Thread: This is what i do when i cant run my boat......

Default This is what i do when i cant run my boat......

Well its been cold lately and I decided im not going for a swim should I flip my boat and for some reason my recovery doesnt do the job. I kinds been slacking on it anyway but after last weekend its almost done. Just waiting on a couple more parts. Anyway, I have to have something to keep me occupied and I have a couple rc buggies. I've gotten on this kick of trying to see how fast I can make something go that totally wasn't designed to do it. I picked probably the worst vehicle for going fast but it looks the coolest by far. Its an axial exo terra buggy. I sank more money than I care to think about in this thing. Ridiculous. I took it out today and did some speed runs with it. Beat my goal too. I was shooting for 70mph. Heres some pics.

Sand mode!

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Street mode

And how fast it went today on 3s lipo with a 4000kv 550 reedy motor

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Nice looking machine!
    This is NOT a toy?!?

Very nice. The axles held for all that juice? Impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Very nice. The axles held for all that juice? Impressed.
    Well I never had any axles break. Im still using dog bones. The cv shafts do break and I learned this beforehand so I never bought them. I have stripped the diff gear, spur gear and spider gears tho. Everything has been upgraded to hardened steel parts and some billet suspension pieces where needed. Heres the 72.9mph run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keHG...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well I never had any axles break. Im still using dog bones. The cv shafts do break and I learned this beforehand so I never bought them. I have stripped the diff gear, spur gear and spider gears tho. Everything has been upgraded to hardened steel parts and some billet suspension pieces where needed. Heres the 72.9mph run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keHG...e_gdata_player
    Man, that's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Man, that's impressive!
    Thx! This coming weekend im going for 80mph. I have to change the spur because I've run out of pinion options. I have a 25t pinion in it right now. It still has gobs of torque down low so I know I can go up some more. The problem is the next size is a 32t. I didn't want to jump up that much. I have a 52t spur in it right now, im changing it to a 46t or 48t, can't remember which one I have. Getting old I guess. Lol. Heres a knock around video to shop you the torque it has.

On 2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBs8...e_gdata_player

On 3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsIQ...e_gdata_player

The above videos are with a binding rear diif that I was unaware of. It scrubbed off about 5mph of speed from normal and the motor ran hotter along with shortening my run time. I failed to away the diff cup correctly. You live and learn. Lol

Nice stretch of road you got.
    I like it running on 3s!
    Did you get the RTR?
    I have one of those Hobbywing 1/10 BL motor ( sensorless) , when they just started selling at Xheli, it was like $70 for the ESC and motor. Great motor.

Nice stretch of road you got.
    I like it running on 3s!
    Did you get the RTR?
    I have one of those Hobbywing 1/10 BL motor ( sensorless) , when they just started selling at Xheli, it was like $70 for the ESC and motor. Great motor.
    Actually that stretch of road is short. I have to be careful because sometimes I cant stop it before the curve and it'll go flying. Lol. It is the rtr version. Almost everything has been upgraded or replaced besides the chassis and cage. I have a reedy 550 sl motor. They are about $55 new shipped. Seems to be an awesome little motor. I took it apart and put ceramic bearing in it and it looked pretty well built. Temps stay under 160 even when bashing with a 25t pinion. I heard the hobby wing motors were pretty stout but I ended up buying a 4600kv tenshock 411hd the other day. I haven't tried it out yet. Its a sensored motor and I was told they go pretty good. On a side note, on 2s I gps it at 53.9mph yesterday. Pretty stout on 2s. Lol

I thought I saw HobbyWing motor, my bad. So which motor was used in the video? You get the Reedy at Towerhobbies? I like sensored motors too, I got two of the early Novaks and put one in a Traxxas Stampede and another in an Associated RC10 TC3 RTR. it rips!
    I was eyeing this Exo Buggy but spent the money on another boat, lol...
    What is the stock pinion gear tooth count?

Pretty cool!
    Catching Air!

I thought I saw HobbyWing motor, my bad. So which motor was used in the video? You get the Reedy at Towerhobbies? I like sensored motors too, I got two of the early Novaks and put one in a Traxxas Stampede and another in an Associated RC10 TC3 RTR. it rips!
    I was eyeing this Exo Buggy but spent the money on another boat, lol...
    What is the stock pinion gear tooth count?

Im not sure what pinion. I think its a 14 or 15t. I had the reedy motor in it. I haven't even run the tenshock yet. Heres the motor I have in it

Heres something I did last weekend. I converted a nitro 1/8 buggy to electric. I made the motor mount, battery tray and electronics tray. Pretty easy actually. This thing flat out rips. It has so much torque on tap that the acceleration is instant. I have a 1512 2650kv motor in it with a mamba monster 2 esc. Sound familiar? I stole them out of one of my boats lol. Guess im gonna have to buy extras now because this buggy is too fun.

