Thread: Servo recommendations

Default Servo recommendations

I have two builds going right now. A new P-spec Raptor and Phil Thomas Stealth. I want to use a Hitech HS-225mg in both. Will the 225 work or do I need to use a full size servo. Thanks for the suggestions.

Allen

Is space a real issue here? I prefer full size servos in general, but you can try the low profile ones :http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product
    Pricy but powerful: I use one in my Outboard Tunnel---S9551 Low-Profile
    S9551 Low Profile
    FUTM0661
    Volts Torque Speed
    4.8V 98 oz-in (7.0 kg-cm) 0.14 sec/60°
    6.0V 122 oz-in (8.8 kg-cm) 0.11 sec/60°
    spacer
    Dimensions Weight
    1-5/8 x 13/16 x 1 in
    (41 x 20 x 25 mm) 1.6 oz (45 g)

CM, 2BB, MG, WP
    This is a Futaba, for some reason the link at TowerHobbies doesn't work. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRWS8&P=ML

OK, I guess it worked.

Cool

I agree with T.L. I generally stick with full size servos whenever possible. I prefer the tried and true hs-645mg on 6v bec, but i've got a JR z4800s to play with in my villain on 6v. I personally wouldn't run the 225 servos. I always strip the gears in them. I like T.L's suggestion.

Here's the 225 specs:SPECS: L: 32.4mm x W: 16.8mm x H: 30.8mm (1.27" x 0.66" x 1.21")
    Transit: 0.14sec/60° (4.8V) 0.11sec/60° (6.0V)
    Torque @ 4.8V: 3.9 kg-cm, (54.2 oz-in)
    @ 6.0V: 4.8 kg-cm, (66.7 oz-in)
    Weight: 31g (1.09oz)

COMMENTS: The replacement metal gear set is HRCM6396

Here's Darin's p spec rigger build. You make find it informative :).
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...c-Rigger-Build

I have had a pretty much 100% success rate using the Spektrum Digital servos. The S6020 is generally powerful enough for any of your standard 4S applications.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMSS6020

I usually opt for the S6030, because I believe strongly in overkill... :)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMSS6030

If you need something a little more compact, there is also a "low profile" version:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMSS6070

Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

full size is the way to go....I have a couple of the s6030's in the stock pile and they are great servos....I have not had the best of luck with the hitec 645's on my spectrum dx3r pro and mr3000 recivers....but that just may be my radio problem...they seem to dance left and right all by themselves ...you might try some traxxas 2075's but they do have plastic gears I beleave....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I used Hitec exclusively for years. 225mg on anything under 12 Nimh. I use full size on everything now. Maybe for a 2s boat.

Recently I gave the Savox a try. Good grunt to dollar ratio and can be had water proof. I don't have enough laps with them to vouch for their quality but they've been good so far.
    Noisy person

Saving weight was my goal. I know it's only grams but I would think reducing weight all adds up to better efficiency and performance. These are my first race boats but I know I have to focus on dependability also.

I really appreciate your time, help and advice,

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    full size is the way to go....I have a couple of the s6030's in the stock pile and they are great servos....I have not had the best of luck with the hitec 645's on my spectrum dx3r pro and mr3000 recivers....but that just may be my radio problem...they seem to dance left and right all by themselves ...you might try some traxxas 2075's but they do have plastic gears I beleave....
    Give this a try: I had the same issue with this combination ( radio/servo)
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-booster-SPMCP

Hitec also makes a digital version of the 225 that is likely more reliable for the Raptor. Space is limited in riggers. Don't sweat the weight though. Especially in a Stealth. I ended putting my Stealth on a high fat diet to keep it on the water.
    Noisy person

I ran a full size servo in my old stealth. I run a Futaba S3016 in my FE Raptor.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Brian, what's it take to turn a Raptor? Maybe 3 degrees of rudder?
    Noisy person

I have about 3/16" of rudder throw.

Having slop free linkage is as important as servo choice.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I tried a Spektrum S6020 at one point and it had "slop" in its own gear mechanism. Is that normal, or is that out of spec? There was enough free slash that the wiggle it allowed in the outboard it was attached to was concerning.

Both Savox waterproof servos I have tried since have been better in that respect. SW-0231MG and SW-1210SG.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmak View Post
    I tried a Spektrum S6020 at one point and it had "slop" in its own gear mechanism. Is that normal, or is that out of spec? There was enough free slash that the wiggle it allowed in the outboard it was attached to was concerning.

Both Savox waterproof servos I have tried since have been better in that respect. SW-0231MG and SW-1210SG.
    I use Futaba S3305, it has an almost imperceptible slob in it as well, they are in the same price range. For my set ups so far that slob has not affected my control, and I also used one on my outboard and didn't seem to bother, it's hard to tell w/o first hand experience.

I run a HS-5245MG in a full P JAE rigger. I didn't have the choice of running a standard size servo with this boat but the boat turns stupid sharp with the mini. Use a standard size if you have the room but if your set up is good, a smaller servo can work on a P-Limited rigger.

For me it's Savox all the way, I've run them in everything from Crawlers to SCT and now Boats. I've had one failure in 5yrs. and it was my fault. I use the SW0231MG in all my boats, it's 208oz. and waterproof $45.00 range @ most hobby stores

Quote Originally Posted by mattmak View Post
    I tried a Spektrum S6020 at one point and it had "slop" in its own gear mechanism. Is that normal, or is that out of spec?
    I will have to double-check some of mine. I generally run the 6030 in almost everything, but I do have some 6020s as well. When powered up, I haven't noticed any perceivable "slop", but I will double-check tonight...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    208oz. and waterproof $45.00 range @ most hobby stores
    That's the power to dollar ratio I was talking about. I just put one in my 1/8 scale.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    That's the power to dollar ratio I was talking about. I just put one in my 1/8 scale.
    It's a little on the beefy side but it would have to be one wild ride to even come close to maxing that servo out! If you did max it out there'd be transom damage! lol Think about it, that's 13lbs.!

My scale weighs in at a mere 18 pounds. Could use it as an anchor for the retrieval boat.

I think the servos in that is 277oz. Boat turns on a dime though.
    Noisy person