Thread: Snow boat in Ontario

Default Snow boat in Ontario

Thought I would give it a try today
    We had about 2 " of fresh soft snow on top of some stiffer snow this morning

Every one seems to play with a CAT in the snow but I thought I would try my shovel nose

I put a 445 prop on it and taped the lid shut

We have a big snow covered hay field behind my house that you can just see the odd piece of hay sticking through the snow

Went to the edge of the field and gave the boat a toss and it stopped where it landed

Turn fin stuck right in so what the heck why not take the fin off and give it one more try (my hands were all ready getting cold -20C this morning)

Boat with no fin and gave it another toss and it kept going woo hoo it works

First pictures are field before playing (have to load some more pictures of after)
    Attached Images Attached Images

After playing (only proof that it worked)

No chance at video and driving at the same time when I was by myself

One thing about running on a pond vs on snow you can go over a bit of a hill and not see your boat :)

I think the boat slide farther when you cut the power in the snow than it did in the water

You had to really slow down to get it to turn but it did turn

Was lots of fun and will try it again
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's cool!
    Maybe I would have better luck if I put away the plane and stuck with the boats for the winter rc fix. Thought I lost my SR 120 heli in the snow a couple weeks back.
    At least with all this snow the "landings" are much easier on the airframe.
    I hear you about the hands, think I've done permanent damage this winter, too much time trying to get equipment going in the middle of the night at -30.
    For the first time in 16 years at this house I had to bring a loader home and move the snow piles at the end of my driveway, had no where else to put it.
    Calling for another 10-20 Monday night depending on what weather channel you believe......
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Very cool... Would love to see this in person...
    Revolt 30 60kms/h, Mystic 29 77.1 kms/h, UL 1 Superior
    X blaze - still building
    Impulse 17 - not worth GPS. Lol (rescue boat)