Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many spartan owners here?

Default how many spartan owners here?

cmon fess up lol. I have 2.. As much trash talked on them i still love em

There are lots of Spartan owners out there. I'm on my 3rd. Loving every minute of them. Always trying different motors, ESC's, and props. Keep the faith. Lots of fun. Al.

Here, I have a brushless mini rio (out of control) and a Spartan. My Spartan filled with water the first 1/2 dozen times out, which really peaved me, but new water jacket and good as gold, now im melting electrical connections each time out, but all plugs now bullets.

Spartan owner here, I pieced mine together, its got the white hull, with the red canopy, I took a proboat stiletto 1800kv motor and a seaking180A esc, and 6mm bullet connectors between the motor and esc, and traxxas plugs to the batteries. Adjustable trim tabs, an auto bailer (for any unwanted water intrusion), and a splash fin. Running twin 7.4v 25C 5000mAh Lipo batteries, an Octura X440/3 brass prop, runtimes are roughly 20 minutes.

Pieced together Spartan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wheres the auto bailer? And does it work good?

I installed it just above the prop shaft/ strut. You can see it in picture 2. Yes, it works well.

I am Spartan owner! Not stock after the sparking fire show.... I now run stock lipos, SK180/4082-1600kv, 5" rudder, splash gaurd,an soon to get the drive system from OSE!
    I use EC5 connectors...

Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I am Spartan owner! Not stock after the sparking fire show.... I now run stock lipos, SK180/4082-1600kv, 5" rudder, splash gaurd,an soon to get the drive system from OSE!
    I use EC5 connectors...

Glad you made the transition to ose! The traxxas forum is lame and bias lol. How has your spartan been?

Love mine gonna get it back in the water soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shartinspartin View Post
    Glad you made the transition to ose! The traxxas forum is lame and bias lol. How has your spartan been?
    I am glad too! I am starting to not like TRX very much but it is their forum (not that I think they should act like that). Well since I have been banned I have been busy with mine! I was having some awesome runs (about 12) and then my SK180 blew in smoke. It has been exchanged free of charge by the company, hope to have it by the end of this week! After I get it I will have to send it off to Jimmie Neutron (TRX Forums) for soldering, I think I may have this pump setup for a third channel operation by Jimmie or I will just use it for cleaning the lines when finished running. My Spartan is going to get another overhaul, red hull this time... I already put an OSE tow hook one the front for easy retrieval, next is the Kintec rudder, backsplash guard, and OSE strut install. I also have a Prather 220, gotta get my new SPC packs once they are back in stock! I will post pics when done, Thanks for saying hi!
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-19-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: need to learn to spelllllll

Got two, modified, never ran the stock electrics.
    Fun boats, but seem to fix on them a whole lot more than the SV27's
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Got two, modified, never ran the stock electrics.
    Fun boats, but seem to fix on them a whole lot more than the SV27's
    Kevin
    Are you orca on the TRX forums? Just seems that both of you had/have the same idea. I will never use stock tronics again besides the servo and TX/RX...

Ima run the stock system until it blows

Quote Originally Posted by shartinspartin View Post
    Ima run the stock system until it blows
    Do you runs on 6s? I wish I would of stayed stock and ran 4s.....

i run 4s and 6s.... 4s gets boring....

Are you orca on the TRX forums? Just seems that both of you had/have the same idea. I will never use stock tronics again besides the servo and TX/RX...
    No, I'm hog on TRX
    Kevin

Another Spartan owner here and loving it! If my stock system blows I'm looking at a CC 1515 and CC Hydra Ice 240 HV.
    37" Fightercat Shocker powered by Neu 1530 on 10S

shartinspartan: I don't think I will go over 6s again, well at least until I can buy a Higher Power ESC and motor....

No, I'm hog on TRX
    Kevin
    Sorry dag-nabit. I knew it was one of you knowledgeable Spartan users! I am the guy who asked for the wiring setup on your SV-27 and posted up on TRX....

PowerDemon: That sounds like an excellent plan, I SHOULD have done that in the first place!

