Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 29" Skunk Works Vee

Oh, and the batteries were charged.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I've had that happen, set the timing to low(1*) and then test. If it works well then set it back to 7* and it should work.

I am not sure but I would try a normal timing setting what ever castle says that value is I have been looking at various speed controllers and more than one recommend the normal setting, and the advancing and playing with the timing may cause your motor or speed controller to malfunction. if you have another motor test everything out on that and see what happens,
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tylerm View Post
    I've had that happen, set the timing to low(1*) and then test. If it works well then set it back to 7* and it should work.
    Hey Tyler, that was your 100th post - you're a senior member now!!

I'm might just give the timing thing a try.

I'll have to see if I have a spare motor lying around.

Wholy crap it was to!
    The problem with the motor is weird, but obviously not uncommon
    Once i set mine back to 1* then up to 7* again it was fine
    Tyler.

Default Nope

Tried it. Didn't work.

Set the timing to 1 (Custom) updated the ESC and turned it all back on. The ESC beeped but nothing happened. I switched it back to the original setting (7) and the motor just twitched. Sometimes the motor beeped without moving.

Could the excessive heat form my first run (see post 15) have fried the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Could the excessive heat form my first run (see post 15) have fried the motor?
    Anyone?

I'm anxious because I want to order parts (if needed) and get the boat "fixed" before all the water around here gets hard.
    Last edited by Chop; 10-20-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Default Esc

Hi Chop;
    I don't have that brand ESC so take this with a grain of salt.
    My ESC did the same thing. At the time it happened, in the middle of a run, The ESC was set for 4S and I was running on 6S. That screwed up all the settings, that is my guess. I reprogrammed the ESC for 4S and everything has been fine, even running 5S. I haven't tried 6S again.
    So ! If you have a battery setting make sure it is set to what you are running and testing with. You must test the system with the same battery set up you want to run.
    Some times my motor just twitches if I am easing the throttle on for slow speed, but it takes off when I pull full throttle.
    Food for thought
    Viking
    That Viking www.How2RC.com PULSO
    Home made 36" DeepVee 50mph

I just looked at post 15 and have you smelled your motor? if you fried it it could smell like you did That is why I said in another post to try the system on a different motor, does it run ok if you apply throttle (full)?

Quote Originally Posted by peells View Post
    If you fried it it could smell like you did That is why I said in another post to try the system on a different motor, does it run ok if you apply throttle (full)?
    Good point. The motor smells clean.

I do not have another motor available to try the system out on.

My reply in post #38 is what I did with the existing motor. There is no setting for the number of (lipo) cells.

It has been awhile since I have plugged in my hydra if you are running a 4s setup the cut off voltage available for you is 12.0 volts under the cut off voltage drop down menu using the 3.0v per cell cut off that would be 3x4=12 (but you knew that right?) so charge up your lipos and give it a try! either that or get one of your buddys over with his boat and swap out speed controllers, and the cool thing about these castles is you do not need to plug them in to anything but the computer to set them up, I hope yours is the same

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Anyone?

At this point, the ESC just beeps at me after plugging in the batteries. Does this tell me anything? Cant find much "troubleshooting" information in the instructions that came with the Hydra 240.

well Chop my last hydra did that and they sent me a new one, so if it is not very old just get on line and find the on line form you will have to download and print, at casrlecreations.com, oh yea by the way the last time I sent mine back it took five weeks (that is the cruddy part) but they have a real great warranty program which is more than fair!!! with that said good luck in beating the ice, maybe you should get your self a back up esc, for these times, you should also see if one of your boating buddies can let you test your stuff on there motor (it shouldn't hurt )

I was afraid of that.

5 weeks from now puts us into early December. I bought my first boat about then last year. The day before it arrived we had our first hard freeze.

Hobby king has some sintillion 100 amp esc's for about 100 bucks and I think they have them in stock in their USA warehouse!! so you could get it in like 1 week and they are pretty tough but you need a receiver pack and I would recommend a programming card (I have to use a pistix with mine, write to fullers and ask about them via email) and then you will have a great back up unit mine has lasted a year with NO trouble running 6s lipo packs they are rated for 12s but I wont test it. 6s is more than enough for me. (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by peells View Post
    Hobby king has some sintillion 100 amp esc's for about 100 bucks and I think they have them in stock in their USA warehouse!! so you could get it in like 1 week and they are pretty tough but you need a receiver pack and I would recommend a programming card (I have to use a pistix with mine, write to fullers and ask about them via email) and then you will have a great back up unit mine has lasted a year with NO trouble running 6s lipo packs they are rated for 12s but I wont test it. 6s is more than enough for me. (for now)
    Will this 100A ESC work with a KB36 11XL motor, 4S lipo’s and a 47mm 3-blade prop?

I have a mystry 200A speed control that I can use, but it isn't water cooled.
    Last edited by Chop; 11-01-2008 at 10:21 AM.

yes Chop it will work with that setup I am currently using a 540XL 10 wind my self with an x438 prop, I an also running a computer fan on top of the cooling fins which works really well no over heating prob's just solder the the fans leads to the input side of the esc right at the board and every time you plug in on it comes, on this esc DO NOT use auto detect manually set it to the 4s configuration, where did you get a kb36?

oh yea make sure when ordering it is from the usa warehouse it will be marked as such, and do not get the 60 buck model it is not tough enough and do not forget to regester to there site it will save you some money.

The KB36 came with the boat.

Hobby king has the ESC you recommended on backorder, 3 to 5 weeks 'til they are in.

Can I use the Mystry 200A ESC that I have? I know that they are lo buc parts but can it handle the load? What would I have to do to make it work?

You still might need a pistix so it arms properly but it should handle it ummm, if it has an on board bec you might want to disable it (pull the red wire after setting it up) and use a receiver pack, see if OSE has esc cooling plates so you can get some cooling to it, I was using a HEXTRONIC 80 amp outfitted with cooling plates and a pistix and until I used it with a 6s setup it worked fine. so with 200 amps you should be ok, at least you have something to try. Contact Fuller's fast electrics via email and ask about a pistix you would get it in about 1 week (way better than 5)

I have a pistix, but I have not needed it on the Mystry ESC's that I have used so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12