Thread: Latest NEU Motors

Default Latest NEU Motors

Hi everyone. The front face on the latest motor I received from NEU is screwed on rather than the older billet style. To me, this screams 'cost save'. Anyone with motor knowledge have any opinions on this? Alignment/Concentricity/Durability, etc... All my older NEU's (which have been bullet proof) are billet cans.

Also, it looks like there is just standard 125°C shrink tube on the wires as well instead of the red, blue, and yellow hard coat.

Appreciate the feedback as I am considering buying another brand for the rest of my purchases.

Thanks,
    Pete

Cool

The screw-on PTO ends have been out for several years. They are well made and don't look like a cost-cutting feature - there are more parts than the old versions, all of which require human assembly (more cost). I never liked the idea of the one-piece cans anyway. As far as concentricity, etc. that is based on assembly tolerances, not design.

Mine have been fine as far as the can goes. I suggest you buy Leopard if you don't like Neu. They have much prettier paint.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

pics please

just received the neu 1530 i ordered dec.31 and the shrink wrap on the wires at the endbell was very loose on two of the three wires-----a little heat fixed the problem,but i can see why pete asked his questions! $300 for a motor is alot of money for the average person to spend. fluid--the first part of your reply was good but than you come out with your paint remark that makes you sound like a ten year old. not nice not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

Mine have been fine as far as the can goes. I suggest you buy Leopard if you don't like Neu. They have much prettier paint.

Whats wrong with Red?

Quote Originally Posted by bozo586 View Post
    fluid--the first part of your reply was good but than you come out with your paint remark that makes you sound like a ten year old. not nice not needed.
    LOL, He is just a grumpy old man and doesn't care (what anybody thinks) anymore. Better to burn out than fade away....
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Whats wrong with Red?
    I agree...I run red, black and gold motors.....all perform well...I can never be considered a "Paintist"

It's odd that Neu has gone to 3 piece design while TP has gone to 2 piece design very recently. With Neu you get more copper for an "X" length can compared to TP Power but, the price difference makes up for this. I'd never run a Leopard for competition. They (leopard) are like a Castle version (compared to Neu) of a TP Power. This is mearly my opinion, not real fact, it comes from what I have seen on the inside and what I've done to some motors.
    Nortavlag Bulc

The only thing that initially frustrated me when the new design change came out on the 1500 series was the 4mm bolt pattern changed (got a little wider) so I had to modify (redrill) a couple of my mounts, would have been nice to know the pattern change was coming while the mounts were being made. Beyond that I've been very pleased with all the Neu motors that I have used to both heat race and set records with. The very few times I've had any issues they have stood behind their products unlike some other vendors who I've read on here basically turned their backs on the customer. I will continue to choose Neu motors for my FE power source.
    Last edited by don ferrette; 01-08-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: grammar
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Reading through this, I think we all are becoming a bunch of grumps! I guess nobody is getting any younger (except me, hair dye does wonders!).

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I think for the most part the consensus is that NEU motors are still meeting expectations. I still would prefer a one piece can though (the bearing carrier lead drill is most likely done at the same time as the major material removal, maintaing concentricity and less tolerance stack-up).

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Reading through this, I think we all are becoming a bunch of grumps! I guess nobody is getting any younger (except me, hair dye does wonders!).

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I think for the most part the consensus is that NEU motors are still meeting expectations. I still would prefer a one piece can though (the bearing carrier lead drill is most likely done at the same time as the major material removal, maintaing concentricity and less tolerance stack-up).
    I don't think Steve Nue would do anything that would result in product problems.
    I like the idea of separate bearing plate ends. Great for production being able to adjust for rotor shaft diameters just by swapping to the bearing end plate you need. To days machines really make close tolerance parts switching and swapping NEU motor parts around might be an advantage for the end users too.
    None of us will leave anything alone we just can't do it. LOL
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

I can get Leopards and TP motors for FREE but I chose to run Neu motors and pay for them, nuff said!!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Cool

fluid--the first part of your reply was good but than you come out with your paint remark that makes you sound like a ten year old. not nice not needed.
    LOL, He is just a grumpy old man and doesn't care (what anybody thinks) anymore. Better to burn out than fade away....
    Jeeze, you kids apparently don't understand the concept of a smiley, must be new to the Internet. Try looking it up in Wikipeida, maybe that will help with your comprehension.

Two more for the Ignore list.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caruso View Post
    I don't think Steve Nue would do anything that would result in product problems.
    I'm confident too that if he did he would back up the product.

I would like neon orange painted motors. Maybe powder coated neon........because I actually am a child.

Pete, I had a motor unscrew itself. Not sure what era it was though. Pretty sure if was my oldest 1527/1y that I ran in Q. I lost a rudder and hit shore at a good clip. Found the motor was still mounted to the face but the can had twisted loose. Loctite. Never happened again. I still race the motor.
    Noisy person

How do some people make the claim that Neu and Lehner rate their KV numbers as "under load" ?? If rated loaded, then what load? I'm assuming TP Power and Leopard do not rate their motors this way but, I'll talk to Junlin (TP Power) about that.
    Nortavlag Bulc

That would make it easier to compare.

I've noticed many motors have the same can as a TP. Makes me wonder how many companies TP is building for.
    Noisy person

I think that the cans are make in one factory, rotors in another and stator in yet another (possibly) and simply assembled in a TP Power factory but, until I talk to Junlin, I'm just guessing from my communications with them (inferring from responses).
    Nortavlag Bulc

just buy NEU buy American!!!!! or if you're Canadian buy Canadian???? Sorry Ray I don't think there are any Canadian motors???? Oh and I like my motors black, long tubular black.......ahhhh, wait, no scratch that.

can someone post a some pics of the new neu design please id like to see for myself
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    Oh and I like my motors black, long tubular black.......ahhhh, wait, no scratch that.
    Balanced or with a touch of Vibration?

Gross.

That would explain why the TP cans and the TFL cans look almost the same.
    Noisy person

u figure it out Howard!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
    just buy NEU buy American!!!!! or if you're Canadian buy Canadian???? Sorry Ray I don't think there are any Canadian motors???? Oh and I like my motors black, long tubular black.......ahhhh, wait, no scratch that.
    I like to mix it up a bit. Keep Neu on their toes. I run both Americano and Chinese. Sometimes the KV is just right and that helps me decide. A plus with a new Company like TP Power is that sometimes they will try something new and custom if you ask nicely and give feedback
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Alexgar View Post
    can someone post a some pics of the new neu design please id like to see for myself
    thanks
    Here ya go-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

For reference sake how efficient are the TP motors? i seem to recall Steve doing a back to back inboat test with a Leopard that wasn't too impressive. Have they improved a lot since then?