Thread: RCBB 200a Speed Controller (2S-7S)

Default RCBB 200a Speed Controller (2S-7S)

Hey Guys,

I thought I would take the opportunity to plug a product that I have been very happy with. I have had limited experience with boat speed controllers, but have still had the opportunity to run a handful of turnigy, birdie and swordfish branded products. After receiving two swordfish 220a speed controllers which were basically dead on arrival, I was provided to opportunity to use a RCBB 200a unit.

Unboxing this product, I knew I was on to a good thing. It's physically about 30% larger than the swordwish and T180's. It's a great looking unit with some very neatly setup cap banks and with 8 gauge wires all round. The wires come really long, so you can basically install it into any hull without needing to extend the wires. Simply cut them down to the required lengths.

Out of the box it appears to be very water tight, which may be a good thing for someone who is not to comfortable with water proofing the unit. But like all boat related electronics I still used a little bit of CorrosionX just to make sure she was good to run.

Plugging the unit into the provided programing box, I was delighted to see that you have complete control over the setup. I am use to having adjustable punch, timing and battery configuration but this unit also provides you with options such as setting up the throttle curve. You can program timing by 1 degree increments to achieve your desired level.

Field Test:

My test boat for this review is a carbon fibre genesis running a single motor configuration. The motor is a TP 1600KV 4060 with a 3/16 drive line spinning a 4814 prop.

Results:

Testing the unit against the trusted Turnigy Marine 180a speedie, I was surprised to see how much more power the RCBB provided. I was expecting some better results due to the 20a difference. Running the T180 in my genesis cat, I was able to hit full throttle with speeds maxing out around the 95kmph mark.

Ripping out the T180 and replacing it with the RCBB 200a, I struggled to get past 3/4 throttle and the speeds were sitting at 101kmph. To reach 100% throttle with this speed controller I am going to have to fiddle with the strut position and wait for a day when the lake is glass.

The ESC was not even luke warm after a full battery cycle at 6S 50C.

Looks kinda like one of the Flier ESC's.
    Bigger caps though.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Looks kinda like one of the Flier ESC's.
    Bigger caps though.
    I think you are probably right, maybe a custom spec with the larger cap banks. None the less, that's not a bad thing Flier's seem to have a good reputation.

What ever they are, they represent good value for money in my eyes. Handy buy for us Aussies down-under.

Could you show a pic of the program box?

This is the program box on the RC Boat Blitz site http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....oducts_id=1217
    :canada

RCBB claims that the box is "manufactured by RCBB".

Here (on the bottom right) is the identical box as supplied for the FCR ESC's. Above it is the Hifei box (likely with the same internals) supplied for a Swordfish ESC I recently got. RCBB claims that their box is "for all RCBB brand ESC's" and they sell Swordfish ESC's.

DSC05230.JPG

Check out this link to see just who OEM's for who. (I'm beginning to think that all Chinese ESC's are made above a noodle shop in Guangzou City)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brus...rands-esc.html
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I've got a Hobbywing surface program box that I used for my SCTs ESCs and I'm using it on all my Hobbywing and Turnigy boat ESCs. I just made a copy of the marine label from their site, it's the exact same box just a different label.

All ESC's come from one overseas factory...."ECS's R Us" and at the end of the production lines they get individual shrink wrap and stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    All ESC's come from one overseas factory...."ECS's R Us" and at the end of the production lines they get individual shrink wrap and stickers.
    In some markets they also include a small piece of paper with your fortune on it.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Yep, Flier ESC.

Hehehe a fortune cookie must be supplied also telling you how handsome and strong and fast you are!

Sorry but i couldn't resist....

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Hehehe a fortune cookie must be supplied also telling you how handsome and strong and fast you are!

Sorry but i couldn't resist....
    Darn - mine said : "Hey Big Boy You Have Much Plobrem"

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    My ESC came in a take out box and said "Ready in 15 minute"....
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

BTW Fortune escs are mgm's cause tey have gold layer pcb!

But i know one person who makes his escs from pltinum layer pcb......

BTW Fortune escs are mgm's cause tey have gold layer pcb!

But i know one person who makes his escs from pltinum layer pcb......
    Fortune esc who makes those and can you give a link to them

Careful you'll upset doby !!!

I meant mgm compro for the gold layer pcb.
    At least is what the say.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Johnson View Post
    I think you are probably right, maybe a custom spec with the larger cap banks. None the less, that's not a bad thing Flier's seem to have a good reputation.

What ever they are, they represent good value for money in my eyes. Handy buy for us Aussies down-under.
    According to who?
    I keep seeing people who are new to FE saying that Flier ESCs have a good reputation...I can't for the life of me figure out where this is coming from. They have a history of spontaneous failure.
    Last edited by keithbradley; 12-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Aaron, what radio are you using? Your getting two "basically dead on arrival" swordfishes and having that much performance difference between ESCs suggests that those other ESCs may not have been seeing full thottle and you end points may have needed adjusting to suit them.

