Thread: ESC troubles

Default ESC troubles

Hello, I bought a used stiletto Saturday, and just ran it today, after about 5 passes the motor wouldn't turn the prop, so I brought it back to the dock, and unplugged everything, then reconnected the batteries, while making sure everything was good, I heard sparks, followed by smoke. (Fried the ESC) running twin 7.4v 5000mah 30c batteries. Is there a better ESC that I could get? I've installed a seaking 180A in my mystic, however I'm not sure if the 180 will fit in the stiletto. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, Garrett

You may wanna check that motor depending on how it stopped. Did it slow like the LVC kicked in or did it stop suddenly? Or did it come in running rough?

Cool

after about 5 passes the motor wouldn't turn the prop, so I brought it back to the dock
    This makes no sense of course. As mentioned, how was the motor running on the way in? If it was running rough then a motor lead may have come unsoldered - not uncommon on RTR motors. The resulting intermittent connection would make the motor run rough and will take out an ESC.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

The motor was running fine at first. No problems, then it seemed like the batteries were dead, steering would work, but no throttle. So I took the batteries out, then put them back in, and right after I hooked the batteries up smoke started coming out of the ESC.

Did you lube the flex shaft and check for water flow and temps,
    Before the 5 passes on the new boat ?
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Yes, I lubed the prop shaft, and checked the water flow, there were no blockages. And not sure how to check temps on a boat without running it first.

1 minute runs than check temps on everything.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

that's going to be a little difficult now, that my esc is blown. is there a better replacement than the factory esc? or should I just keep it the same and get a larger dynamite esc? (like the blackjack 29 80A esc)

Well learn to test first,
    Than play and bash knowing all should be good.

Post some close up pictures of your smoked esc want to see how the caps look,
    If you end up needing a esc for it,
    I think the seaking/turnigy 60a or 120a would be the better way to go.
    Do you already have the program card for the 180a in the mystic ?
    Last edited by lenny; 02-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Yes, I bought the program card for the 180A. I've got the same setup in my Spartan, as my Mystic. (Dynamite 1800kv, HobbyWing 180A, 6mm bullet connectors, and Spektrum MR200's.)
    Will the 180A fit in the Stiletto? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to pull one out of my other boats and see, but I was thinking about the 120A instead of the 180A.

Oh man it still stinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep that looks pretty bad,
    What does the motor look like ?
    I think I have new one of those esc on my parts shelf,
    If you are looking for a stock one for the setup.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Would it be better with a 120A ESC, than a stock ESC?

I like the way the seaking 180A ESC handles the throttle versus the stock ESC. Where if you give just a little throttle on the stock ESC the boat jumps out of the water, and with the seaking it will idle, and not jump out of the water.
    Also the ability to have reverse is nice.

Hello Garrett im a beginner in rc boat,,, i have this miss geico29 and im replacing my esc with seaking 180 amp,,,i just wanna ask,,did you put an on-off switch on your esc,,,coz everytime i connect my battery to the esc it always spark and i think it will harm my esc,,,hope you will help me,,tnx

Hello Garrett im a beginner in rc boat,,, i have this miss geico29 and im replacing my esc with seaking 180 amp,,,i just wanna ask,,did you put an on-off switch on your esc,,,coz everytime i connect my battery to the esc it always spark and i think it will harm my esc,,,hope you will help me,,tnx

I didn't install an on/off switch. Just for simplicity. But the spark is natural. It happens on all my models.