Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how many spartan owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    It was no biggy, only killed one lipo (swelled so I discharged it to 0 and recyled), SK180 and took my RX along with it..... Th RX only works at close range now but oh well.... That's why I have spares! I have also added some foam (pool noodles) to the inside to prevent such buoying again! For future reference I will never run my Spartan on 6s again, it's not built for it! It's almost like trying to hit 75MPH in a kayak...lol!

I just stopped by my LHS today, first time in a while. Me and the owner had a heated argument once and I hadn't been back since. They moved to a nicer location and I just hoped they wouldn't recognize me... There was different people running it so I was all good and got my RPM arms for my Slash!

PowerDemon: Yes another ESC in smoke would sink my boat! lol, on a serious note I am not seeing the Castle Marine ESC line around much anymore, don't get me wrong I would buy it if I could convince my self to sell my Slash 4x4 (6807L) but that ain't happening! You might want to pick one up in a month or two so they don't dispensary off the shelves or virtual shelves... I am thinking I should of just stayed with my original RC idea, The Summit. Which somehow I ended up with a boat first??? Then came the Slash and others! Let's say I am stuck on Traxxas, very stuck on Traxxas.... I hope Seaking will make a STRONGER ESC. This is where Kintec Racing sent me to get mine via RMA...

I also came across this when I was selecting ESC: LINK
    What motor are you running an do you run 4S or 5S?
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
    Would it have the same results with a higher amp ESC such as the Hydra Ice 240?
    A 240 amp ESC would likely handle the CC1515 on 6S without problems.

There are those who have done that setup.

The 240 ICE is expensive, and a little tighter to fit in the component tray, but it has been done.

You'll need to decide for yourself if it is worth it for a plastic boat.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    A 240 amp ESC would likely handle the CC1515 on 6S without problems.

There are those who have done that setup.

The 240 ICE is expensive, and a little tighter to fit in the component tray, but it has been done.

You'll need to decide for yourself if it is worth it for a plastic boat.

Kevin
    LOL its the only boat in its class I can find that can go this fast. If you have any suggestions on a possibly faster boat hull feel free to add.

I am running the SK180 and Leopard 4082 1600kv. I got mine from Kintec but OSE sells them with 6.0mm bullets now, no it's a no brainer where to get it from.... OSE I run nothing but 6s, I might have to change that but then again I like speed, I was looking at the 300 amp ESC from swordfish, still am actually!
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

LOL its the only boat in its class I can find that can go this fast. If you have any suggestions on a possibly faster boat hull feel free to add.
    I got the Spartan for it's size, wish I would of gone bigger so I don't have to worry about the small chop. Look at Kintec's page on Hulls or OSE's custom built http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...92-1730-YELLOW

I just found this thread. I have a Spartan. I did some mods after the stock motor decided to stop working. I ordered a Leopard 4082 - 1600kv. Installed a 200a ESC. I installed adjustable turn fins. I cut the existing fins to attach the universal fins. It was easy and fast. I could not find a kit that did require drilling new holes. Top speed stock was 54.6 mph. I hope to shatter that.

Spartan07.jpgSpartan08.jpgSpartan09.jpg

Hey hears a heads on that cc1515 2200kv,
    That is a 4s to 5s motor max depending on how you under and over prop it on that hull.
    And that is most likely why the Seaking/Turnigy 180a esc is going up in smoke.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Finest Racing View Post
    I just found this thread. I have a Spartan. I did some mods after the stock motor decided to stop working. I ordered a Leopard 4082 - 1600kv. Installed a 200a ESC. I installed adjustable turn fins. I cut the existing fins to attach the universal fins. It was easy and fast. I could not find a kit that did require drilling new holes. Top speed stock was 54.6 mph. I hope to shatter that.

Spartan07.jpgSpartan08.jpgSpartan09.jpg
    Did you have the CC stock motor or the Velineon motor? Also who makes the 200 amp ESC?

Did you have the CC stock motor or the Velineon motor? Also who makes the 200 amp ESC?
    The original motor was the 1,100 red motor. I am now using a Leopard 5692 - 1090KV motor. The 200a ESC is a TurboJet from China. I have used this brand in other models with no problems (knock on wood).

My new SK180 and in today, not sure if I want to sell it and go bigger or just keep it until it blows again... All I have is 3s lipos until SPC gets them in stock!!!! I kind of want to jut run the heck out of the motor and ESC I have until it blows again but don't want to take a hull with it... I think for us to have a RELIABLE ESC we need to put an entire can of Plastidip on and have a +200amp in 5s with a X442 or P215...

I think a bulletproof setup would be the CC 1515 paired with the CC 240 Hydra Ice HV ESC on 5S and if your brave 6S . With a Prather 220. Finest Racing: What speeds do you get with a 1090kv motor??

Here is my Leopard 4082 1600KV with the 200A ESC.
    Spartan11.jpg Spartan10.jpg
    I will find out Monday if the new combo will be a keeper. If you see it in the for sale section then you know. LOL I will also have video. I hope to have a friend video and I will have the GoPro on the head strap.