I just finished drilling hols today, sounds scary but all worked out well. QUAD trim tabs (stock but 4 now), Kintec 5", and OSE backsplash gaurd! Next to come is the dual outlet and replacement ESC and I will be ready! Too bad my ESC won't be here before the boat show, (may not go, but then again the MG Top Gun Cig will be there!)
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-20-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Ah yes, I remember.
    And Orca runs the same setup as I do in one of my Spartans, so easy to cross up between Spartan owners.
    Kevin

I am glad too! I am starting to not like TRX very much but it is their forum (not that I think they should act like that). Well since I have been banned I have been busy with mine! I was having some awesome runs (about 12) and then my SK180 blew in smoke. It has been exchanged free of charge by the company, hope to have it by the end of this week! After I get it I will have to send it off to Jimmie Neutron (TRX Forums) for soldering, I think I may have this pump setup for a third channel operation by Jimmie or I will just use it for cleaning the lines when finished running. My Spartan is going to get another overhaul, red hull this time... I already put an OSE tow hook one the front for easy retrieval, next is the Kintec rudder, backsplash guard, and OSE strut install. I also have a Prather 220, gotta get my new SPC packs once they are back in stock! I will post pics when done, Thanks for saying hi!
    Do you know why your SK180 blew? I am looking to get one for a future boat build. This has swayed my interest in this ESC . Was there any particular reason that this ESC failed and how was their costumer support?

I blew two SK180 ESC's (Turnigy's actually, but same thing)

One smoked about 3 seconds after I punched the throttle on the first time out.
    The other I blew by pushing it too hard running a Leopard 4074 2000kv motor with a P215 prop on 6S. It was snarly fast for about three runs, then it flamed. Took out a set of Maxamp 6500 batteries with it, and smoked the inside of the hull so bad I replaced it because of the smell. (wasn't melted or warped or anything of that sort, just smelled really bad)

On the other hand, my other Spartan, that my daughter runs, is set up with a T180, Leopard 4082 1600kv running a P220 prop on 6S has three seasons on it, going into the 4th this summer. No issues what so ever.

The Spartan I rebuilt after frying the ESC was setup with a T180, Castle CC1515 (2200kv) with an X442 prop running 4S and 5S only. It has two seasons on it, going into its third this summer with no issues.

So don't let the SK or T180 ESC worry you, it is a solid ESC with many Spartan owners running them problem free for many runs.

Any electronic component can/could fail due to a factory defect, and If you set your boat up to where you are pushing the electronics past their limits, they can/will fail.

If you run a sensible setup, the chances are the T180 will be very reliable.

As Spartanator has indicated SK appears to stand behind their product, and in my case Turnigy replaced both ESC's without hassle.

You do have to send them in for evaluation, at your cost for postage, but if they blow under normal use, within the warranty period, I'm pretty confident they will replace them.

Kevin

Note: the SK/Turnigy 180 ESC's are water resistant, not water proof, so it is advisable to waterproof them by spraying with liquid tape, plasti dip, or similar product.

The ESC meltdown was posted here, about 3/4 down the second page. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...lly+got+to+run
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 03-21-2014 at 07:38 PM.

I have one I am modifying and another hull with minor damage I am going to rebuild to basically stock specs with all my leftover parts from my modded spartan and some parts from my blast.

I blew two SK180 ESC's (Turnigy's actually, but same thing)

One smoked about 3 seconds after I punched the throttle on the first time out.
    The other I blew by pushing it too hard running a Leopard 4074 2000kv motor with a P215 prop on 6S. It was snarly fast for about three runs, then it flamed. Took out a set of Maxamp 6500 batteries with it, and smoked the inside of the hull so bad I replaced it because of the smell. (wasn't melted or warped or anything of that sort, just smelled really bad)

On the other hand, my other Spartan, that my daughter runs, is set up with a T180, Leopard 4082 1600kv running a P220 prop on 6S has three seasons on it, going into the 4th this summer. No issues what so ever.

The Spartan I rebuilt after frying the ESC was setup with a T180, Castle CC1515 (2200kv) with an X442 prop running 4S and 5S only. It has two seasons on it, going into its third this summer with no issues.

So don't let the SK or T180 ESC worry you, it is a solid ESC with many Spartan owners running them problem free for many runs.

Any electronic component can/could fail due to a factory defect, and If you set your boat up to where you are pushing the electronics past their limits, they can/will fail.

If you run a sensible setup, the chances are the T180 will be very reliable.

As Spartanator has indicated SK appears to stand behind their product, and in my case Turnigy replaced both ESC's without hassle.

