Thread: Completely Submerged Revolt 30, please advise

Default Completely Submerged Revolt 30, please advise

hi there, so just a few minutes ago, i had my revolt 30 out on the water with my brand new first time used turnigy 4s battery. I got caught on some lilipads, tried to use the pool life raft to get it out, and hit the top off the boat (yes it was taped down) and then after a while the boat started sinking, so i had to wade in there and get it. The entire boat was submerged, so rather than let the algae ridden pond water sit in there, I just rinsed everything down, now what?

is the battery going to be ok?
    servo?
    brushless motor?
    control receiver?

thanks all!

If its still pretty wet ou can douse it with distilled water to get the rest of the pond water off. I'm guessing ou don't have any corrosion x on hand? If you have wd40 you can spray that directly into the motor and on the bearings. Set up a fan and let it air dry for no less then 24 hrs. Don't try to power it up too soon or you will ruin it. If you let everything dry out completely you should be able to salvage everything. I would wait 2 days for it to dry to be on the safe side.

sweet thanks, do i spray wd 40 through the cooling lines? or right into the motor where the coils are, or both?

Rice is a good dessicant.

Where the coils are. Ideally it should be removed. After the wd 40 soak if you have an air compressor I'd blow it out. The motor should be fine for sure. It's the speed control, servo and rx you need to worry about. The AQ esc's are sealed up pretty good though so that should survive just fine also.

Ouch
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

thanks for the help guys, so, i put the battery and the controller receiver (tons of water inside, this one might not survive) in a bag of rice, wd40'd the motor. I'm going to wait til sat to start it up again, hope everything works

If the controller wasn't powered up it may be fine. Rubbing alcohol will a also displace water on electronics. Definitely leave all parts alone for a few days to a week after.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    If the controller wasn't powered up it may be fine. Rubbing alcohol will a also displace water on electronics. Definitely leave all parts alone for a few days to a week after.
    the boat was still plugged in with controller on when it went under

Still my experience(and plenty of it) that as long as you did not hit throttle it may live. Mostly my Castle's here but try it out in a week

cool, yea no throttle for me, i was too busy fishing it out to hold the controller :)

Huh? Its a boat but not water proof? My shockwave 26 got sunk a few times and I poured the water out and went right back to running it. All the equipment in it was claimed to be water proof. I went one step farther later on and coated everything electronic in epoxy. I don't drive well and I like to go really fast and that usually ends up in me sinking something. The epoxy works. I sink. Drain water out. Go back to running it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

glad to hear all of this, looks very promising!

My proboat combo and traxxas servo keep on ticking. I've sustained a few flips with my elam ending completely submerged. I just let her completely dry with the cowl off and she always works great the next time. I use a waterproof box for the receiver.

The Rx is the most forgiving. A little alcohol douse, dry, and off you go.

rx- Corrosion-X! Spirits might do more harm!

I've had the AQ ESC under water several times and it survived-- it is highly water resistant.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by nammer View Post
    sweet thanks, do i spray wd 40 through the cooling lines? or right into the motor where the coils are, or both?
    No need to do anything with the cooling lines-- the job of the cooling lines are to pump pond water into the water jacket and cooling plates on the ESC.

Your motor will work fine when dry, but using corrosion X can help extend the bearing life. I have an OPC tunnel with an exposed motor, so every time it capsizes it is under water (which is about every time I run it!).

Chief

PS, motor bearings can and should be replaced periodically

update, came back from vacay, put everything back together, plugged in battery, looks good to go, thanks for everybody's help!
    AquaCraft Revolt 30