Mount I made. Notice I didn't want to be limited on pinion size lol

Heres the buggy getting some air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_bY...e_gdata_player

And its first runs up and down the street with a small pinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARnE...e_gdata_player

Looks good, I might have further questions to ask , have a 1/8 buggy sitting on the shelf for the last 7 or 8 years, been thinking doing a conversion.
    Anyway, at work and I have not had the time to go over everything you wrote. Thanks tho!
    Cheers!

Looks good, I might have further questions to ask , have a 1/8 buggy sitting on the shelf for the last 7 or 8 years, been thinking doing a conversion.
    Anyway, at work and I have not had the time to go over everything you wrote. Thanks tho!
    Cheers!
    Mines been sitting for years too. Hated the hassle of nitro. I'd rather drive. Last night I went ahead and stripped my kyosho inferno yo convert it too. Its gonna be for my son. The o'donnell buggy you see above was such a success he wants one too. We've beat on this thing and cant kill it. You know how tough 1/8 buggies are. If you need any help with it let me know. I made my own battery tray out of carbon fiber but I ended up ordering one from a guy on ebay. He makes custom trays out of plastic. $10 shipped and it should hold my lipos better and be safer. I can make you a motor mount if you need one.

I too have a Revo on the shelf. Bought it awhile back for $100. Collecting parts,Kershaw conversion kit,1518 1800kv motor, MMM ESC,RPM arms, and MIP axels and centres. Oh, and 6600mah Dinogy 3s batts. Parts have been there for awhile now, I keep finding boats that have my interest better. LOL

Really got to get to it though, yours looks like sooo much fun

I too have a Revo on the shelf. Bought it awhile back for $100. Collecting parts,Kershaw conversion kit,1518 1800kv motor, MMM ESC,RPM arms, and MIP axels and centres. Oh, and 6600mah Dinogy 3s batts. Parts have been there for awhile now, I keep finding boats that have my interest better. LOL
    Well maybe you could sell me the batteries. Lol. They'd get some use with me! The way I see it is its harder for me to run my boats than my cars. I have to pack everything up and drive 15 minutes away to go run or test them. The bugies.....run right in front of the house anytime I want. Don't think im giving up on my boats tho! Only during cold weather will I not run them.

Yeah I have a 2wd Slash with a 1415 that gets chucked out every now and then for giggles. I have Robinson gears in it 21/54 geared. Goes real fast at the top when I put the air dam on the nose, otherwise it blows over. Amazes me how long 5000mah lasts in it. Good for like a 1/2 hour. Boats??? NOT.

Yeah I have a 2wd Slash with a 1415 that gets chucked out every now and then for giggles. I have Robinson gears in it 21/54 geared. Goes real fast at the top when I put the air dam on the nose, otherwise it blows over. Amazes me how long 5000mah lasts in it. Good for like a 1/2 hour. Boats??? NOT.
    I know! My 1/8 buggy goes over 20 mins ( if not it feels like it!) On a 5000mah pack. I get tires of driving it sometimes and hand it to one of my kids to run the battery down.

I found out the other day at 68mph the exo wants to blow over. I removed the hood and the next pass it picked up 5mph and didn't come up on me. A wheelie a 68mph was a little scary.....but cool looking. Too bad I didn't get it on video!

Mines been on the roof so much that I bought the last body based on roof thickness. It sure slides far on it roof from 60+ mph. Had a few of us that used to meet for night runs at the big mall parking lots. Pretty fun.
    Thinking a 1518 in the Revo should be good too.

Have you had issues with keeping tires together?

I believe mine is an OFNA 1/8 buggy but they called it UltraGTP http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXDPC2, but mine is an older version, like circa 2004-5. I never ran it, the motor is still not fired , I never had luck breaking in any of the nitro motors.
    What do you do with the pinion gear, how do you figure what ratio to run first, I hate mathematical formula and I know there is a formula!

I believe mine is an OFNA 1/8 buggy but they called it UltraGTP http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXDPC2, but mine is an older version, like circa 2004-5. I never ran it, the motor is still not fired , I never had luck breaking in any of the nitro motors.
    What do you do with the pinion gear, how do you figure what ratio to run first, I hate mathematical formula and I know there is a formula!
    You use a mod 1 pinion. That's the pitch. (Module 1) depending on what your wanting to do. For the track I'd start off with a 14-16 tooth and bashing/high speed runs use a 18-20t. I figure most buggies are going to be around the same rations because the clutch bells they offer are interchangeable. Just buy one pinion to begin with. No matter what, that one pinion is gonna let you know which way you need to go.

That's what I did. I bought an 18t just to see. It ended up being perfect for all around running.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    You use a mod 1 pinion. That's the pitch. (Module 1) depending on what your wanting to do. For the track I'd start off with a 14-16 tooth and bashing/high speed runs use a 18-20t. I figure most buggies are going to be around the same rations because the clutch bells they offer are interchangeable. Just buy one pinion to begin with. No matter what, that one pinion is gonna let you know which way you need to go.

That's what I did. I bought an 18t just to see. It ended up being perfect for all around running.
    Thanks!