You do have to send them in for evaluation, at your cost for postage, but if they blow under normal use, within the warranty period, I'm pretty confident they will replace them.

Kevin

Note: the SK/Turnigy 180 ESC's are water resistant, not water proof, so it is advisable to waterproof them by spraying with liquid tape, plasti dip, or similar product.

The ESC meltdown was posted here, about 3/4 down the second page. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...lly+got+to+run
    Thanks for the explanation. Really appreciate it. Is there any particular reason that you don't run that setup on 6S? There is a guy on youtube who has supposedly run his Spartan with the CC1515 and a SK180 on 6S with no problems. Is 4-5S only a precaution or is it really necessary if you want a reliable setup?

Yes, more or less a precaution to ensure reliability.

The CC1515 is a 2200kv motor and based on my experience with the Leopard 2000kv motor, I now run only 4 and 5S with the X442 prop (essentially the metal equivalent to the stock prop)

Everyone's experience can be different, depending on your overall setup, driving style, etc.

In the early days of the Spartan there was a fellow from Australia that ran the SK180, CC1515 combination on 6S. He was tickled pink, posting videos on the forum of his Spartan screaming across the pond like a banshee, for about 5-6 runs before it flamed on him. (I don't recall what he was running for a prop)

So You Tube shows it can be done, but without follow up, it it hard to say how reliable the setup is in the long term.

Sticking to 4 and 5S has resulted in two trouble free seasons, going into a third, for my Spartan.

Kevin

I suspect that my ESC failed because a flip and buoy... To the picture below, even know it dried for 2 or 3 days in the sun....

Yes, more or less a precaution to ensure reliability.

The CC1515 is a 2200kv motor and based on my experience with the Leopard 2000kv motor, I now run only 4 and 5S with the X442 prop (essentially the metal equivalent to the stock prop)

Everyone's experience can be different, depending on your overall setup, driving style, etc.

In the early days of the Spartan there was a fellow from Australia that ran the SK180, CC1515 combination on 6S. He was tickled pink, posting videos on the forum of his Spartan screaming across the pond like a banshee, for about 5-6 runs before it flamed on him. (I don't recall what he was running for a prop)

So You Tube shows it can be done, but without follow up, it it hard to say how reliable the setup is in the long term.

Sticking to 4 and 5S has resulted in two trouble free seasons, going into a third, for my Spartan.

Kevin
    Would it have the same results with a higher amp ESC such as the Hydra Ice 240?

Spartanator: That would SUCK if you blew another ESC. Have you tested to see if it was truly burnt out yet?

I suspect that my ESC failed because a flip and buoy... To the picture below, even know it dried for 2 or 3 days in the sun....
    Fml.....I would be so upset....

It was no biggy, only killed one lipo (swelled so I discharged it to 0 and recyled), SK180 and took my RX along with it..... Th RX only works at close range now but oh well.... That's why I have spares! I have also added some foam (pool noodles) to the inside to prevent such buoying again! For future reference I will never run my Spartan on 6s again, it's not built for it! It's almost like trying to hit 75MPH in a kayak...lol!

I just stopped by my LHS today, first time in a while. Me and the owner had a heated argument once and I hadn't been back since. They moved to a nicer location and I just hoped they wouldn't recognize me... There was different people running it so I was all good and got my RPM arms for my Slash!

PowerDemon: Yes another ESC in smoke would sink my boat! lol, on a serious note I am not seeing the Castle Marine ESC line around much anymore, don't get me wrong I would buy it if I could convince my self to sell my Slash 4x4 (6807L) but that ain't happening! You might want to pick one up in a month or two so they don't disappear off the shelves or virtual shelves... I am thinking I should of just stayed with my original RC idea, The Summit. Which somehow I ended up with a boat first??? Then came the Slash and others! Let's say I am stuck on Traxxas, very stuck on Traxxas.... I hope Seaking will make a STRONGER ESC. This is where Kintec Racing sent me to get mine via RMA...

I also came across this when I was selecting ESC: LINK
    Last edited by Spartanator; 03-24-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add product!

Won't harp on it I. Here cuz it's not the thread for it but I love my slash too... Get the rpm arms all around and aluminum towers... I have one with regular chassis and sold my other with stadium chassis I believe to a buddy of mine... Bulletproof damn near.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast