Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle esc discontinued

Cool

Been using this for several years now for attachment to FETS. Great stuff.
    My personal favorite, pricy but works very well. A lot better than the stuff (?) Castle used to attach their cooling tubes to the ICE controllers. Whatever is used needs to have excellent thermal transfer abilities. Note that this product and most other similar ones will conduct electricity, so beware of the potential of shorts when using it. No problem for attaching cooling tubes if you're not messy.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

After the response I received from Castle regarding the 30% off coupon I received at the MI Cup in 2013, I will never buy another Castle product, be it on sale or not. I'd rather run a SF or modify other esc's for boat use. If it you modify anything from Castle it has the same or less Warranty than Swordfish, Hobby King etc.. basically nothing, so I'm on my own.

Basically I asked: Since all I run are boats and I have this coupon, would you let me apply it to a Phoenix ICE 200 or Lite 200??

I was flatly told no since they were already 1/2 price, soooo...

If anyone wants a Castle 30% off coupon let me know, it's only good on full price products.

Glad I didn't buy a 240 earlier with the coupon. Castle sucks in my book.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I believe no because the coupon says: "This coupon can be used for the purchase of 1 Castle Brand product at castlecreations.com."

Sorry, it also says "Non-transferable".

I did send Christy an email about using it for a NEU motor but, I doubt it will be a yes.... In fact, she just said, no.

I'll use it to scrape up cat hairballs.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks Ray for replying, I deleted my question since I figured just as such.
    Cheers!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
    Too many boats, not enough time...

why were some of you guys using aircraft esc's converted to water-cooling? were the boat esc's not as good as aircraft versions?

People are converting air esc's partly because the guts are the same and they are less expensive since the older Phoenix esc's are on sale (discontinued).
    Nortavlag Bulc

The 30% Castle coupon is barely worth the paper it's written on. At least it was when I was considering getting another Ice 240. You could occasionally find them new on ebay for about $280 but when purchasing from Castle you got 30% off the list price of $399.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    why were some of you guys using aircraft esc's converted to water-cooling? were the boat esc's not as good as aircraft versions?
    Can't speak for others, but I started using the aircraft ESC's when CC dropped all marine products except for the Hydra Ice 240 and the Hydra Ice 200 HV. Couldn't justify using a massive $400 controller for spec racing........

So let us know what esc you are using in what boats please??

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Can't speak for others, but I started using the aircraft ESC's when CC dropped all marine products except for the Hydra Ice 240 and the Hydra Ice 200 HV. Couldn't justify using a massive $400 controller for spec racing........
    Nortavlag Bulc

I started using the aircraft ICE controllers before the marine versions were available. I wanted the logging feature and knew that the new ICE controllers had a better platform than the older Hydras. I started with the ICE 100 in my PLSH with a small computer fan on top of the heatsink. Worked great. Then an ICE 200 in my P-Sport Hydro again with a small fan. Worked great. Tried one in my P-Mono. Worked great. Loved the easy logging, no need for extra sensors and wires everywhere. Later I started water cooling the ICE Lites, much smaller without the heat sinks. Haven't tried the HV versions, I have a couple Schulzes for that.

Been using the Ice or Edge 100's for spec racing, The Edge 130 is probably OK for some open P apps, for any hot setups the Edge 200 works well. I've used the Talon 90 in my spec OPC (low profile... 3/4", plus 25A bec). No experience with the HV's.

So, Jay, & Pat would I be able to run a Whip 40 on 6S2P 8000Mah total through a Phoenix Ice 200 HV? on a 1527 1Y 1250Kv...?

Properly cooled and with some DP270 added, for $150 they look interesting.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray just buy the Swordfish...They are proven. lets face it no one out there is going to warranty boat controllers. We kill them.
    Castle treated us pretty well for a very long time. They lost more money than they ever made on us. They choose to get out of this end off the Hobby it is a business choice. Probably a good one. In 2 years Swordfish is going to be the big dog until they get fed up with us.

"Properly cooled" is the key to making it work!
    Haven't tried it myself.... use your own best judgement on the cooling setup.

Howard: You are right, I really like the newer version of SF240 I have in my 40" mono, runs great and cool.

Pat: Understandable. Jay Turner gave me some good info too, thank you.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Who the heck needs a 200/240 amp controller for spec racing (assuming P-Spec)

You missed Post#71....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Howard: You are right, I really like the newer version of SF240 I have in my 40" mono, runs great and cool.

