Thread: UL-1 motor upgrade

Default UL-1 motor upgrade

Im looking to upgrade the stock motor and ESC in my UL-1. Ive read in threads on here that these hulls can only take so much motor. I do not race my boats I run them just for fun. I was considering a Leopard 4074-2200kv as per some ones suggestion.Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated or if you have a ESC & motor combo for sale lmk. Thx in advance Jeff

Just a heads up if you are planning on more then fifty with the ul-1 sand the heck out of the bottom of the sponsons to change the aoa(angle of attack to the water).

Hi,
    I'd be surprised if the boat could handle much more than the stock UL1 motor, but if you want to give it a try that's the motor I would pick.

Be sure to check out Darin's UL1 prep thread if you have not seen it

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-UL1-Race-Prep

Chief

Awesome thread..... Thx Chief

Tried a 1512(40x68) and c120 and just submarined due to the added weight so probably wouldn't try it but that's just my experience

anything over 50-52mph the boat just doesn't do well. you may get it to go faster, but really, the control is pretty much out and you're hoping it stays on the water.

i think i had put a 2300 kv in mine, and hit 54, but i was by no means, in complete control.

be nice if, when i respond again within a dew minutes, and nobody has responded, it would automatically add my response to my previous response

Attachment 110578Attachment 110575Attachment 110576Attachment 110577Attachment 110574I found a nice leopard 4704-2150kv with a jacket both brand new on RC Groups for only $50. So I bought it today and will be here in a week. Can I use this motor with stock ESC or will I need to upgrade my ESC for the Leopard? Ill run it stock how I got it from Titzwhip today in mail. Made a few changes put water pickup tube in back and upgraded flex shaft and collet. Put some nice braided tubing from KBB. Running on 2S 45C-90C 5000mah and a balanced and sharpened Aquacraft L40 x 57 3 blade prop. Hoping to get about 50mph with this setup. We will see

I went nuts and put a 7xl fiego two pole. Wish I had video to back this up. But after all the work I did on the ride pads it broke 60 and as long as I didn't try to hold the throttle wide open in the corners it handled really well! That is until the rpm of that two pole I was making do ovals popped every single cap on my t180. Believe me or not it up to you. That being said modifying the ride pads is an absolute must. On the submarining note. Mine completely submarines on launch before surfacing and plaining out.

Aq60 is not going to do a 4074 leopard . Blownover I was never really happy with any of the ul1 I had just going to stick to the cats and vees

This is my only boat so I can spend a little ! So does someone know if I can use this stock 60amp ESC with that Leopard 4074-2150kv ? Or will I need to upgrade? Also all my batteries are 2S, will I need to go up to like 4S for that motor? Thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Alexgar View Post
    Aq60 is not going to do a 4074 leopard . Blownover I was never really happy with any of the ul1 I had just going to stick to the cats and vees
    Very understandable! I love my cats. But I do find I also love to tweek and mod boats that have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlov View Post
    This is my only boat so I can spend a little ! So does someone know if I can use this stock 60amp ESC with that Leopard 4074-2150kv ? Or will I need to upgrade? Also all my batteries are 2S, will I need to go up to like 4S for that motor? Thx in advance
    I have used the AQ60 and SK60 on Leo's 4074. It work but you have to monitor temps and props, from what I have read these motors are capable of drawing over 100amps.

4s on the UL-1 is tricky, I have not found a pair of 4s that will fit unless they are 3000mah or less. I was able to fit 1 4000, right behind the motor. It was more stable with the pair of 2s.

I put a pair of 4s 4400mah in mine. It turned into a plow.

Ul1 hits 50 on stock motor with l40/57

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run against a couple UL-1s, the hull design not the motor is the limiting factor. More speed would just make it worse. With a UL-1 motor and esc in my hydro I can just hold it wide open and go, the UL-1s get that sponson dance going and they have to let off or blow over.
    To be honest it's not even a fair race unless I make mistakes.
    Chances are it will be even more unfair this season when my new Whiplash 20 hits the water with UL-1 power. Waiting for my new motor to arrive.
    If you decide to go ahead with this give me a PM if you want to sell you current motor and esc. If the price is right I might be interested.
    My buddy has a GP335 he is running a 4074 2200kv in, I don't know if I could keep up with him for a whole run with the Whiplash even if I put the same motor as him in it. Bigger boat = more stable, especially after a couple minutes running with all the wakes.
    Don't take this the wrong way as I have 3 Aquacraft boats, but in the grand scheme of RC these ARE cheap boats designed to a price point to run well and reliably on the stock setup. I just about destroyed my Motley Crew trying to run a big Castle in it, was darn fast but couldn't take the blow overs at that speed. I gave up and put a stock setup back in it before it fell apart. The UL-1 hull isn't any thicker a lay up, won't take long before the stress cracks start.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Yes I will Siberian. Ive bought the motor but its coming from Europe so will be about 10 days to get here. Im going to upgrade ESC to a Castle 180 or Turnigy 180 while I wait for motor to come. Once I get them I will be looking to sell the stock motor and ESC. I will let you know! Thx Jeff

And Shovelnose based on your post I can run this new Leopard 4074 on 2S? I thought I read that the motor needs 3S and up lipos? Thx Jeff

Once again yes Siberian the hull starts the walk of death at high speed but once modefied that problem is fixable(to an extent). Comparing it to a whip or even an fe30 is just unfair. As far as packs I run two 4s 3200mah packs. As said before it will completely submarine on initial launch then it catapults out of the water and plains very quickly. To answer your questions I wouldn't run any 40mm can on anything less then a 120amp esc. As far as packs if the 2s are high enough c rated it's ok but it would be safer on 4s2p.

where will a t180 fit under that cowl?

a leo 3674 2200kv and t120 would have done the trick. the 40mm can isn't gaining you any speed, just more power consumption, and a larger esc needed. oh well….

I can understand the disbelief. It was a real pain to make work. But here's a pick before the caps went poof and deformed the cowl a little over them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yea Heaving I hear ya. But I got that motor brand new with jacket for $50 and just got on here today a brand new Swordfish 200 with program card for $75. So Ill have only $125 in the whole setup. Im not racing just running this in the canal behind my house. Which reminds me to ask is there anything I should do differently since Im running in saltwater? I use corrosion X and lube shaft after every run. Thx Jeff

I see...got another UL-1...
    Last edited by olwarbirds; 01-16-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: not worth the headache
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat

saltwater = corrosion
    Last edited by olwarbirds; 01-16-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: another headache avoided
    Tunnels-PS295. Cats-H&M M1 Supercat Daytona rivercat. Monos-DF Cyberstorm HiTech 29. Hydros- Ms K Vac-U-Pickle Custom built 37" shovel 10th scale converted to FE Shadow. Rigger-H&M Evo II. AQ Harbortug recovery boat. Build in progress 37" cf Dragboat