Be interesting to see how that 200 amp ESC holds up, should be no issues. Would be nice to have another viable option for aftermarket ESC.

Good idea building the plate that mounts using the tray bolts for the ESC.

Kevin

I think a bulletproof setup would be the CC 1515 paired with the CC 240 Hydra Ice HV ESC on 5S and if your brave 6S . With a Prather 220. Finest Racing: What speeds do you get with a 1090kv motor??
    The 1090 in the Atomik? I was at 48mph. I have a new prop (457) to try on Monday. The Spartan will go out Monday to find out if the new combo will work too. Fingers crossed.

Default how many spartan owners here?

Well got my lipo, ESC, motor, and a few other goodies sent off for soldering today! Hope to have my Spartan wet again within two weeks! Has to go all the way to Michigan from Texas and back down... The quality is worth it or else my Spartan would be wet already... Ordered some Cigarette boat decals, hope they fit the sides of my Spartan... Also got a shirt and socks! Yes, socks.... I am addicted to POWER boating!
    Last edited by Spartanator; 04-01-2014 at 09:31 AM.

You shipped it to Michigan for parts to be soldered? Two weeks will feel like two years. I hope to go out this Thursday to test the new combo. Fingers crossed.

You shipped it to Michigan for parts to be soldered? Two weeks will feel like two years. I hope to go out this Thursday to test the new combo. Fingers crossed.
    Yep, sounds silly but me and the LHS don't have a good relationship... Last time I tried to get 10G wire soldered on to my Spartan ESC (Castle) and they said that they could be held liable if something were to go wrong?!?! Sure I'm going to file a lawsuit over some wiring on a rc boat! Lol! Besides I would trust the person I use more than the LHS. I could learn how to solder but the parents don't like me "melting" wires together. I may try that LHS again, I think it's under new management...

I got my stuff soldered and back in, just awaiting the extra tabs and adjusters...... I also installed some of the hardware, pic should be posted!

Looking good. Almost ready to have fun.

Looking good. Almost ready to have fun.
    Thanks, the tabs should be here today! Hopefully OSE will ship my order today-- trim tab adjusters, CorosionX, 2 bulkhead fittings, and I think some 1/4 cooling line.
    I also got my pump in, I am debating if I just want to use it for flushing the lines or have it remotely operated via 3rd channel. For test running it ran like the Spartan was at wot (water output wise) I was using an old Ni-Mh that was either 9.6 or 8.4V. Maybe I will have my Michigan buddy set it up! Selling the Slash today but that means more toys for the boat! I have my old hull cleaned up for the most part...

PUMP LINK
    PUMP LINK 2

Tabs are installed and everything else except Water outlet (c'mon OSE)

Last edited by Spartanator; 04-07-2014 at 07:28 PM.

I made a boat stand that can be stacked.
    Boat Stand.jpg

That's cool Finest Racing, I thought about but then I only use one hull. Well only use one for now! lol I went ahead and did some programming on the ESC. It is completely ready for the dual outlet and and two bulkhead fittings. I also plugged up the old cooling line hole since the rudder blocked half of it.... I am also waiting on SPC for lipos to come in stock so I can get some more. I need a Cigarette decal (boat brand for those of you that don't know) for the sides, I did order one the other day in the smallest size from them but still didn't fit on the sides I think I am either going to sell the old hull or just re-recreate a stock one that is only allowed on 4s, I have SO MANY spare parts.... Just need the tronics...

Good day and a bad day... Well my Spartan works, well worked... I was running and rather well until the disaster happened... Brand new Prather 220 (sharp and balanced) just fell off with the whole OSE shaft. Not sire what caused it but I am sure it was my fault. Oh well, back to stock driveline until OSE gets wire drives in stock.. Not really a disaster but you get the point...
    Pictures on the way

Default how many spartan owners here?

5 successful runs, I have not had a chance to run WOT, yet!
    SPC 60C lipos are 17f cooler than Traxxas 2872's!
    Also flipped today but luckily a neighbor was taking his boat out!

Mine is dead again ... Stupid ESC!

Your Seaking died?
    Kevin

I'm not 100% sure but 95.2% sure it is... I will try again today, but I doubt it. Maybe the internal bec is dead...? It just flashes red and randomly initializes the motor and just blanks out again. The servo responds but no throttle input is received... I think it got wet

UPDATE: It just is a solid red now....
    Last edited by Spartanator; 04-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Did you waterproof it before running?

I spray mine with plasti dip (liquid tape) to give it extra water proofing. They are sold as water resistant, not water proof. I suspect you already know that.

Put it in a bag of rice for a couple days to dry it out. If it is wet you risk damage every time you power it up.

Kevin

Yep, sure did. They may be sold by OSE as water resistant but the people where I send the return to counts it as waterPROOF..... lol, not no much http://www.falconsekido.com/products...0a-version-2-0 If you have a dead one from Kintec Racing (where my originally came from) this is where they send you.

It has been in rice all morning, I am sure I already damaged it further so I will just box it and send it off....

I went out with the Spartan Sunday. A whole lot of chime walking. I was fine tuning and then it stopped. Turns out the prop came off. I ordered an upgrade for the shaft.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast