed 50A ESC and a 2s, 7.4 25c 5000mah lipo. i have another like battery and a parallel AND serial Y to mix/match. I also have a new MG29 motor (1500kv) and matched ESC (45A brushless) to swap in. I also got a cheapo leopard 33kv 15t that I may try before the PB 1500. just having fun upgrading, testing speed along the way - but really, will any of my above upgrades require a rudder location change? I won't kill my boat (will watch heat, etc.), just charting performance increases as i go.
    Last edited by tjdabomb; 02-19-2014 at 01:46 AM.

sorry dude didn't notice the geigo 24 part just read geigo.....your not confused u know what u need ...good job forget the 18 bucks lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I'm sure there is a thread in here and or in RC Groups boat section for this whole upgrade. The Geico hardware bolts right on and you just have to cut the stuffing tube shorter as well as a new flex cable. The mod helps higher speed handling,

Last page shows the mod. I've done this but, all home made from less expensive parts except I splurged on the rudder, Speedmaster because I race it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post27394947

When you start upgrading motors and batteries, you will want to go to a flex cable only without the U-joint the original outdrive comes with. Offset is always a good mod, handles better and doesn't rob any power from being directly behind the prop and interfering with prop wash. The parts you show on Ebay are just fine but, since the boat is ABS plastic you might want to reinforce to transom in case you hit something in the water with the rudder as the one you show does not have a kick up rudder bracket. Even if you have a kick up rudder it's a good idea to make the transom stronger anyway.

Pic is from RC groups
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 02-19-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Spend a few extra bucks and you just need a Geico strut and 1/2 the strut bracket. This helps save your transom: Kick away rudder

The Mystic version would need a hole drilled in the bracket for the steering rod though.
    Nortavlag Bulc

For what I describe doing to the boat, does everyone agree that an offset setup is even necessary??

Though the bl 1500kv can produce high speeds ala the 29, I won't be racing this and really won't be pushing it too hard.

Though I do look at that u-joint and think "oh no". Replacing it would be a part and parcel upgrade along with the offset.

Oh... And thanks for the replies ray!!

Oh, and Ray, one more question: how and what would I use to upgrade/stiffen the transom without adding too much weight??