Thread: 14 inch micro hydro

Default 14 inch micro hydro

Hi guys, I wanted to show you the micros we built. A friend and I built two of these. We used the free Doug Forrester Hydro Mite plans that I scaled down to produce a 14 inch long boat instead of 16. I also changed the front sponsons a bit. We had planned to run them in a back yard pond but they are way to fast, even on 2 cell lipos. The boats are very fun to run and the speed surprises everyone who sees them. I got mine to run even better then what you see in the video. That was a winter test run, the first run on 11.1v. My friends boat was a crasher. It had a twist in the hull and flipped every time it became airborne, which never took long. If your looking for a fun to build and run boat, I highly recommend one. We used Mystery brand 3000kv motors and 25 amp speed controls. They are very affordable. .098 flex cables in a brass tube with no liner, hand made hardware and cheap 1300MaH 11.1v LiPos. My best prop was a cut down to 31mm Octura X432. It was very sharp and thin. I also removed the tongues and balanced it. Worked well. Thanks for looking. Here's the vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W-MTwmMaI

Here's mine sitting next to my Micro Scat cat.

The boats look great. Also nice water. Hope we get more rain to fill the pond. You have a picture of the inside of the boats?
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Wow that thing moves! Very nice!

nice job more pictures please of the inside
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Those are neat. Too small for that speed tho.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I would like to know how you did the Cowl
    Billy Graham

Very nice work. Is the mystery motor water cooled? Or an outrunner? Can you give us a source and part number?

Thanks, Allen

Not sure if this the same motor used in this boat but this is the mystery 3000 I used in my micro hydro

Billy Graham

Hi guys, Thank you. The motor Jim posted is the same one. I got it from e bay with the speed control for under 20 bucks shipped for both. Just search 3000kv mystery motor on the bay to find the current best deal. I did take the motor apart and found the outer rotor to be out of balance on my prop balancer, so I balanced it with lead tape inside next to the magnets in tiny strips. It ran remarkably smooth after that. I did not water cool the motor but I did make the mount from a wide piece of aluminum with small fins machined into it for a heat sink. Using a 1300 lipo it would not overheat during a run. The motor, batt, and spd con were all reasonably warm after a run. Jim, the cowl is a piece of pink insulation foam carved into the shape you see. I used small magnets to hold it down. The fake turbine cowl is a piece of lexan covered in aluminum duct tape. For pics of the inside, I will get some of my friends boat soon. I gave mine away to the friend that got me into rc boats almost 30 years ago. He has always been into gas only and out of boats for the last 10 years. Now he has this to run. I plan to build another one soon. Maybe a shovel nose. And I did get the boat to run much better after this with a strut adjustment. No more bounce and maybe a bit faster. I will try to find more video. Thanks for looking. Mike M

Any problems with only using a 25amp esc? Looking at using the same set-up in a mini rigger.

For anyone that is looking to reduce some of the amp draw, you may want to look at Jim's site for one of the props he has for sale. I've used these stainless props a fair amount and they pull a lot less amps than even some of the small Octura counterparts. http://www.minicatracingusa.com/part..._starship.html prop4mm.JPG

It's great to see the micro stuff built and running well. It's even better when they're built around affordable components! Great looking boats guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what you build next!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Wow, that little bugger is cool !
    and runs awesome
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s