Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle esc discontinued

Where is Andy Kunz when you need him? He could design a decent boat esc, at least he did in brushed form....

So what Castle airplane esc do you recommend for a whip 40 on 6S2P and a 1527 1Y 1250Kv?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Mike, I have a brand news Hv 200. Could you post pictures and give me more details on the suggested cap banks?
    This would be a tremendous help before I start using it.

Thanks, Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images

These are nice: SF200HV
    Nortavlag Bulc

I was wondering about the Swordfish esc's....

Saw this last week
    mgm

Here's an ICE 100 with two halves of an Etti cooling plate (from Steve) added to the upper heat sink. The plates are held to the factory sink with 2-56 screws using thermal compound between. I've done similar conversions with Edge 100's, 130's, 200's and Talon 90's.... a simple setup that may not be as thermally efficient as custom heatsinks but works great.

I can use my Futaba 4PK with these esc's.... no Pistix needed.

Keep in mind that any modifications to CC products will void the warranty.....

Ice1001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    Mike, I have a brand news Hv 200. Could you post pictures and give me more details on the suggested cap banks?
    This would be a tremendous help before I start using it.

Thanks, Allen

Here's one that I bought (for my 240 Ice)....pretty simple to use...just solder black batt lead to one post, red to the other...

You can click on the second pic and see one done..

Here---> http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...002-02&cat=136
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Here's an ICE 100 with two halves of an Etti cooling plate (from Steve) added to the upper heat sink. The plates are held to the factory sink with 2-56 screws using thermal compound between. I've done similar conversions with Edge 100's, 130's, 200's and Talon 90's.... a simple setup that may not be as thermally efficient as custom heatsinks but works great.

I can use my Futaba 4PK with these esc's.... no Pistix needed.

Keep in mind that any modifications to CC products will void the warranty.....

Ice1001.jpg
    Nicely done, very clean looking Patrick. While this is a PIA it's not the end of the world, we'll just need to convert the air ESCs to water cooling. I understand why Castle did this but the reason they gave is a bunch of hoooey. The parts inside basically aren't any different they just added water cooling on the outside. This is a money move and you really can't blame them as I've heard the return rate on the Castle marine ESCs vs. the air versions was well over 20 to 1. The only thing I will say is Castle should have done what Etti does on their marine ESCs- include the extra cap bank and tell people to use them! Sure there are some who can get it done without the extra caps but to Mike Luszcz's point many of the torched Castle's were guys running them without extra caps and guys using added caps are running mostly trouble free. Word from the grapevine was Castle didn't want to add extra caps on the ESCs themselves because the "look" was unappealing. The boats put a far more unstable and erratic load on the ESCs and we need to take the extra steps to deal with it. I'm going to still run mine with extra caps and see how it goes. Sure doesn't seem all that difficult to water cool a Phoenix down the road if the need arises.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

I just wrote Castle a long letter regarding the issue because I have a 30% off coupon I received at the 2013 MI race.

I asked them if I could put it towards an Ice 200 or Ice Lite 200, or better yet, if they put some 240's in the Garage sale that I could use the coupon then since I do not run anything but, RC boats.

We shall see what their response will be.

If I had known they would have jumped ship I wouldn't have picked the coupon rather something else instead. My GF was going to help me pay for a 240 with coupon to go into my Q-sport... Oh well.....
    Nortavlag Bulc

I guess there's an opening for the makers of the T180. To be fair if they can produce an 240-300A esc capable of running 12s and be as reliable as the T180, well why wouldn't you use them, especially as they would be relatively cheap!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

You never know what this spring will hold...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yes, Hobbywing/Turnigy heres your chance...I already sent an email to them ....yall need to the same... DJ

My only beef with the T180/Seakings is that the timing is only adjustable in chunks. You go from 7.5 degrees to 11.5. Makes it tough to hit the sweet spot on a particular setup.
    Noisy person

Alien ESC's look to be pretty nice. They have up to 400amp units and will custom make anything you want.

Those would be re-badged or custom ordered FighterCat/ Flier RC speed controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Alien ESC's look to be pretty nice. They have up to 400amp units and will custom make anything you want.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Was checking out the MGM esc's ...got sticker shock ! 800$ and up

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Those would be re-badged or custom ordered FighterCat/ Flier RC speed controls.
    Yep. They have gigantic caps on them too. Wonder if they ever got a handle on the QC issues.

The problem with anything unknown is that you have to commit a lot of time, effort, and usually dollars only to find out they don't work like you need them too.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
    Was checking out the MGM esc's ...got sticker shock ! 800$ and up
    That is one reason I did not mention them as an alternative...might be nice if you have the fun tickets....
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

MGM compro has great warranty and out of warranty service and first class communication

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    My only beef with the T180/Seakings is that the timing is only adjustable in chunks. You go from 7.5 degrees to 11.5. Makes it tough to hit the sweet spot on a particular setup.
    Hey Terry,

Do you really "fiddle" with the timing your other controllers that much for heat racing? I usually "set it and forget it", but I am still learning everyday on some of this fine adjustment stuff.

Later,
    Ball

My biggest gripe of the T180 is its shape. The darn wires come out the top. BTW I have never successfully used a Castle controller. i looked at them and they Popped. (I have that effect on women too)

I dropped a note to Alien letting them know about Castle. Might be an opportunity for them to step up their game too.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Hey Terry,

Do you really "fiddle" with the timing your other controllers that much for heat racing? I usually "set it and forget it", but I am still learning everyday on some of this fine adjustment stuff.
    No but 7.5 degrees on one of my setups isn't enough and 11.5 will likely be a baked potato. It's that close to the edge.
    Noisy person

Sorry. This made me giggle. Had to share. 24s at 400 amps. 47 horsepower. Practical.

http://www.fliermodel.com/en/prc-show.asp?id=613
    Noisy person

No but 7.5 degrees on one of my setups isn't enough and 11.5 will likely be a baked potato. It's that close to the edge.
    Terry.... There is little you can do with timing that can't be overcome with some targeted prop work. Very little. I rarely ever worry about ESC timing. Set to a safe setting and tweak props from there.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I have a couple of the castle 200a ICE controllers converted for water cooling already done if anyone needs one or more. Just let me know. Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Been using this for several years now for attachment to FETS. Great stuff.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...l_adhesive.htm

I think those were the FC controllers.

Sorry. This made me giggle. Had to share. 24s at 400 amps. 47 horsepower. Practical.

http://www.fliermodel.com/en/prc-show.asp?id=613

Yep, they were...
    Nortavlag Bulc

I'd like to guinea pig one of these. They have good reviews but, I'd need to tear it apart to water proof it and try to add water cooling. If it can push a 1/5scale car around it can push a Whip 40 possibly.... The $110 challenge. Heck, might as well convert a Castle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast