Thread: My Smash Shark built up for 4S racing!!!!!!!

Default My Smash Shark built up for 4S racing!!!!!!!

Hi all,

I wanted a boat to race in our 4S class at Lakeside here in OZ. The logical choice would have been the Pursuit boat or a racing hull but I wanted scale race looks and something similar to my Outer Limits without a stepped hull.

So the Smash Shark was purchased by my wife for my x'mas present. I reinforced the hull with carbon rod that is epoxied in on the motor mount and battery tray as well on the sides of the hull to cope with the choppy water at Lakeside. An alloy quick change steering mount has been grafted in with a waterproof Traxxas steering servo and a T180 esc got the job of supplying power to the upgraded Leopard 4074 2200kv motor. A Safety loop was installed for racing at the same time.

Prop so far has been a trusty 440 that has been sharpened & balanced by Paul.. First problem I uncounted was the smallish rudder. Paul was quick to point out that a bigger rudder is a must so a new rudder was purchased with stronger mounting points to the transom and a kick up set up. This helped enormously, especially once the new power plant was installed. The Smash Shark came with square turn fins but no trim tabs. A set of adj tabs are in the post as well as rounded turn fins to see if these are needed or not. At full speed the hull does get the death roll up a little and Lakeside has longer straights so this will have to be resolved. A new one piece welded flex shaft and Octura coupling is the post from OSE for racing but not necessary for sporting as the standard 2 piece shaft is fine.

So in all this hull is very nice to drive so far in testing. Still some testing to go but all is going to plan so far. I wish to thank Paul (785 Boats) for all his expert advice and tips & is very much appreciated as I would be lost otherwise.

Sorry for the blured pic's. Just noticed them Doh....

What a clean nice setup. The chine walk can be fixed by raising the strut a few mm to settle the hull down into the water a bit. I can't see how you mounted the stuffing tube, this may be easy, or more difficult if you have to move the tube in the transom. But it will fix the chine walk, whihc is caused by the hull trying to 'balance' on the sharp keel.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

That has turned out really nice. I like the theme.

Thanks Fluid & Srislash.

Yeah it's nice to see different hull in action but it's a risk with RTR hulls

We have played with the strut a little but ended back to the original settings but it's going a fair bit faster now too so we will look into that again.

Thank you for tip much appreciated

Cheers
    M/R
    Last edited by Mad Racer; 01-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.