Thread: my new and improved recovery build

Default my new and improved recovery build

I accidentally destroyed my previous recovery boat by hitting it with my miss geico. Yea. I cant drive lol. Tunnel vision is what I have. I gotta work on that. Well this drove me to build a nicer recovery boat. The other one worked flawlessly so basically made this one stronger and nicer built. I dont have a step by step build but ill do the best I can. I finished it up last night.

Heres the motor mounted. I used a plano water tight box to house everything.

20131128_181604.jpg

heres the frame. I mount the box to the carbon fiber plate.

20131129_205458.jpg

I did a carbon inlay (lol) mainly because I developed cracks in the bottom where I drilled dome holes and put loctite. The loctite made the plastic brittle.

20131130_131618.jpg

this setup is a tad heavier so the back end sat too far in the water.....so I made a float for it. Two pieces of foam cut to shape and then sanded and covered with one layer of carbon fiber and two coats of resin.

20131129_191558.jpg

Heres the internals assembled

20131201_122937.jpg
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

When will this creature see action?

Quote Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
    When will this creature see action?
    Everytime I drive! Lol cuz I cant drive worth a poo!

im trying to get my cheetah finished and finish my geico too. But I knew its more important to build the recovery first. I cannot be without one now. Especially as cold as its been. Im not going swimming in this cold ass water lol.

Safe to say the forklift design is most popular. What do you when your bobbing tho? I am still playing with ideas on that one.........any success?

Have you tested her out? Would like to see video of her on the water.

Nice job on the cf. Youve outdone yourself on this one. Your cheetah build will have a tough time beating this!

Quote Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post
    Safe to say the forklift design is most popular. What do you when your bobbing tho? I am still playing with ideas on that one.........any success?
    When its bobbing and just the nose is sticking out, I just drive it in really slow. Ive had it happen and it wil go veey slow and is very controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
    Have you tested her out? Would like to see video of her on the water.
    I havent yet on this one but I have a video of the old one. They are pretty much the same except the new one is built better.

Heres a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbXE...e_gdata_player

You know what helped me when my boat was way way out, those front sponson's are so low in the water, its hard for me to see exactly where I am at so I added a flag pole if you will at the tip at each one, totally helped out....... Ive tried it coming in slowly, but it just forces more water in and sinks before i get it in. As of right now very large gapped fishing net loosely attached front to back. Gets big and small pieces that were ripped off in a crash too. Down side is its drag

Quote Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post
    You know what helped me when my boat was way way out, those front sponson's are so low in the water, its hard for me to see exactly where I am at so I added a flag pole if you will at the tip at each one, totally helped out....... Ive tried it coming in slowly, but it just forces more water in and sinks before i get it in. As of right now very large gapped fishing net loosely attached front to back. Gets big and small pieces that were ripped off in a crash too. Down side is its drag
    I had some net in mind too

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    Nice job on the cf. Youve outdone yourself on this one. Your cheetah build will have a tough time beating this!
    Oooo I dunno. I think the cheetah build is going to be much nicer. Parts are starting to arrive for it so I can get back on it soon.

Cool

Nice rescue setup, I still have to get around to building one of these. My pal "l8rg8r" is working on an airboat rescue rig. It's gonna have a retractable boom on the front you can lower, to get under bobbing boats then hoist them up and return to shore. Its definetly looking interesting thus far.......

BTW, what diameter PVC are you using 1/2" or 3/4" ?. Thanks.
    Last edited by gsbuickman; 12-04-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Buick,

2 things that I have learned about building a rescue vessel that are non negotiable. 1) It needs to be reliable and as fast as possible 2) KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)

I have built every kind of rescue vessel out there, but at the end of the day, I end up right back at the simple setup. The less b.s. on it the less chance of something failing. The best I ever made, functionality and simplicity was carved out of a 10.00 styrafoam boogie board.. Think about it, its one piece, requires 3 cuts, and is durable, light, and fast. It was so good in fact some turd stole it........I am on the hunt for the right board again. If the I.D. is too wide, the boat will turn too much acting like a rudder and your *!***!***!***!** wont turn. All these little things I learned the hard way........lol But thats why its a HOBBY...... =)

Cool

What a great idea Tb, thanks. Wake boards are everywhere here. I bet I can find one on cl for about $10 too. If so I have an extra 700 class cordite 2500kv motor to push it with. That'll get her done.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    Nice rescue setup, I still have to get around to building one of these. My pal "l8rg8r" is working on an airboat rescue rig. It's gonna have a retractable boom on the front you can lower, to get under bobbing boats then hoist them up and return to shore. Its definetly looking interesting thus far.......

BTW, what diameter PVC are you using 1/2" or 3/4" ?. Thanks.
    3/4" also, I wouldn't do an airboat or something that does not have a good bit of drag. Ive found if it sits in tge water good and had good drag, its way more controllable and accurate placement is easy. Just a thought for you.