Pat: Understandable. Jay Turner gave me some good info too, thank you.
    Ray, when you refer to "newer version" are you using the Pro or Pro+ ....Im going to need something that works well with a Neu 1527 in a 6S setup...tks...DJ

Well it's between the first version and the Pro I think, I'd have to try and pull the big mono down to see. I bought it in the swap shop in the early fall. It has rubber encasement. I'm running it with a 1200KV SSS HOR 5684 motor, 6s2p 10kMah.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Cool

Who the heck needs a 200/240 amp controller for spec racing (assuming P-Spec)
    No one. Castle stopped offering a low amp marine controller, so Pat modified an ICE100.

I am intrigued with the idea of using their 1/5 ESC, but they don't say how many amps it is rated at? http://castlecreations.com/products/mamba_xl2.html
    I know Darin suggested the 1/8 scale ( they call it water proof) ESC, but the continous amp rating is not that high. (120A)
    What are the thoughts?
    Thanks

Just added a bunch of converted to water cooling ICE esc's in the for sale section. Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

I'm going to try some Alien ESC. There have been changes to them since Fightercat was selling them. Hopefully the kinks are worked out. Tom and I ordered a half dozen to violate when the water thaws. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If we can't bake them they might be okay.
    Noisy person

Cool

I am intrigued with the idea of using their 1/5 ESC, but they don't say how many amps it is rated at? http://castlecreations.com/products/mamba_xl2.html
    I know Darin suggested the 1/8 scale ( they call it water proof) ESC, but the continous amp rating is not that high. (120A)
    What are the thoughts?
    Since it is designed to go with the 2028 motor it has to be over 100 amps; they say it can "pump out" 10 horsepower, which on 8S is over 200 amps. Actually in size, weight and appearance it looks a lot like the EDGE 200 controller with a fan attached - but it is significantly less expensive. For what it's worth Kershaw Designs lists it at 160 amps continuous.

http://kershawdesigns.com/BrushlessESCs-Castle.htm

My guess is that it is a ~150 amp controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Since it is designed to go with the 2028 motor it has to be over 100 amps; they say it can "pump out" 10 horsepower, which on 8S is over 200 amps. Actually in size, weight and appearance it looks a lot like the EDGE 200 controller with a fan attached - but it is significantly less expensive. For what it's worth Kershaw Designs lists it at 160 amps continuous.

http://kershawdesigns.com/BrushlessESCs-Castle.htm

My guess is that it is a ~150 amp controller.

Thank you very much, I could not calculate that "10hp" into amps!

OK so I just got 2 of the ice lite 200 I have read on how to water cool them does anybody have a pictures of what it looks like after your done just want to make sure I am doing it right and not going to let the smoke out

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Once you strip all the aluminum heat sink junk off the ICE240 there isn't much left. Just a single board with metal bars along the edges and surface-mounted FETs. A real easy method which works okay is to glue aluminum plates on the top and bottom of each side of the board - the plates must touch the FETs and the bars along the sides. Then glue an aluminum tube to each plate. You have to use a thermal-transmitting glue like Loctite 384 adhesive and 7387 activator for the plates. I prefer a high-silver epoxy for the tubes. Then heat shrink the whole thing, the whole controller ends up being much smaller. A machined extrusion works a bit better if you can find one. Just make sure that the left and right sides have NO electrical connection or they will let out the smoke...

Here is a photo of a Castle ICE 200 Lite, which looks identical to the HydraIce without the heat sink junk, and a smaller one opened up to show what I am talking about. The latter would need the gummy stuff removed before attaching cooling plates.

Attachment 111025Attachment 111026 .
    When all else fails floor it

That Castle Mamba XL looks like you could exchange the fan for water cooling tubes fairly easily. Anyone converted one?

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Ray, when you refer to "newer version" are you using the Pro or Pro+ ....Im going to need something that works well with a Neu 1527 in a 6S setup...tks...DJ
    I'm using SF 220 Pro+s on both my Q setups Mono and Hydro, Neu 1527 1250kv on the Mono and Neu 1527 1500kv on the Hydro. So far both have been flawless, and the Data logging feature is nice to have.

Thanks for the input flraptor07. I have not been able to test mine since everything is frozen here until end of March.

Very cool!
    Nortavlag Bulc

It's a Pro, no data logging.

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast