Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New p27 gunslinger cracker box

Thank you Grim! This boat is so versatile. Whether cruising slow and not quite on step and turning tight corners, to right at cruising speed with the nose bobbing and on the edge of sloppy. Or best yet WFO and watching the hull jumping off the surface far enough that the entire prop comes out of the water! The hours you put in definitely show. For the performance and FUN factor you get for the relatively low price, you guys should have no problem "hitting the numbers".

Question for you guys. When reinserting the prop shaft into the stuffing tube, do you butt the prop "cone" up against the stuffing tube or leave a little gap?

Becuase this boat does not use a flex drive you can run the drive dog up to the strut.. (just keep a tiny gap)

Have fun!

Grim

Hey Mike -are there plans for an rxr version?

Steve
    Steve Mitchell

Not at this time.. thanks for asking
    Grim

If one side rides a little higher than the other, is that trim tab adjusted further down than the other?

P.S. This boat is a blast!

Part of tuning is just that.. If you have to tweak one one way and one the other. By all means.. do it!

Keep us posted and have fun.

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    Attachment 115259Attachment 115260

made some adjustable trim tabs with some u- channel i had laying around. I made them a little bit wider then the stock set and they are also a bit longer. Hopefully I can get a run in today and see if they do anything for me.
    mike..have you guys been running these??

no we do not. Being 3 cell they don't fit a class not to mention we'd need a calendar to track the speed, fun for little ponds and getting started but might cause some zzz's around the 1/6 oval coarse. Mine is used as a recovery boat for the most part, sometimes I'll let an on looker take it for a spin if they catch me in the right mood.

Well bring it out sunday...lol..I'm a looker

Cool, a friend of mine just ended up with one of these in a trade deal so I'm thinking about picking it up from him just for chits' & kicks. It needs a rudder and a prop, other than that it's in pretty good shape. it certainly isn't the fastest thing on the planet and it was never intended to be so but it still might be fun to play with

I know this thread is old, but I just bought this boat and can't get the damn thing to ride right...nowhere near what I see in videos. I'm using a 3s 2200 placed on the battery tray. All this boat does is porpoise and roll to the right...will not even attempt to ride level at all. I can't find any kind of setups anywhere. I'm going to try placing the battery on the right side of the motor and test. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I just bought this boat and can't get the damn thing to ride right...nowhere near what I see in videos. I'm using a 3s 2200 placed on the battery tray. All this boat does is porpoise and roll to the right...will not even attempt to ride level at all. I can't find any kind of setups anywhere. I'm going to try placing the battery on the right side of the motor and test. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
    Yeah, mine was the same. There is hope, but you'll have to work at it. The volume 8 2015 issue of RC Boat Magazine has an article by Jerry Dunlap on modifications that worked. He reinforced the prop shaft where it exited the hull, replaced the little trim tabs with longer and wider ones made from aluminum, and glued extruded plastic angle strip to the chines to make them square instead of soft. Well, I did not have the ambition to do all this, so I sold it to a club member who did. The results were amazing, so he is very happy, and I am very envious. I suppose, if you could do just one thing, it should be to make larger trim tabs.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Yeah, mine was the same. There is hope, but you'll have to work at it. The volume 8 2015 issue of RC Boat Magazine has an article by Jerry Dunlap on modifications that worked. He reinforced the prop shaft where it exited the hull, replaced the little trim tabs with longer and wider ones made from aluminum, and glued extruded plastic angle strip to the chines to make them square instead of soft. Well, I did not have the ambition to do all this, so I sold it to a club member who did. The results were amazing, so he is very happy, and I am very envious. I suppose, if you could do just one thing, it should be to make larger trim tabs.
    Ahh cool thanks! Yeah, the trim tabs seem very short. I just pulled the stock motor and threw in a 3300Kv...still runs the same except now I can do mid-air barrels rolls with it lol. I may just regulate this boat to recovery duty. I have a Motley Crew boat on the way, so I'll just make a hotrod out of that boat.

Might be a good candidate for a jet drive setup....

JD's a dime a jillion on the bay - also have better quality units with a 2838-4500kv BLM on front.

Food for thought....

Personally, I'd like to see an aftermarket hatch with more realistic drivers similar to the ones on the PB River Jet 23 - my 2C.
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 03-19-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Motors Go on Front of JD's - NOT, The Back

Quote Originally Posted by RCBoaterGuy View Post
    Might be a good candidate for a jet drive setup....

JD's a dime a jillion on the bay - also have better quality units with a 2838-4500kv BLM on back.

Food for thought....

Personally, I'd like to see an aftermarket hatch with more realistic drivers similar to the ones on the PB River Jet 23 - my 2C.
    I like the way you think my friend...have a jet drive on the way. Maybe I can even change the hatch around and make a sprint boat out of it. I put a stinger drive on it over the weekend. Guess the stock prop is strictly for submerged drive considering the performance I got. I'll try the jet drive. It's only $17 shipped from ebay so if it doesn't work out, no biggie.

I like the way you think my friend...have a jet drive on the way. Maybe I can even change the hatch around and make a sprint boat out of it. I put a stinger drive on it over the weekend. Guess the stock prop is strictly for submerged drive considering the performance I got. I'll try the jet drive. It's only $17 shipped from ebay so if it doesn't work out, no biggie.
    I had a Tower Hobbies Power Vee (rebadged AQ Hammer EP) - stuffing tube broke loose while cleaning it after 1st run.

