Thread: Powerplant Question

Default Powerplant Question

Question*

I just purchased a 36" Catamaran (fiberglass) that will be working from ground up. This is my first time doing this, I have had drift cars, expensive rc airplanes but never really paid attention to what moves it. With this boat I'm doing it different, I'm not buying a RTR boat, I'm building it up. Just now I learned there were brushed, brushless, sensor, motors so understand that I'm trying to learn as quick as I can.

I need help putting the right electronics and power plant in this boat. I will be a twin prop and a budget is not a big of a deal as this will be a long term project. I need recommendations for a vary fast motor, esc, battery, etc. although I don't have a budget if there is an esc that goes for $80 that does the same job as the $250 I'm most likely to purchased the $80. I also plan on pay for a custom paint job and wrap a few logos and designs.

Please, help me as much as you can, any knowledge and positive tips are accepted.

I saw your post on Jim's but wanted to wait until you posted here as suggested. Before we can help you we need to know the specifics of your hull (exact name and maker) and your expectations for the final product - exact speeds, expected run time, your type of running (oval racing, sport running, SAW running). There are so many different ways to go with a hull this size we need more info to help you get the most enjoyment from your build. A photo may help if this is not a well-known hull.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I purchased the R2Hobbies 36 catamaran. http://www.r2hobbies.com/36-rc-ep-si...-boat-arr.html I'm still waiting for it so I have no pictures. I want to run it fast, aiming to start no slower than 60mph if capable and work my way to even faster. Run time I want what's normal yet efficient. As of racing, oval to start.

Like I said. I'm new to starting from zero, I always purchased the expensive rtr boys that I will fly twice and break them and not care for again, now I'm at that age I want to make sense of things and see how things work so I am 85% ignorant about how all of this work.

Im thinking about buying the same hull, so would like to hear some impute as well.

for this size cat with single drive I would suggest a Neu 1527 ,Castle 240 Ice and Dynogy's packs 5.0A 6S 65C......my Sprint cat is very happy with this combo.Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Unless the OP is completely wedded to the idea of a twin, I'm with Gil in recommending a single motor, especially for a first build. Better reliability for oval and IME better turning. The Neu 1527/1Y (Kv=1250) is the classic 6S cat/mono power and simply works very well. I've used an almost identical setup in my SprintCat 60/80 and it runs awesome. But the OP's hull is narrower and may benefit from a higher Kv/smaller prop; a Kv around 1500-1600 might work better for speeds above 60 mph. A more "budget" motor would be a TP or Leopard 40x92mm motor or a Castle 1717 (better than the TP or Leo). Use 3/16" cable and remember that all the power in an FE boat is in the packs. Cheaper packs = lower power at high amp draws.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thank you all...

Now, i see 3600kv motors out there for $70 and then some 1600kv for $250. Like Fluid said "that all the power in an FE boat is in the packs. Cheaper packs = lower power at high amp draws." But is there something i should be looking at beside kv?