Thread: SV motor and Speed control

Default SV motor and Speed control

I just wanted to advise those who want to run their SV motor with something other than the stock speed controller. Do yourselfs a favor and do not use any other speed controller other than the stock Aquacraft one. I have bench tested the SV with a Hydra 120 and found that the motor (which had been ran and tested with the stock speed-o) would get hot. I read on the red board that someone did run theirs and it got hot. Someone else suggested that he had a bad motor (which I do not beleive is the case). I also know of 2 other boaters who melted their motor and speed controller by using something other than the stock unit. Some have said they work (other controllers) but I know that they are limiting the life of the motor and maybe the speed-o. Just thought you all might like to save yourselves some heartache and $.

Also, in the red board post...the author noted that the motor was out of balance with the other speed-o. I came up with the same results with the Hydra. When I put the motor back on the stock speed-o it ran just fine again. The pulses or waves must not be condusive for the windings of the motor.
    Last edited by AlanN; 07-28-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Alan I would like to hear more of this. I have sold a bunch of hydra 120's to guys running aqua motors. I havent gotten that feedback. Its been quite the opposite. They have seen faster top speed and no extra heat that I have heard of. Have you emailed or called castle to ask about a solution? Seems if the Aqua 6 pole had problem, so would all the Neu motors.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I have only limited bench testing on this subject but I stated what my findings were.
    Neu motors are not the same as SV's. Nor are any other major brand of motor we have been using. Such as fiego, hacker, lehrner etc. I believe that the wave sent from the stock speed-o is different than what other brand speed-o's generate. Maybe there is another make that is similar but I do not know of it. As far as contacting Castle....I'll leave that up to someone else. I am very happy with the stock SV setup.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I have only limited bench testing on this subject but I stated what my findings were.
    Neu motors are not the same as SV's. Nor are any other major brand of motor we have been using. Such as fiego, hacker, lehrner etc. I believe that the wave sent from the stock speed-o is different than what other brand speed-o's generate. Maybe there is another make that is similar but I do not know of it. As far as contacting Castle....I'll leave that up to someone else. I am very happy with the stock SV setup.
    I have competed in RC rock crawling for several years on a national level and CC has been a life saver for firmware upgrades to keep our crawling rigs crawlin!

As for the BJ, SV and Neu motors they all have a 6 pole rotor configuration the others you listed are either 2 or 4. (Is pole the right word)......??

Pole is the coorect term

Neu motors are 4 pole and one size is 8 pole

Pletts are 8 pole

Hackers/Fiego are 2 pole

Not sure what the BJ's are.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Pole is the coorect term

Neu motors are 4 pole and one size is 8 pole

Pletts are 8 pole

Hackers/Fiego are 2 pole

Not sure what the BJ's are.
    you are right, bj's are 6

I don't have as much experience as alot of people do with the brushless motors, but from what I have seen with some of my testing, my motors tend to get hot if they spin a high rpm without enough load. I only say this from testing different setups and prop heights. I have had times where the boat won't get on plan, only cavitating. when I bring the boat back in to make the next adjustment, I check the temps, and they tend to be higher in that aspect. It may just be because the motor did have some load on it, but not enough cooling for it.
    Last edited by obrien; 07-28-2008 at 10:43 PM.

I would say that if the boat was cavitating instead of moving forward there would a distinct lack of cooling (ie no water flowing through the cooling curcuit) for the work being performed by the motor.

IMO, a motor will run hot if the controller is not correctly synced with the rotor due to the individual controller timing curve setting or wrong freq. Try the next (one higher than default, usually lowest) WPM or timing setting in your controller for the 6 pole motor and see if the motor runs cooler under load? Watch the amps.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 07-28-2008 at 11:05 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

All multiple pole motors run warmer than a 2 pole motor. And yes they run warmer without any load opposed to a slight load.