I wonder why MGM would use a gold layer in their circuit board? Copper conducts better, and golds reluctance to oxidise will not be put to use as the board will be lacquered.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Aaron, what radio are you using? Your getting two "basically dead on arrival" swordfishes and having that much performance difference between ESCs suggests that those other ESCs may not have been seeing full thottle and you end points may have needed adjusting to suit them.

I wonder why MGM would use a gold layer in their circuit board? Copper conducts better, and golds reluctance to oxidise will not be put to use as the board will be lacquered.
    Cause somehow need to justify their price.....

They do their own R&D instead of stealing other peoples intellectual property, and because of it the are state of the art technology and some of the best ESCs available, that justifies the price to me.

I'm sure they have a reason, but it is beyond my meagre knowledge as to what the reason is.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I agree but those prices are way too expensive.

Wonder what more can give you when people win SAW races with cheaper escs.....

I gues i will never find out.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post

Spektrum, there were threads here about turning up the throttle to 150% on the radio etc etc. All of these tips did not work. One ESC lasted for about 5 minutes of run time and the other never worked at all. It would calibrate but not turn the motor. The one that died after five minutes was running a 4060 1600kv, with no timing programmed, spinning a 4614 prop.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    According to who?
    I keep seeing people who are new to FE saying that Flier ESCs have a good reputation...I can't for the life of me figure out where this is coming from. They have a history of spontaneous failure.
    That assumption was made based on a search on this forum and finding a thread which appeared to suggest the good rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar22 View Post
    My ESC came in a take out box and said "Ready in 15 minute"....
    You mean "ready fry" in 15 min. Without any external cooking involved!

Has there been any change in them since FighterCat started selling them a few years ago?
    They were a bit of a disaster when first released, I've been avoiding them since then, don't hear that much about them anymore.....
    With luck they have it figured out now, no such thing as too much competition between manufacturers.
    Kind of hard to look at alternatives with the good track record of the T-180 and T-120 escs for cheapies.
    Have to try the new firmware available for the Swordfish, I think they are a good esc as well but have never gotten along with my Spektrum radios, never get full throttle calibration without playing with the travel. Don't like that! Work fine with my old AM Futaba Magnum Sport.....
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Johnson View Post
    Hey Guys,

I thought I would take the opportunity to plug a product that I have been very happy with. I have had limited experience with boat speed controllers, but have still had the opportunity to run a handful of turnigy, birdie and swordfish branded products. After receiving two swordfish 220a speed controllers which were basically dead on arrival, I was provided to opportunity to use a RCBB 200a unit.

Unboxing this product, I knew I was on to a good thing. It's physically about 30% larger than the swordwish and T180's. It's a great looking unit with some very neatly setup cap banks and with 8 gauge wires all round. The wires come really long, so you can basically install it into any hull without needing to extend the wires. Simply cut them down to the required lengths.

Out of the box it appears to be very water tight, which may be a good thing for someone who is not to comfortable with water proofing the unit. But like all boat related electronics I still used a little bit of CorrosionX just to make sure she was good to run.

Plugging the unit into the provided programing box, I was delighted to see that you have complete control over the setup. I am use to having adjustable punch, timing and battery configuration but this unit also provides you with options such as setting up the throttle curve. You can program timing by 1 degree increments to achieve your desired level.

Field Test:

My test boat for this review is a carbon fibre genesis running a single motor configuration. The motor is a TP 1600KV 4060 with a 3/16 drive line spinning a 4814 prop.

Results:

Testing the unit against the trusted Turnigy Marine 180a speedie, I was surprised to see how much more power the RCBB provided. I was expecting some better results due to the 20a difference. Running the T180 in my genesis cat, I was able to hit full throttle with speeds maxing out around the 95kmph mark.

Ripping out the T180 and replacing it with the RCBB 200a, I struggled to get past 3/4 throttle and the speeds were sitting at 101kmph. To reach 100% throttle with this speed controller I am going to have to fiddle with the strut position and wait for a day when the lake is glass.

The ESC was not even luke warm after a full battery cycle at 6S 50C.

is the esc still working?

Aaron Johnson runs a website promoting rcbb..... an interesting read when I saw it last year ..
    'everything rcbb is 100% AOK" ... laughed at some their 'tricks of the trade' ... some details as fed from rcbb .. who repeated my words from down my local lake LOL. rcbb no longer visits our lakes..

yes, those esc are Flier-rc .. hulls and hardware via TFL .. some the 'custom' hardware is ok, some snot ..lol ...avoid the big square struts .. bearings dont line up we mill out and fit roller bearings ...

Dont be too harsh on the bloke.. he tries hard ... buys the same cheap gear as other cheap rcboat stores .(eg HOR )... largest client base is to Countries embargoed or with delivery issues via USA
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @