Thread: Help deciding which boat to build

Default Help deciding which boat to build

Hello Gang,

I am new to FE boats but not new to RC (but still learning about brushless and Lipos though).
    I have had a Revolt for about a year now and have had a lot of fun with it but its time for another boat.

I recently bought a 4PLS radio and set it up in the Revolt, nice.

I would like to build my next boat but not sure what hull to start with.

Since I already have a mono with the Revolt I was thinking maybe a cat or hydro. There is no organized racing in my area (Tallahassee Fl) so I am not too concerned about fitting into a class, I am more of a lake/pond basher. With that said I would like to be able to set the boat up for racing if I ever decided to travel somewhere to try it. I used to race 2 wheel electric stock buggys in the 80s, early 90s and miss the adrenalin rush of competition.

I am thinking a cat would be best since they turn left and right well, as I understand it a Hydro is for racing and turning left is not fun. But I really like hydros.

I would like to stay with 4s power for sport bashing but would like to be able to bump up to 5s or 6s if the need arises.

Since I am running single 4s packs in my Revolt I would like to stay in single pack configurations but that is not a deal breaker.

So there is a little about me and my interests, please advise.

Thank you for your time,

Varooom (Doug)

If you want a cat and want to build from scratch then I'd recommend either the MeanMachine or the Cheetah. Both handle very well, unlike most of the narrow scale-like cats on the market. If you want an RTR then the Motley Crew or the Blackjack 29 are good choices. All can run very well on 4S power and the former two can easily carry 6S. Be advised that there is no motor which will work well on both voltages - it will either be too slow on 4S or too fast on 6S (for anything but a few SAW passes).

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks Fluid,

The Revolt is a RTR so I am done with that. Where is a good place to get a Cheetah hull, preferably in CF. I will start looking on the web now.

I understand about the motors, I would like to have 2, maybe 3 different motors for different setups.

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

"Tiqueman" here on the forum has Cheetah hulls and he has FC Shocker hulls in CF, real reasonable prices too!

"There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Joel posted a link to a really great deal. That boat would run great with 4s to each motor. If the cf cheetah is kinda pricey the fiberglass one can be had for $160 on fightercatracing.com