Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres the best way to waterproof your electronics

Default Heres the best way to waterproof your electronics

I've searched on here and didn't find anything like what im about to tell you guys. Some of you may already know. I had this notion that being this stuff is in a boat....that may flip (well with my bad driving lol!) And take on water. Well this could get expensive really quick for me. So I had to have a for sure solution. So I figured out I can take each component apart and coat them with 5 minute epoxy. I've seen people use plasti-dip and a few other things but never epoxy. I mix some up and brush it over everything except the pins on the receiver. I seal it up around the base of them tho. Works on servos, esc's, and receivers. Hell, just about anything with a circuit board. The servo gears I pack with grease to keep the water out. Then the case I seal up the case with silicon whike im at it. Of course I wood excess sealer off when I put back together. I've sank my boat several times and its been under water for over 15 minutes at a time. Everything still works perfect. And guess what...the mr20p receiver that's supposed to be waterproof....I burned one up before figuring this out. Evidently they aren't too waterproof. Im gonna do another mr200 tonight and ill post pics of it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Ok. Took apart a brand new mr200 and a sky bec. The bec is a little harder because it has dip switches and dials. You just have to use a small brush and be careful.

The epoxy I use

20131116_181906.jpg

Here's the bec and receiver coated

20131116_183202.jpg

20131116_183212.jpg
    Last edited by kfxguy; 11-16-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks for posting.

Did a MR200 with the Performix liquid tape stuff and had it underwater for over a week in a sunk boat that was eventually recovered. Still works. All my MR200s and servo PCBs get treated with it.

Just for future reference, and maybe to save you some money and time, all of the Spektrum MR200's are already conformal coated. They are advertised as "water-resistant" I imagine for warrantee reasons, but they are, for all intensive purposes, already water-proof... It's one of the benefits of running the Spektrum marine series... If you had one "burn up" getting it wet, then I suspect something else was wrong. I suppose it can happen, but it's a very rare occurance.

Not a bad idea for other electronics, however... or just as a double-redundancy protection I suppose.

You can also just get some silicone based conformal coating from your local electronics store.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Just for future reference, and maybe to save you some money and time, all of the Spektrum MR200's are already conformal coated. They are advertised as "water-resistant" I imagine for warrantee reasons, but they are, for all intensive purposes, already water-proof... It's one of the benefits of running the Spektrum marine series... If you had one "burn up" getting it wet, then I suspect something else was wrong. I suppose it can happen, but it's a very rare occurance.

Not a bad idea for other electronics, however... or just as a double-redundancy protection I suppose.

You can also just get some silicone based conformal coating from your local electronics store.
    Thanks. I saw that the mr200 was already coated, but very lightly. I just know my sons shockwave 26 brushless took on water one time and the receiver stopped working. Makes me feel better to do it I guess. Everything else needs it. I even do my esc's with it. This stuff is like magic lol. No idea why everything with a circuit board isn't epoxy coated. I guess maybe for repair reasons.

I much rather this way than balloons or a waterproof box. It may be a little more work, but I don't mind it as I like to have a tidy looking interior. The plasti-dip is just too messy for me, you have to mask stuff off and takes too long to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I much rather this way than balloons or a waterproof box. It may be a little more work, but I don't mind it as I like to have a tidy looking interior. The plasti-dip is just too messy for me, you have to mask stuff off and takes too long to dry.

I agree with you there... I hated those balloons! :)

It's not a bad idea to do what you are doing. It's just that it shouldn't be necessary with these RXs... If you had some fail due to water exposure, you should really contact Spektrum and let them know. They would want to know if things aren't being manufactured correctly, and I'm certain would work to correct the problem.

I've personally never had one fail due to water exposure, but then, most of my boats stay dry inside.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

If you wish to use epoxy, you should use electronics grade epoxy. 3M DP270 comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I agree with you there... I hated those balloons! :)

It's not a bad idea to do what you are doing. It's just that it shouldn't be necessary with these RXs... If you had some fail due to water exposure, you should really contact Spektrum and let them know. They would want to know if things aren't being manufactured correctly, and I'm certain would work to correct the problem.

I've personally never had one fail due to water exposure, but then, most of my boats stay dry inside.
    I did....they sent me a new mr200 right away and I did this to it. Works perfect. Awesome customer service! I only own spektrum stuff. I think it was just a fluke because the one that went out didn't really look like it had a coating on it like the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by RayR View Post
    If you wish to use epoxy, you should use electronics grade epoxy. 3M DP270 comes to mind.
    Im sure I could get better epoxy and 3m stuff is always of high quality.....but since this epoxy I use works like a champ and its available at walmart for $3.....why change?

My son burned up a castle esc in one of his rc cars a couple months ago because he got it wet....well I bought him a replacement and did this to it....its still going. He is hard on stuff. Im going to do a couple more components in the next few days. I have some more projects im working on. Stay tuned.

You just have to watch that anything in the epoxy's don't attack or promote corrosion. A lesson learned long ago.

This stuff works good to.

? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

And some testing with it.

? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quick question for you guys...

Is there any advantage to using brand "x" liquid tape vs. brand "y"??

Example: Plastic Dip Liquid Tape... http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape - vs...
    CRC Urethane Seal Coat... http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/prod....aspx?id=18411 - I can't find either in local stores.

Local Lowe's & Home Depot only have this stuff... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...0#.UomI4zd-gwo - Went to Gardener Bender's website & there's nothing about that product.

OP of this thread... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...formal-coating - asks about Chemtronics Kon Form - I did a Google search, it's still available.

4 different products that all "claim" to be the best at protecting your electronic devices...

FYI: All are about the same price, around $7.50/can+ excluding shipping.

I use this stuff but the clear. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape

And also some industrial sealer that I get from a starter and alternator rebuild and repair shop,
    That I fix some stuff for.
    It's by Seymour, Orange tinted sealer 89-726-1.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Barnacle View Post
    Quick question for you guys...

Is there any advantage to using brand "x" liquid tape vs. brand "y"??

Example: Plastic Dip Liquid Tape... http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape - vs...
    CRC Urethane Seal Coat... http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/prod....aspx?id=18411 - I can't find either in local stores.

Local Lowe's & Home Depot only have this stuff... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...0#.UomI4zd-gwo - Went to Gardener Bender's website & there's nothing about that product.

OP of this thread... https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...formal-coating - asks about Chemtronics Kon Form - I did a Google search, it's still available.

4 different products that all "claim" to be the best at protecting your electronic devices...

FYI: All are about the same price, around $7.50/can+ excluding shipping.
    Im not sure about anything else....I've only used what I showed above. Its works for me and costs like $3 at walmart. I have no need to try anything else. Im not to sure why everyone is trying to find alternatives to this stuff. Its cheap. Its easily accessible. Its easy to apply. It works.

Will any of the water proofing cause the electronics to over heat?

Quote Originally Posted by jcgc View Post
    Will any of the water proofing cause the electronics to over heat?
    No because the heat sinks are not coated. Just the circuit board. I haven't had any problems. A thin coating of epoxy isn't going to retain heat anyway.

corrosion x

Quote Originally Posted by marko1au View Post
    corrosion x
    Ok.

I know there's been a few questions about this but I want yiu guys to think about something. If you put a thin coat of epoxy on the circuit board its going to protect it better than plasti dip and liquid electrical tape. Both of those can easily start peeling off leaving yiu with no protection and you not knowing about it until its too late. You do the epoxy and that's it. Nothing to worry with later. Its not going to peel off. I did my brand new spektrum receiver that came with my new dx4s I bought last week. I drove my buggy into a ditch full of water. It came out the other side and kept driving. I did this same thing to the circuit board inside the servo also. It wasn't on purpose either so im glad I did it. You can either do it and not worry about it or not do it and maybe sink your boat and wish you did. I've done several components and have not had one problem yet.

when fc racing was selling suppo product a couple came to me smelling of laquer based poly and i tried on a couple of the 3 channel hk rxs i used and it is my prefered waterproofing, still working and been dunked numerous times. Pulled open escs and rxs and spray a couple of times with heatsink intacted and is thin enough to penetrate the fets and waterproof them, my first tries were on 50 amp or less hk escs and happy enough to continue using it

this is it

http://www.rockler.com/deft-semi-glo...FUMV7Aod8EUA_w

Can someone tell me how I would epoxy this ESC? Do I take it apart to epoxy it or just do the underside of it where you can see the circuit board in pic? Do I epoxy the capacitors too? And do I do both sides of circuit board on my Tactic Rx? ....Thx Jeff

Attachment 110990
    Last edited by Jlov; 01-22-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Did you not look at the video's I posted above on using the spray on the esc and rx ?
    Dale has been using it for a few years now,
    And me to.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

I did not see them,but will have a look now. I just happened to have some of that exact epoxy laying around and have that brand new ESC ready to go in my boat. I have some black liquid electrical tape not clear. Would that work as well?

I did my Swordfish ESC and my receiver with the 5 min epoxy. Thanks for the tip Kfxguy

001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jlov View Post
    I did my Swordfish ESC and my receiver with the 5 min epoxy. Thanks for the tip Kfxguy

001.jpg
    Looks good! Glad someone listened! You can submerge it for as long as you want and it'll stay working. I just did my bec and fightercat esc.

Also a good conformal coating is this:

http://www.itwcp.de/detail-1201411-en.html

Specialy made for electronics.

I use it with on all of my electronics (esc-rx-servo) and it is clear like paint laquer.

Yea wont trust just epoxy again. This is what happened when it got wet after I epoxied it.......

036.jpg

Yea wont trust just epoxy again. This is what happened when it got wet after I epoxied it.......

036.jpg
    Im thinking its a little more to it than that. Ive never seen anything get wet and fry like that. Looks like it was run past its limit.

036.jpg
    I've seen many hifei marine escs burned like that.
    Probably it is not from epoxy but controller's fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast