Thread: Just Bought an Impulse 31 V2 - any modifications before I test run?

Default Just Bought an Impulse 31 V2 - any modifications before I test run?

Bought this boat as a Christmas gift for my son....so I want it to be a successful trip to the pond. I removed the flex shaft and cleaned and re-greased. I blue locktited all the screws that were metal to metal. I also purchased a balanced and sharpened 42x55 grim racer prop and I will be running 4S lipo for starters.

It seems odd to me not to have all the electronics in a water tight box...similar to my gas boats...but maybe this doesn't leak...but how if you flip it over does some water not get in????

I am not new to boats as I have several much larger gas powered but this is my first electric so hopefully some things are the same...just smaller in size????

I was putting the flex shaft back in today and I notice that its does not turn easy at all. I even tried a couple different types of grease that were thinner. I am considering removing the .150 shaft and put a .187 shaft in as I think there is way too much resistance to the flex shaft. This would also allow me to replace that set screw motor shaft coupler (that I think is cheap). I also noticed that the .150 shaft is poorly made where it goes into the prop shaft. I even picked up a spare from HH and its worse than the original flex shaft due to the big glob of solder on the shaft. I would have to cut about 1/8" off of the teflon liner to use this flex shaft or remove some solder from the flex shaft.

When you say it does not turn easy ---What do you exactly mean by that? Do you hand turn just the prop shaft without it being connected to the motor? There is some resistance even if the prop shaft is free spinning. The liner ( silicon) gives that resistance but should be a smooth feel. On the other hand, if you have serious alignment issue, going to a .187 cable wouldn't help you. .
    I would stick with the thick grease. It should not increase resistance and you need the thickness to have a seal inside the tube.
    This should be an improvement over the stock one: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...able-impulse31
    Here is the heavy duty version which you need to run w/o the liner:
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...e-impulse31-HD
    Last edited by tlandauer; 12-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.

It's hard to turn NOT connected to the motor at least I think there is too much resistance compared to my gas boats. I have already ordered both parts you highlighted. Hopefully the quality is much better.

I installed the OSE replacement parts and now all is silky smooth. The stock shaft was not made straight when I examined it closely. The prop shaft and the flex cable is not aligned properly from the factory. I highly recommend the OSE upgrade to the stock boat. I may actually upgrade to the .187" shaft but first I am going to run the .150 with the liner and see how it runs. Other than that its all stock and back together just in time to give it to Santa Claus so he can leave it under the Christmas tree for my son. I hope all else it good with this boat....as I surely want my son to have a fun Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_rick View Post
    I installed the OSE replacement parts and now all is silky smooth. The stock shaft was not made straight when I examined it closely. The prop shaft and the flex cable is not aligned properly from the factory. I highly recommend the OSE upgrade to the stock boat. I may actually upgrade to the .187" shaft but first I am going to run the .150 with the liner and see how it runs. Other than that its all stock and back together just in time to give it to Santa Claus so he can leave it under the Christmas tree for my son. I hope all else it good with this boat....as I surely want my son to have a fun Christmas Day.
    Great to hear!! Your .150 cable should be enough for now.
    Happy Boating!

First two runs today on Christmas Day and it ran perfect. My son loved his new boat. It didn't seem real fast but it was just right for him. He wants more batteries now. Thanks everyone for your help making this day go well.

Happy Holidays!

My son is now ready for 5 cells. Anything I should change before I give this a try?

Hi,
    Before you add more lipos-- if you upgrade to a sharpened and balanced x642 prop and tune the handling correctly, and set the ESC to LINEAR throttle vs. the stock setting which is LOG throttle (which limits the top end to 80% throttle), you should hit low to mid-40's on 4S. If you shoot me an email at jqhydro@gmail.com I'll send you a setup guide that covers that plus upgrade information.

Before adding any more power, you will want to upgrade your connectors.

Chief

Hey Chief,
    do you still have that setup guide? Would like to see it. Just got this boat for Christ

Hey Chief,
    dDo you still have that setup guide? Would like to see it. Just got this boat for Christmas.

I don't know whether Chief got you the setup guide. But, he sent it to me recently. He sent it via separate email, so just shoot him an email at the address above in the post.

K

Quote Originally Posted by albroy View Post
    Hey Chief,
    dDo you still have that setup guide? Would like to see it. Just got this boat for Christmas.

Thanks kevmeist! Will do!

I've been talking to RC CHief quite a bit recently. Seems a really good guy and very knowledgeable too.

K

Quote Originally Posted by albroy View Post
    Thanks kevmeist! Will do!