Thread: epoxy fiber glass hull finishing putty

Default epoxy fiber glass hull finishing putty

I am hoping someone might know of a light sandable filler that is compatible with epoxy fiberglass resin. looking for something light to get the smaller imperfections out of the hull. I am using gflex with different fillers at the moment. does anyone know of a glazing putty that works really well? Thanks

I thought that body glazing putty (like bondo) would work fine.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Go to paint store and get a tube of Iceing glaze. If you have pin holes or bubbles to fill that works and sands easy. Common wallboard glazing works too glaze, sand, spray prime coat, glaze sand agian if needed, prime and paint

Gflex retains some flex so I wouldn't use it as the epoxy. The laminating epoxy you use would be OK to use.

Don't use micrballons as a filler since it porous.

I'm thinking that talc would be best but give Composites Canada a call and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I thought that body glazing putty (like bondo) would work fine.
    +1 i agree

I thought bonds would work to. All there stuff is polyester or vinylester based (can't remember which one) and both of those type products are no good to use on epoxy resin stuff. If I could use it I would be a very happy guy as I could refinish 100's of boats with what . Have here. I will try the icing glaze out and see how that works. I thought it was going to be a simple question but most product descriptions out there are very vague on use with epoxy resin. I will have to get on the phone tomorrow and get some answers. thanks for the help guys.

Check out the West Systems web page, they have a number of different fillers you can mix with epoxy resin. One should work for you.
    http://www.westsystem.com/ss/fillers/
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I use blade putty for small scratches, cracks, chips, blue printing, etc. No mixing required. If 'Septone' is not a brand available over there, I'm sure there are other brands that are exactly the same. Should be available at any auto parts store. Works fine on all types of resin, wood, steel, alumimium, plastic, etc.
    http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp...639&page_num=2

I will look a little deeper at the west systems stuff. I was hoping to get away from using anything epoxy resin based as the spot pattie. For automotive use are so easy to use, dry fast and sand out last like a dream. 785 boats, what you are using sounds exactly what I am looking for. I will if I can find it here. Everything . Have seen/used has always been a 2 part filler. thanks again guys for the great info, off to search I go!

As Phil T has already suggested, regular old drywall mud/puddy. Rub it on with your fingers and let dry, sand, prime, wet sand, prime again (if necessary), and paint. Did wonders on my fiberglass PT hulls...

Later,
    Mike

I did exactly as Mike and Phil T suggested with the drywall spackle. Put it on your finger and smear it on. Turned out great, and BLACK doesn't hide much! Good Luck!!
    Attached Images Attached Images