Took the stock motor mount out, was going to use one I picked up from a Chinese boat parts place (non-Bay) but just never got around to doing anything with it - as you can see from the pic, flex-shaft to collet alignment was way off, would had to mount the motor way forward to cure that.

Was this||close to throwing it in the recycle bin (now did) until I saw this vid recently... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myjy2qgitEk - I went NO ST, REALLY, it's that easy --- He also did a twin jet version... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61lHeJBe8c

Plans cancelled, boat went to the recycle bin; Gotta a RioEP for a quick'n'easy brushless project.

I'll come back to JD boats later on.
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 03-28-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Sure thing!

I have a P27 and have considered putting a jet drive in it. I have the mickibeez drive and it needs to go in something but the question has always been what. The cornering concerned me with the P27, will the jet suck the stern down enough to provide traction or will it just slide endlessly through corners?
    Make sure you report back if you end up putting a JD in it.

I have a P27 and have considered putting a jet drive in it. I have the mickibeez drive and it needs to go in something but the question has always been what. The cornering concerned me with the P27, will the jet suck the stern down enough to provide traction or will it just slide endlessly through corners?

Make sure you report back if you end up putting a JD in it.
    Mike,
    Got to thinking bout this post & came up with a couple ideas...

I'm by no means an expert. I've seen the vids on youtube where guys take the NDQ or NQD (whichever it is), convert them to BL & go stream racing - family affair type deal. But most consider them a "toy", so they don't get taken seriously.

But I think recent products like the Thrasher jetboat (tooo much $$ for my blood), and especially the PB River Jet (& now the twin jet) are going to get a lot more people (myself included) interested in this segment of RC boating.
    I like the BL setup of the RJ23, but that twin jet is COOL!! And this nifty add-on will really make it bad a$$ ..http://gonitrohobbies.com/ram46/ - use a 3-chan radio like the TTX-300 to activate it on the fly.

Anyways, I've been checking vids of the P-27 (think some are yours) & yeah, the front end is very light.

For a prop boat my question would be.. why not put the batt in front of the motor to move CG farther forward?? Or put the ESC in front of the motor & run dual 3S packs, one on each side of the motor wired in parallel.

As far as the jet "sucking the stern down" in a JD conversion. Again dual batts, can't speak for you, but I would not go with less than 40C & 40C batts can be heavy.

Logically speaking the radio / servo box & battery tray need to be removed to make room for the JD. So why not put the batts on each side of it - 2x 2S for a 4S configuration or 2x 3S / 2x 4S in parallel, depending on the KV rating of the motor you choose. Then shift them fore & aft till you get the desired CG.

Food for thought...
    Last edited by RCBoaterGuy; 03-24-2017 at 07:28 PM.

I decided to do a strut w/inline rudder on mine.

Bout a month ago P-27's could be had NIB for $139.99 - Omni Models on EBay, think Tower also had them at that price point. Having now learned about it's quirkiness, I'm glad I didn't get one.

The GP-1 is another AQ boat that's really quirky; however, based on what I've read, it's quirks seem to be easier to overcome.

I'd like to see pix of your setup when complete.

My P-27 will be a recovery boat once I get it all back together...a fast recovery boat lol

This setup might be the ticket for you... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ar-servo-mount

I don't know if that's a good deal or not, I'll let you guys work out the details should you decide to get it.

Mike seems like good people, he's been on this forum a long time. I just got a Seaking 120A [V2] ESC from him to have a spare on hand for future boat projects.

Hope that helps, good luck

Attachment 115321Attachment 115322Attachment 115323ok i would like to retract my drivers needing paint as a bad thing. I spent a little bit of time and painted them up. I did it at work so it was a little rushed at times but I'm happy with the way it turned out over all. I ran gps on it yesterday and got a max of 20.1 mph, it was on smooth water but the ride was still off, it was hopping way bad so i feel like there is more speed to be had with the stock power system.

I ran it again today with a 900 mah 3s as far forward as possible ( bow has a bulkhead that stops you from going very far) that was just in there as ballast, I stuck a 3s 4000 mah battery towards the rear of the battery tray and it ran quite a bit flatter, still needs some tuning but it was better. I'm pretty sure I can make use of the tabs I "fabbed" up. I drilled the holes for the adjustment screws a hair large so one of them is stripped already.

Here are some pics, and i'll see if I can get the video from today up.
    Mike, you know... the Cbox is not the first AQ boat severely lacking in detail... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...iser!&p=589504

I would love to get one of those for a BL upgrade (2445 in the 2700Kv~3000Kv range on 2S), but don't have the steady hand (and facilities) needed to produce a quality paint job like yours & his.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBoaterGuy View Post
    This setup might be the ticket for you... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ar-servo-mount

I don't know if that's a good deal or not, I'll let you guys work out the details should you decide to get it.

Mike seems like good people, he's been on this forum a long time. I just got a Seaking 120A [V2] ESC from him to have a spare on hand for future boat projects.

Hope that helps, good luck
    I just got an ebay special for $48 shipped...strut/rudder/flexshaft/prop nut/bushing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123