Thread: (Newb questions)- can the Factory 1800kv motor handle 6s by using a upgraded 180esc?

Default can the Factory 1800kv motor handle 6s by using a upgraded 180esc?

Hi all, new to the FE boat thing (I've been into the real 1:1 performance boats). I picked up a impulse 31 2 years ago, I've done all the tuning I can on the boat to get the most out of the factory setup with 2 gen-ace 2s1p 5300mah 30c batteries connected to factory wiring. Boat has a balanced and sharpened prop also.

My question is can I upgrade the factory esc with say a sea king 180 and run the factory motor on 2-3cells for 6s power.? I would like to hit 50mph if possible. I realize I will have to buy new batteres for the 6s power, I'm just wondering if it makes sense to go this route?
    or would my money be best spent on a new leopard 4074 2200kv and a new esc, And run the batteries I have.? What prop would be best suited?

I feel overwhelmed with all the options, any help would be appreciated!

I also plan on buying a PB blackjack 29 soon and would like to use the batteries/props between the boats but if I can't, I don't mind saving up and buying new batteries for the blackjack. I want the most out of both boats.
    Last edited by kfelgnar; 01-08-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Hi,
    I have setup guide for this boat (and also the blackjack), that covers required upgrades if you want to run 6S reliably. Shoot me an email at jqhydro@gmail.com and I can mail them over (files are Word docs with some large pictures). The guide also has a bunch of tips on setup/maintenance, prop selection, sharpening/balancing props, etc.

Bottom line, if you want to run 6S I would highly recommend the 180A esc for headroom and also upgrade your battery connectors. I think the RPMs are pushing it with 1800kv and a better 6S motor would be the Miss Geico 1500kv. But it can be done provided you have a really balanced prop and driveline is running vibe free.

The other upgrade path is 2200kv motor on 4S. But the stock motors on these boats are really nice so I would hate to replace them... maybe wait until your stock one dies (which could be a long long time however...)

All that being said, if you properly setup the Miss Geico or the Blackjack with stock motor and ESC with a good x642 prop can run darn close to 50mhp and you can save a bunch of $$$... here's a video of my son's Miss Geico on stock power, with upgraded bullet connectors, tuned rudder, blueprinted sponsons, a really nice x642 prop:

On the impulse, due to the mono hull it runs slower given the same power as the blackjack, so with a good prop (I also recommend x642 for 4S on the Impluse) you will probably get mid 40's. While that is a bit short of your target, that would be a rock solid reliable setup, plus the stock ESC is HIGHLY water resistant whereas the upgraded ESCs usually are not...

My personal strategy is to use monos for fun running in rough/windy conditions, and break out the cats (or hydros) for speed... and like I said, the stock power on the proboat cats can get you really close to 50 which is nice.

Chief

Hi kfelgnar,
    you have the same identical ideas as I do. To arrive on 50mph with 6s batt.
    As I said to other guy before it's important to stay under 35000rpm. On 6s with 1800kv motor, you're on 40000rpm.
    Staying on 35000, you can work also on propellers without pushing the electronics and transmition at the limit.
    Here, we're not just intrested in speed but most of all we want to have reliability I mean to have fun for some period in time.
    So the "basic" setup to have it is: 180amp SeaKing esc + 1500 - max.1600kv motor (Leopard 4074 - 4082) and Octura M445.
    Then you can choose the other bigger props and the other batteries with bigger C rating.
    Everything you need is available here on OSE shop. And also you can ask Steven for some suggestions.
    Salute, Niky.

Perfect,thank you for the advice. For now I will run the impulse with a new prop and wait on the motor/esc upgrade.

I just received my new BJ29 and with the x642 prop I picked up she really moves. I have already upgraded to 5.5 bullets and have done the strut mod. I've only run one set of batteries through it as the weather in B.C isn't the best but I am excited to spend more time tuning and getting the most out of it. Thanks again for the advice and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by kfelgnar View Post
    Perfect,thank you for the advice. For now I will run the impulse with a new prop and wait on the motor/esc upgrade.

I just received my new BJ29 and with the x642 prop I picked up she really moves. I have already upgraded to 5.5 bullets and have done the strut mod. I've only run one set of batteries through it as the weather in B.C isn't the best but I am excited to spend more time tuning and getting the most out of it. Thanks again for the advice and tips.

I just bought the impulse 31 v2 as well so far I'm liking it but i already burned out my first stock esc running 6s for over 12 runs. I have the miss geico 1500kv motor ready to go in with my new stock 80A esc replacement. I plan on running it on 5s with 42mm prop. I'm from BC as well located in Kelowna, looking for boating friends

I have run two stock PB motors on 6s but they can't take much prop. It's pretty hard on those small motors to push a big boat on 6s but if you don't care about how long they will last they are fine! Like I said I ran mine on 6s a lot and never smoked one yet but +1 one the 180a escape though!
    " Do you really need anouther boat "
    YEP!