Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MMEU Night at Larry's 12-17-13

So does this mean you are getting a buggy Terry? Spence, Tony, and I were having a blast with them (until I broke mine).

Mike - I'm staying old school for now. Found some parts on ebay. The car is probably older than half the kids that work there, but it was keeping up.

I have an RC10 Team buggy I bought in 1991. Aluminum tub.

I also have Big Bear with a solid steel bumper and a beetle body. That's from 1983 maybe. Great big marshmallow tires.

OH! There's a 4 wheel drive buggy from the 80's too. Called the Gallop I think. I have the same car in front wheel drive. Weird to drive.

I would like to have a newer buggy just to turn laps with. I can't be racing. I'm like a heroin addict.

What is the car of choice if you want to point and shoot? Do I need 4 wheel drive?

Most of the guys run 2wd. Associated B4, Losi 22, and the DEX buggy are pretty popular there.

Sounds like your stuff is as ancient as mine. 80's, 90's. 1991 was the year the Worlds were held over on Metro PKWY. Larry still has the shirt from one of the drivers from Japan!

I ran on that track at Freedom Hill.
    Noisy person

Terry,

You can find some good deals on rolling chassis on www.rctech.net Those guys are buying and selling stuff more often than I/we do...

Look for a used B4.1. They are discontinued since they have the B4.2 out, but I am pretty sure most of the parts are interchangeable...

Later,
    Mike
    Last edited by longballlumber; 12-19-2013 at 08:22 AM.

15 pages since yesterday. Yikes.
    Noisy person

Look at the losi 22.1 buggys there is alot of them for sale cause of the new 22.2 and the nice thing about the 22's is it can be set up mid motor or rear motor. Even the new in the box 22.1 can be found in $170 range your Slash I am sure would work pretty good with the low cg chassis and the right tires the chassis is aTraxxas part there $40 not a bad price

Quote Originally Posted by teetriple View Post
    Slash
    Hate it. Evil POS. Cars as a bad as boats. They all work. You just have to deal with what ever quirk comes with each one.

Does the Losi allow mid motor right out of the box?

Digging around I noticed there is a kit to convert an Associated B2.2 to mid motor. I also saw a mid motor Schumacher. Sweet looking ride but probably parts would be a bugger to get after I crash it. You know me. I'll probably hit the culvert all the way from Larry's

Glad you chimed in Tony. I only own a couple motors 2s friendly. Can I use a 5000kv motor with the right pinion? One less thing to buy.

It's funny to me................$280 for a boat speedo? Bring it! But spring for a Tekin?......hey ho wait a second that's a lot of dough for a toy.
    Noisy person

Terry the losi can be mid or rear motor right out of the kit all the parts come with it I think 5000kv motor is going to be to much I am running tekin 17.5 and it's only a 2400kv motor and it rips pretty good

haha Maybe I should put a AQ2030 in there.

The Losi might be the cheapest route to spin some laps. I just want something I can point and shoot and maybe work the throttle to keep from exploding it into the wall.

At least with the Losi the parts would be cheapish.
    Noisy person

If you are starting fresh, definitely get the 'custom works' tires they sell at Larry's. They work really well for that surface.

Picked up a lowering kit for the slash. Also found a Losing for 100 less than Larry's.
    Noisy person

Did you pick up the Traxxas one ? change the shock oil to 30 wt to start set the camber on all four wheels to 1.5 degrees neg set the ride hight to rear drive shafts level and front arms level try a clay tire something like barcodes this should be a good starting point

Yes I did. Thanks Tony.

I guess I'll need tires and a speedo for the losing too. I'll try the 5000 basic with an witty bitty pinion.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Yes I did. Thanks Tony.

I guess I'll need tires and a speedo for the losing too. I'll try the 5000 basic with an witty bitty pinion.
    Oh boy... you are in trouble... LOL get out your check book! That car racing thing isn't cheap either. Says the guy who was looking at used cars just before typing this! Ha ha

So Mike what car you getting ? try a buggy they are alot easier to set up to run on larrys just my opinion and cheaper to maintain

+1 Get a buggy! It's the F1 of off-road, although a lot of the other classes are catching up in lap times. SC is darn near buggy now with the low CG.

Hey - Does anyone know if Larry's sells wood? Note I said 'sells', not 'has'. Thx.

How much and what size are you looking for???

Larry doesn't have any plywood that I can recall.

Great Lakes Hobby has a very nice ply/blasa selection... however they don't have much beyond that for boats. It's mostly models (plastics), trains, die-cast, and slot cars. https://www.greatlakeshobby.com/

Another great place for what I call "hobby building supplies" is Prop Shop Hobbies. They have a great selection of all building supplies. http://www.propshophobbies.com/Default.asp

If your only looking for Plywood try looking at Michael's Craft store. They have it, but I am not sure they sell the large 12X48 sheets (I simply can't remember).

If you want to order in bulk you can get it shipped to your house from http://www.nationalbalsa.com/Default.asp

Later,
    Ball

Get it from US Balsa. Pennies on the dollar.

I'm NOT racing. Just turning laps to better my depth perception.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I'm NOT racing. Just turning laps to better my depth perception.
    Got it.... just going out for a Sunday (Tuesday) drive... LOL

Just messing,
    Ball

haha Do I keep changing to larger and larger wheels until it burns up and then dial it back a tick?
    Noisy person

Wow. You guys know your wood! Thanks!!!!!!

Nankin has ply too but prices are likely high. US Balsa, that's all they do.
    Noisy person

Hey guys. How many amps is normal for a ESC in a car?
    Noisy person

Max amps on most 10th scale ECS is 120 amps I think you would be fine with something in 90 amp range

Hey guys, just moved back to Michigan. Was a racer out in district 9 for the last 4 years. Maybe I can get my losi scte 4x4 out there when you all meet again. Only downside, is I don't have hard packs.

Not to many tracks around here enforce hard pack rules

I don't own any hard packs but I asked Bob to bring some in for me. I think he has some 5000 hard case's on the shelf.

Turns out the Slash sheared a pin off. First gear inside the case had sheared the pin that keys it's position on the shaft coming into the case. That's on a brushed motor. Not sure how that happens.
    Noisy person

Slash complete converted and repaired.......................................... ..yay
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast